Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stolen Skis. Do Insurance Companies Pay up?

Poster: A snowHead
While not planning to have my skis stolen I wonder what other snowHead have experience when gear has been stolen and a claim was made.

While leaving skis unsecured would probably invalidate any policy (as per the following quote)
Quote:
Independant - Stephen Wood
Saturday, 12 February 2000
Checking my insurance - a basic travel policy which included skiing - I found that it did cover theft. Except when the skis had been left unattended in an unsecured place. Bearing in mind that even hotel ski-rooms are often not locked at night, the only theft for which the company was guaranteed to pay out was one that occurred while the skis were being used. And I have not, as yet, heard of any cases of ski-jacking.

Leaving anything of value unattended in todays world is, infortunately, asking for trouble. So I'm ruling that out as negligence.
Even using the basic ski locks outside a restaurant can be circumventend with a pair of snips.
Ski rooms and lockers, balconies, cars all may be considered by us as safe. Do the policies cover us in these circumstances?
What is the 'real world ' experince of making claims in such situations? Are the insurance companies helpfull or do they make a song and dance of it?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I asked the advice of a friend who is 'in the insurance game'.
He suggested the best way to insure against ski theft was not to ski in France.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It does amaze me how people in ski resorts seem quite happy to leave £400+ of their hard-earned cash lying around for anyone to help themselves to. I realise it's not easy but when I owned skis I used a bicycle lock through the bindings to lock them to someone else's skis or the rack thing. I know such a device is a deterrent rather than an actual theft prevention measure but with so many unlocked skis about I figured any would be thief would go for an easier option...

You'd never leave your possessions lying around in the UK would you...?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
admin wrote:
I asked the advice of a friend who is 'in the insurance game'.
He suggested the best way to insure against ski theft was not to ski in France.

Lol I can relate too that wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We always split our skis up and then place the 'unmatched' pair as far apart as possible - no guarantee they won't be stolen but makes it a bit harder for any potential thief and as previously mentioned they would probably go for an easier option than hunting out the matching pair.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BMF_Skier wrote:
While not planning to have my skis stolen I wonder what other snowHead have experience when gear has been stolen and a claim was made.

While leaving skis unsecured would probably invalidate any policy (as per the following quote)
Quote:
Independant - Stephen Wood
Saturday, 12 February 2000
Checking my insurance - a basic travel policy which included skiing - I found that it did cover theft. Except when the skis had been left unattended in an unsecured place. Bearing in mind that even hotel ski-rooms are often not locked at night, the only theft for which the company was guaranteed to pay out was one that occurred while the skis were being used. And I have not, as yet, heard of any cases of ski-jacking.

Only some policies.

The one I used last year, the only exclusion is:
Quote:

Ski Equipment contained in or from an unattended motor vehicle between 9 p.m.
and 9 a.m. or between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. unless it is in a locked boot or covered
from view in a locked car.

Direct Travel has the following:
Quote:

6 Loss or theft of, or damage to, ski equipment unless it is:
a) on you all the time;
b) locked in the accommodation you are using on your journey or one-way trip;
c) in a locked store room during the day or night;
d) locked to secure racking (during daytime only), where a facility exists. If such a facility is not available then
you must take all reasonable steps to prevent loss, damage or theft to your ski equipment; or
e) contained out of sight in a secure baggage area and evidence exists of a forced and violent entry by an
unauthorised person.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Each policy will be different, you need to check the exact wording so you understand what situations are and are not covered.

If a theft does occur the onus is on you to prove the circumstances of your loss match those that would be covered on the policy. Its also worth checking if the skis would be covered on your home insurance personal possessions section, the cover may be wider, you have a more significant relationship with them, there tends to be a little more room for negotiation in my experience that way. If you do have any overlap of cover claim of the policy with the lowest excess/wider cover and the 2nd insurer will contribute to the claim on those terms.

Having had a substantial travel claim earlier this year i would advise that when making the police report through a translator make sure the exact statement is read back to you word for word so you know what has been said, insurers will have translations of the report done to make sure the circumstances match.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh and prevention is far easier than claiming, ie a ski lock costs a tenner, takes seconds to use and just makes it a bit of a faff for someone to walk off with your skis so a theif is more likely to pick up the unlocked ones surrounding yours.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So, has anyone made a recent and successfull claim?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not for skis, but for my avalanche transiever, shovel, probe and various other bits of skiing stuff yes.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What happens in case of rental skis?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lizski wrote:
What happens in case of rental skis?

Only the desparate would steal them?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Thought so, but still wondering if you would be liable. Going to France for first time, and never bothered to secure it before. Had experience where someone took mine at Zell am See by accident and went down lift, missed hours of skiing trying to sort it!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the Stolen Hire skis thing...
When I was living in LaPlange it was common knowledge that some of the more shady hire retailers would send people out to steal their own hire skis and then the poor tourist would be hit for an initial payment then have to claim back on the insurance. The skis were then filed and renumbered and the hire places would use them again and also claim the skis on their own insurance. Just a scam to watch out for. Evil or Very Mad
Rent from a TO recommended place then at least you have the TO to fall back on if anything goes wrong.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was informed by the guys in the ski hire shop in Bad Gastien that if my skis were lost or stolen I would be liable so I took out insurance of €15 with the ski hire shop. Maybe this is just a scam on their part to extract more money from me but I decided to pay it for peace of mind as I knew the theft of equipment was not covered on my holiday insurance.
snow report
If you are in a party with people who have rental ski's, swap one of your ski's with them, and then leave the rental ski face showing.Bingo.No theft.
snow conditions
lizski wrote:
Quote:

Thought so, but still wondering if you would be liable. Going to France for first time, and never bothered to secure it before. Had experience where someone took mine at Zell am See by accident and went down lift, missed hours of skiing trying to sort it!

Most of the policies do cover rental skis, but to a far lower (and probably not enough) value.

You will quite often get up to £1000 for your own kit, but only £400-£500 cover for hired gear.
latest report
I had my rental skis stolen from outside a mountain restaurant in the Peisey part of Les Arcs a few years ago.

I had bought the shop insurance but they still stung me for a €100 excess. (still, full value would have been c. €600).

Since then I always split the skis at least a few yards apart. I figure that with dozens of pairs around, a thief won't bother to look for mine.
snow report
Thanks for advice. Will be in Oz-en-oisans and make sure we have insurance. First time we are planning to hire better equipment, might be worth it.
snow report
I've been organising ski-parties of 6 to 12 for the last 15 years, and never had any problem with ski theft before. BUT this year in Les Eucherts (La Rosiere), we had two pairs nicked from outside a bar about 100 yards from the Rental Shop (Ski Set/Olypmic). Crying or Very sad
Some of the party (of eleven) had their own skis (£400-£600), some had rentals with the rental shop's own insurance, and some had rental skis but with only their own insurance. It was only the older, slightly damaged skis from this last group that got nicked (second-hand value £40-£80). The expensive, good condition skis, and the skis insured through the rental shop didn't get touched.
Of course Ski Set/Olympic were really helpful rolling eyes , and insisted on immediate payment of the full new price (£120-£240)
Odd? A bit iffy?
Draw your own conclusions: I couldn't possibly comment.
ski holidays
Pops Two Cups, interesting story....
snow report
The problem is that it's not really (generally) insurance that the shop sells. They sell some sort of indemnity... that sort of covers a bit of cost up to some sort of notional maximum amount.
ski holidays
Pops Two Cups, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:
The problem is that it's not really (generally) insurance that the shop sells. They sell some sort of indemnity... that sort of covers a bit of cost up to some sort of notional maximum amount.
Yes, ski shops self insure. A rental operation once showed me the maths... they did around 10,000 rentals per season across their outlets. They added about £4 per rental for "insurance". Most people took it because it was only £4. So, £40k in "insurance" turnover. They reckon they only lost a few grands worth of equipment per season. Rental shop insurance is a massive money spinner and many now charge a lot more than £4.
latest report
Bode Swiller, nice one!
Pops Two Cups, welcome to sHs.
latest report
So is it suggested that (some of) the ski rental establishments might be selling 'protection' rather than 'insurance'?

I'll update this thread when I get some feedback from the UK Insurance companies.

By the way, we paid one euro per day per pair, which, as Bode Swiller suggests, is a quite a bit more than £4/week.
ski holidays
Dog Tag say:

• For Dogtag Max or Dogtag Pro policies only, We will pay You up to a maximum of £2,000
Dogtag Max/£1,000 Dogtag Pro per each Insured Person if skis and ski equipment
belonging to or hired by You is/are damaged, stolen, destroyed or lost (and not recovered) in
the course of a Trip.
• For Dogtag Max or Dogtag Pro policies only, We will pay You the sum of £75 per complete
24 hours up to a maximum of £300 per each Insured Person if Your ski pass You are carrying
on Your person or have left in a safety box is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed in the course of
a Trip.
Skis and ski equipment are covered against damage or loss whilst in use.
Skis are covered when locked to a roof rack, which is itself locked to the roof of a vehicle.
Special conditions relating to claims
You must take sufficient precautions to secure the safety of Your skis, ski equipment and ski pass
and must not leave them Unattended at any time in a place to which the public has access.
What is not covered:
a) the £50 Policy Excess if skis or ski equipment belonging to or hired to you is/are damaged,
stolen, destroyed or lost (and not recovered) except where You have paid the Excess Waiver
premium;
b) any claim arising when You have purchased the Dogtag Base policy;
c) anything mentioned in the General Exclusions.

The interesting bit is:

You must take sufficient precautions to secure the safety of Your skis, ski equipment and ski pass
and must not leave them Unattended at any time in a place to which the public has access.

This implies that you can't leave them unattended even if you've locked them up. Yet they will cough up, apparently, if you leave them unattended if they are locked to a roof-rack

The simple answer seems to be for every restaurant to provide a roofrack outside for you to lock your skis to if you have this policy wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy