Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel insurance rip off - help!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As I think I've mentioned a few times wink we're going skiing for a month soon. We have an annual travel insurance policy with Direct Travel Insurance who were recommended on this site and allow 17 days of winter sports in their annual policy.

Our current policy runs our half way through our break so the new one will start the following day. As there is not more than 17 days on either policy I thought we would be covered BUT I'm now advised that we are not covered because the whole trip is longer than 17 days.

The annual policy costs £80 but they want to charge me almost £60 for the extra cover!!!

I also thought the Excess waiver would be a good idea to avoid paying an excess if we claim but we would have to pay it THREE times - once on each annual policy AND once on the extra cover policy - DAYLIGHT ROBBERY!

Any idea how I can get cover without forking out £60 or more to line the pockets of DT?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What if you weren't skiing for more than 17 days while you were there and were "sight seeing" or something. Would it be their responsibility or yours to prove you weren't skiing? Just a thought...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just a thought if you only want medical cover etc for the extra days as you are in resort so no travel delay, you could opt for carte neige if in France then look for a day trip policy for the return travel, not sure if legal, but I guess on a ski trip the medical side is the most important to have.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why not get another annual policy with a different company to start when the original runs out.

There are plenty out there just as competitive.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marmalade, A one off, single trip policy just to cover your trip would almost certainly be cheaper.

I have to say, despite Helen Beaumont's recent praise for Direct Travel we have changed to Dogtag this year because there seem to be more and more of these type of niggles with their cover! They seem to be finding more and more ways of saying that you're not covered for x or y and charging more. I'd rather they upped the premium and included everything.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
marmalade, Direct Travel's policy covers 17 days of winter sports per trip, not per season - you could always nip back to the UK for a night in the middle! I had to do the same thing as you a few years ago - it cost me £27 for an extra 10 days, IIRC. You could take out a single trip policy, but if you do, I would suggest that you get a quote from Direct Travel. If you use another travel insurer, and something unfortunate happens such that you need to claim, the settlement of the claim will be held up while the insurers argue about who's responsible for what (your claim form will ask if you have another travel policy and with whom, and your claim would be invalidated if you don't declare it).

I don't work for DT, by the way!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marmalade, fairly obviously, you could continue with a different insurere if you can find a different policy which is more or less as good as your current one. I wouldn't go for the excess waiver, though; they always seem to be very expensive for what they offer (even if you don't have to pay three times).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree excess waivers are not very good value for money. Do a single trip policy, then re-start an annual one at a time of year when you're less likely to be travelling.

Would strongly advise against trying to cheat. You will always find cover for long trips expensive. Ours (Ski Club) is quite expensive. I gave up on dogtag when they just refused to provide any clear statement of how their off piste cover would work in Europe.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marmalade, isn't there a direct travel policy that gives more days per trip? If there is indeed, how much to upgrade to that?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As far as ski holidays are concerned, there are unlimited trips of 17 days or less on both their Premium and Premium plus policies, not a maximum of 17 days per season. Have a couple of days in Turin perhaps? All you would need to do was stay somewhere overnight.
For medical expenses, there is no excess anyway if you use your EHIC card.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy