Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can skinny people....

Poster: A snowHead
.... ever stay warm enough to ski properly? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd like to go 'on record' and say that I never, ever get cold whilst skiing wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nope. They're malnourished, so it stands to reason that they don't have the strength to stay warm. Or ski decently. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, I wish I could tell you.... Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vetski, Shocked wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
vetski, agreed. Why don't these people just eat more Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Though the thread is clearly meant in jest, I think keeping warm is an issue for thin people. Having helped at the Mud Race over the New Year on an incredibly cold day it was my impression that those who suffered from the cold the most were those competitors with the lower BMI's.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BMI, BMF, you know them all girl Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, I agree, if it's a cold day, i'd happily permit any skinny girls to snuggle up and keep warm on the chairlift. I'm an altruistic kind of guy. wink

Of course vetski, if it's really cold, I'd ditch them and seek comfort and solace among the more ample-bosomed snowheadette snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Keeping warm is definitely not just an issue for skinny people. I am not skinny by any stretch of the imagination and am permanently freezing. Once the outside temp drops below about 20C my hands and feet are pretty iceberg like. Even with the warmest gloves I can find and inner gloves, my hands rarely get hot whilst skiing. Eating more just diverts the available warm blood to the digestive areas making the extremeties even chillier! Raynaud's syndrome I may hear some of you say-quite probably, says me.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skinny people (or light people to be more accurate) also find it harder to ski faster - simple gravity! We have to work a whole lot harder to keep up, ha ha!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't know any skinny people. My mates and I are bound together by our mutual love of chocolate... Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, It is a real problem. wink

Actually, I come from a female line of big-assed women. It's called the 'Bertwistle Bottom'.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If I get cold I just find a fat bird to cuddle up to. They're always grateful for the attention.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hyweljenkins, who says they'd share it with you! There's probably plenty of deserving cute boys who suddenly find having a size 8 girlfriend has its flaws. snowHead
snow report
queen_sheba, No flaw! The "cute size 8" girlfriend doesn't ski, she just sits in the lodge all day with her hair in bunches & his "spare stuff" in her Pikachu rucksack! Wink

Having lost a whopping 8 stone I can tell you that I'm permanently bloody freezing, lard = superior comfort & warmth! Wink
ski holidays
Alexandra, get better gear. I've never been cold on a mountain because I wear appropriate gear.

It's simple - thin people have more scope to stay warm in extreme temperatures. I can put a tshirt on first, then another, then another (all size Small). Then I can put Medium stuff on. Then Large. Then XL. Then XXL. Then XXXL. Then I can do the same with outer layers.
snow conditions
Nope. Skinny people will be physiologically challenged, just like fat people. People with a normal BMI will more likely be giving themselves the best chance. Then they'll just have the environmental, equipment, physical, psychological, technical and tactical to sort out and the job's a good'un!
snow conditions
slikedges, "normal BMI"? Irrelevant. BMI is a fallacy.
latest report
My 8-pack acts like a muscle duvet.
ski holidays
twiggy people on skis look tragic.
snow report
What is BMI? I thought it were an airline...? Very Happy
snow conditions
hyweljenkins, some claim so but there's still a flat earth society. The BMI is relevant and useful. Sorry to have to tell you I and most of my sane and non-partisan colleagues believe it, and what's worse are making decisions on real people with it daily. Twisted Evil
latest report
queen bodecia, yes dear, an airline
latest report
hyweljenkins wrote:
Alexandra, get better gear. I've never been cold on a mountain because I wear appropriate gear.

It's simple - thin people have more scope to stay warm in extreme temperatures. I can put a tshirt on first, then another, then another (all size Small). Then I can put Medium stuff on. Then Large. Then XL. Then XXL. Then XXXL. Then I can do the same with outer layers.

Dead right. I wear my wool-mix Helly Hensens 3 at a time - long sleeve vests & longjohns. Then on the bottom: a good pair of moleskins, and then the ski trousers (the feather-filled "duvet" trousers are for when it's really cold...). On the top: a wool shirt, 4/5 thin wool jumpers, a thick wool jumper, a fleece and then my XL ski jacket - which has space under it for a "duvet" gillet in cases of emergency.

People then wonder why I ski without gloves or hat all day...

Oh yes, and please note the preponderance of proper fabrics. The only polyester is in the Helly Hensens, the optional fleece and the ski jacket.

Of course with all that on, I cannot possibly move, but whilst I am able to compete on the weight front with the lard boys, the air resistance stops me from going down the hill. Oh yes, and I have to get up 20 minutes earlier than everybody else. But I am NEVER cold when out of doors.
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
Skinny people (or light people to be more accurate) also find it harder to ski faster - simple gravity!

Not 'simple gravity', but 'complicated air-resistance'. A feather and a cannon ball will descend at the same rate in a vacuum, but not through air.
snow report
James the Last, you missed the point. In extreme weather slim people can put on more layers. I wasn't about skiing, when I just wear a tshirt and my ski jacket. I managed fine in Banff's -30C three years ago, Val d'Isere's -20C last year and will, no doubt, manage just fine this year.
ski holidays
scarr, well, well... wink

hyweljenkins, in yer dreams. We girls with a little more to offer tend to be the recipients of gratitude. "We're bouncy, bouncy,bouncy, bouncy, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!" (with apologies to Tigger, AA Milne and Disney)

In terms of dimension, I'm no Twiglet, but I feel the cold terribly - hands and feet especially.

The best thing about really skinny people on ski slopes? Seeing how far they fly when you bump into 'em Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Slim people. We're just better.
latest report
Quote:
Slim people. We're just better.

...at being slalom poles. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Having been skiing in Ruka, Finland (just south of the arctic circle) in January in temperatures less than - 30 (not even taking windchill into account), I can safely say fat or thin, good gear or not we were all bl00dy freezing!! Razz
ski holidays
Skinny people make excellent emergency stop barriers. If out of control then smashing into one can often half ones speed with no injury to oneself.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Toofy Grin You can use me as your Emergency Barrier Woobie any time you like!
snow conditions
A skinny version of the "security blanket" would be a "security sheet" Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, if short and skinny, perhaps a "security hankie"? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
I'm fairly skinny and only wear a thermal T under a gore-tex in some quite severe weather. As long as I'm moving I stay warm.
snow report
Maybe I'm just unfit and cr@p Laughing
snow conditions
vetski,
Quote:

"security hankie"?
that makes me a security hankie then.
Quote:

I don't know any skinny people. My mates and I are bound together by our mutual love of chocolate...

queen bodecia, I could be the first! cant resist the stuff, Staying catered chalet, shall not stop for lunch but will take about 4 bags of fun size bars to stuff in every pocket Toofy Grin

I dont get cold skiing but freeze to death on the lifts.

Advice to all other skinny skiers. DONT fall over on the dry slope. I got the biggest b****y bruise on my backside last year. It was so spectacular I took a photo to remind me not to do it again. Am I mad I am planning to go to southampton on Sunday?
snow conditions
If you get cold whilst skiing, you're not working had enough. It's sitting on the lifts that I get cold. I'm skinny as the come by the way.
snow report
Fergus, agreed from another skinny Toofy Grin although I dont really get cold on the lifts either Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy