Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

High snow for April 11th in France/Italy etc

Poster: A snowHead
Am only able to have work time off round about Easter and am worried that there will be no snow as it is April 10th week. Any ideas for a family comprising hubby and daughter (16) who are good intermediates and me who is a basic just-a-bit better than a beginner plase?
Want somewhere fairly snow sure, was recommended Val Thorens - what does anyone think please? I need help, cos if I get this wrong I will never hear the end of it. Not really bothered about night life as we're usually too tired to do much!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fificat, I do hope that Val T will be okay then - there will be over one hundred snowHeads arriving on the 18th April snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fificat, VT would work... Cervinia in Italy has similar easy skiing and good snow (10x better food in Cervinia though... wink )
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fificat, you a cert for Europe?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No, not necessarily but trying not to spend squillions, if that is possible this year....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fificat, wait a minute, you are from Scotland, April is prime Scots ski time! Throw a budget in to the mix and you might get some better responses/more specific suggestions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
arv, hang on dude - surely ecosse can never be descrided as "fairly snow sure" other than that you can be fairly sure that all 3 'runs' will be bare?

Early March, maybe, but Easter??
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes and so are you! But I am from the Borders and only just in Scotland regrettably!
No real budget either, which doesn't help I know. Depends what I can find really, just want some guaranteed snow and a comfortable not-too-noisy place to stay!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27, I was half joking. Last couple of years I have skied excellent conditions in Scotland right through April.

Don't rule out Banff....... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
arv, ah - should have realised.... how is your bank-funded season going - I still feel guilty about those 'pants' wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Rosiere/La Thuile. You could still ski down to resort level in LT in mid-April a couple of years ago, in what was an allegedly bad snow season. Ski area well suited to your level(s)fificat. Val Thorens will also be fine.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have a family ski trip in the 3 Valleys every year at easter - you can't go wrong. This year we are going the week before the one you plan.

As we have an apartment in Les Menuires, we stay there. Our apartment is in Les Hameau des Airelles, which is in most of the TO brochures or you can book (usually with a discount) direct with Belambra " http://www.belambra-vvf.fr/ ". This is a 4 year old challet style complex which was built by MGM with swimming pool and suana which being about 1000M from the resort centre is quiet and family orientated. We were able to ski door to door during the week you are going last year, though this can't always be guaranteed as you need to ski down to the La Bettex chair to get back to the complex it's one of the lowest runs in the resort, though as I say it was fine last year.

The skiing has been fantastic in the 3V over the past few easters though the lower runs get pretty soft later in the afternoon. Take plenty sun cream.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Val D'sere and Tignes was amazing last easter, best snow i'd ever skied and on all week long too - it was brilliant
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

last easter, best snow i'd ever skied

Last easter was 21 March, a big difference from mid April.

Also very interested in best snowsure places mid to end April. We have our schoolholidays April in South Africa- so far I have taken the kids out of school on extended midterm breaks for skiing in March. Half of our skicosts are the flights to Europe and we cant risk not having snow. Kids getting bigger and will have to take schoolhols next year.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Also very interested in best snowsure places mid to end April.

Sweden and Norway? Or anywhere with a glacier; Chamonix or Tignes in France.
ski holidays
peeps always screen bout chamonix being good easter skiing - not so. take a look at the piste map, lot of it south facing piste and actually look at the height - not all that high.

early morning was worst frozen ice ever been on and by 11am the thaw had well and truly happened. by 1pm it was impossible...

don't bovva wiv alpe d'huez - it is nearly all south facing and woz defrosting big time at christmas and higher up we went - hotter it got.

look for resorts wiv most slopes over 2000metres and lot of north facing slopes, lot of piste in 3 valleys below 2000, however slopes in all directions
snow report
innerspaceservices wrote:
peeps always screen bout chamonix being good easter skiing - not so. take a look at the piste map, lot of it south facing piste and actually look at the height - not all that high.

early morning was worst frozen ice ever been on and by 11am the thaw had well and truly happened. by 1pm it was impossible...

don't bovva wiv alpe d'huez - it is nearly all south facing and woz defrosting big time at christmas and higher up we went - hotter it got.

look for resorts wiv most slopes over 2000metres and lot of north facing slopes, lot of piste in 3 valleys below 2000, however slopes in all directions

Actually Easter in ADH last year was the best snow of the season. It was also good the year before.
snow conditions
Val Thoren sounds good, also close to glacier?
ski holidays
jonty, just remember that Easter was more than 3 weeks earlier last year, makes a big difference at end of season.
snow conditions
fificat, LDA would be fine - we always have lots of snow in April and you can ski on the glacier (gentle) for sure since we ski there in June, July and August! VT itself is fairly limited, although I presume you could also ski the 3V at that time of year. Don't be conned by a high resort - think high skiing and look at the top and bottom before committing.

red 27, Scotland is often at it's best in April - I've skied through to May several times without hiking.

jonty, But it can be terrible later in the season if it's hot with all those south facing slopes right in the village - I've skied rock ice in the morning and deeeeeep slush in the afternoon before - generally north facing slopes are better for holding snow and condition. Very good for beginners in mid season though.

lizski, see above.
snow report
Hi there,
I'm in the same situation and can only go during the school holidays. For the last two years we have gone to Sestriere (2007) and Solden (2008).
For both of these we got a late booking and it was end of March, beginning of April, and the snow conditions were great- but we were lucky. Give it another week and I can imagine that the snow wouldn't be quite as good. When we went to Sestriere, the pistes were very bare on the other side of the mountain down to Sauze D'oulx, so we stayed on the Sestriere side. Solden is very snow sure as it has two excellent glaciers and mountains that go up to 3000m- in addition to this Obergurgl is a short bus ride away further down the mountain valley and is also considered very snow sure.
I have also stayed in Cervinia, this was a pre-Christmas holiday, but I would assume the conditions will be pretty good at the time you're considering going.
I've heard that resorts in Sweden and Norway are pretty good for late skiing, but there aren't the same level of flights from regional airports outside of London. The advice already posted is good- Val Thorens and Tignes would be a good bet if going to France.
I'm going skiing this Feb half term, but will be looking for a cheapish ski trip at Easter. I always wait and book a late deal which has worked really well for me- eg. Sestriere was £340pp half board and Solden was £306pp half board!
Good luck! Very Happy
ski holidays
Finding affordable flights from South Africa to Sweden and Norway almost impossible, and our currency far worse. I also find the European resorts better/ more varied, although Euro also killing us. Can usually do 2 weeks and 2 different resorts on one flight. (So many resorts so little time!)
Booking late sounds good value, bit of problem because we have to apply for visa early and need paid confirmed accommodation for that. Thanks for all suggestions.
ski holidays
Thanks so much with all this information -I am trying to assemble it and organise a trip. Thanks everyone.
snow conditions
fificat, one possibility, given that there is usually plenty of accommodation available late in the season, is to book flights and stay flexible for a while about where to go. If it's a warm end of season, a bit short of snow, you could then go somewhere like Les Deux Alpes. If, like the last two years, March/April conditions are great, you have a wider choice. Aspect of slopes becomes critical. For example Les Contamines, though not high altitude, is a good place late season (people come from Chamonix to find snow.... wink because of aspect.
ski holidays
I had sort of thought about that - found some good flights yesterday, but didn't have the nerve to buy them, but it's a great idea. I am so indecisive nowadays, must be an age thing!
latest report
Val Thorens or Tignes in France, Zermatt or Saas-Fee in Switserland, Ischgl in Austria. Take one of these and you'll have guaranteed snow.
latest report
We've skied the past 3 May Day Bank Hol weekends in the Espace Killy (Tignes & Val D'Isere) and have had about 90% of the runs open each time - ie hundreds of km of piste. Last year we skied down to 1500m as they do an excellent job of keeping open the runs to the various villages.

Consequently you would have no problem in April for snow reliability.

You may be interested in having a look at the link below. We've stayed there and it's a very nice, cosy apartment which is very handily placed for everything in Tignes:-

http://tignes.co.uk/Chalet_Club.htm

I agree with Pam W - book your flights. There will be no need to wait until later to book your accommodation as you can't go wrong with Tignes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy