Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Apres Suggestions in St. Anton?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to St. Anton for a week on Sunday. As it's my first time there (my fourth time skiing in Austria), I was hoping I could get a few suggestions for decent apres venues. I'm just as keen to find out about quieter, more relaxed places as well as the raucous ones. Any suggestions are welcome.

I was in Les Deux Alpes last year and it was far from cheap. I know that with the exchange rate not being favourable (thanks, Gordon!) prices are likely to be steep. So, how much should I expect to pay for a beer?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wheeles, the Kangaroo Bar is a hoot. Just 2-300m from the the bottom of the home run back into St Anton you can stop there at the end of the day and then challenge yourself to ski down in the dark Madeye-Smiley. Great fun snowHead
For quieter apres, there's a fab and funky cafe bar across the road from the bottom of Gampen gondola - it's part of a swish modern hotel, who's name I can't recall (very Phillipe Stark though). Their pumpkin soup is superb!
Have a great time snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'd be better off with a decaf latte, then an early night........ wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, flowa and chrisdave. I'm not a big drinker, so don't intend to get plastered. It's just nice to know where to go straight off the bat rather than spend half the week getting oriented.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
also try the Moose, on the same slope as the Kanguruh on the way down to St.Anton - and its fun skiing back to resort in the dark. Just be careful as someone was killed skiing back while we were there. Shocked

Its not a big place so head to where you hear the music. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bobo's in the town centre is one of our favourites - great food in the traditional Austrian TexMex style..........

The Underground used to be a good live music gig location too, didn't get there last year though. Is it still there?

Dave
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wheeles,

The apres ski starts in the many bars on the slopes, just be careful skiing down to the town in the dark.

On the slopes the Krazy Kangaru and Mooserwirt are very famous. I personally prefer the Mooserwirt it's Austrian slant on pop music is fun. It will be too cold next week to sit on the outside terrace. Further up the slope are the Heustadl and I can't remember the name of the other bar on the slopes. The are all noisy/busy. Opposite the Mooserwirt is a quieter bar called Griabli they may have live music o acouple of afternoons each week.

Underground on the piste is a lovely bar it's an old wooden chalet type of building with a singing guitar player it's just about 200 metres up the piste from the bottom station of the Galzic Gondola Station (The amazing steel and glass lift station). Thre's a gate off the piste to the bar next to the Ski Museum.

There is a bar every 10 metres down the pedestrian high street but most are hidden in the basements below the shops. Starting at the Galzig/Tourist Office end of the high street and going east the bars are:-

Platzl - a quieter small bar, may have relaxed live music.

Funky Chicken - very crowded, very noisy, very young, very dark.

Piccadilly - below the Hotel Post has live bands (there's also the Postkeller night club through the same door off the high street).

Opposite Piccadilly is the Kandahar Bar/Disco

Further down the road in basements are Bo Bos, Bar Cuba, Hazienda.

Scotty's is the bar in the Rosanna Hotel near the pharmacy which is off the high street, opposite the new railway station.

There are loads of other bars.

Where are you staying in St Anton?

y are on just off the main blu
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MazDave,

Unfortunately Underground in town went 2/3 years ago, Joan's lease wasn't renewed. It was one of my favourites, now have to pop into the one on the piste. I haven't been to the new place that's there now.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wheeles, My ideal apres would be to kick off at about 3.30 with a few pints in the Griabli (which is just opposite the Mooserwirt) as they serve a great pint of Kaiser - sometimes they have live music too. Then head over the 'piste' to the Mooserwirt for a couple of hours of apres cheese - you'll need that few pints of Kaiser to get in the mood. Some people prefer the Krazy Kanguruh which is a little bit further up the slope from either the Griabli or Mooserwirt - tends to be more western pop music rather than the Germanic apres scheisse that is played at the Mooserwirt - my view is that I can listen to what is played at the KK every day of the week, whereas the Moos plays stuff that I'll only listen to one week of the year (Ok so I now have a playlist made up of this stuff which I listen to on a regular basis Embarassed ). Then ski down the 200/300m in the dark to the village - this is a complete hoot. (PS Good tip is to leave your skis at the back/KK side of the Griabli as hardly anyone sticks their skis there so you'll not loose them)
Then off to the Picadilly (under the Post Hotel in the centre) to listen to Gunar - place is absolutely crammed from around 5.30 to 7.30 - great atmosphere and he plays all your classic Stones etc as well as modern classics - everyone sings along and has a great time.
Then probably some food to soak up the alcohol. Pomodoro and Funky Chicken serve pretty decent food at very reasonable prices. Again usually pretty busy. Funky Chicken rocks from about 10-12 and you really should try one night. One of our best nights ever was in Funky Chicken. Then if you have enough energy you can head back to Picadilly/Postkellar. The Platzl is generally quieter but sometimes have live music but more chilled than others mentioned before. I've never managed Kandahar as that only starts getting busy at 3am and is open till 6am.
Cafe Anton at the Galzigbahn is more modern and laid back than the others I've mentioned.
Beers will typically set you back €3.5 to €4.5. Spirits with mixers are more expensive so stick to the beer.
Make sure you head off to Lech for some nice skiing especially blue/red 35 Mohnenmader (??) - have lunch in Oberlech. Also try to stop off at the ice bar above Oberlech at the Schleglkopf (??) chair. Have a great time
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cafe Anton, that's the one I couldn't remember the name of - in Hotel Anton, if memory finally serves me well. Cheers boabski snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boabski wrote:
Then ski down the 200/300m in the dark to the village - this is a complete hoot. (PS Good tip is to leave your skis at the back/KK side of the Griabli as hardly anyone sticks their skis there so you'll not loose them)

Yes, skiing down in the dark after several drinks is a memorable experience! On a practical note, it's one occasion when a Petzl head torch would come in handy. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wheeles, I’m heading to St Anton myself week after next. I was there once before and I cant wait to get back.

I have to agree with all the above. Start Après on the slopes in the KK and Moose, plus a few other bars on the piste which I cant remember the name. Ski home, carefully if you can – if not you can get a taxi to pick you up across the piste from the KK. I know taxi is cheating , but when our friend busted his knee on one of the first days it was his only savoir – meeting us for the Apres on the slopes.
After that there are any number of bars/restaurants in the town to choose from. Plenty of good advice above.
You don’t have to worry about not finding a good spot for Après, it would be hard not to find one.

Alastair Pink, Great tip about the head torch, I’m going to invest in one of those. Or maybe two, as last time I was there I lost mine on the first night ski home!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you all, for your recommendations. They'll certainly prove handy and give me a headstart. I'll certainly give the head torch some serious thought!

Welshflyer, I'm staying at the Chalethotel Rosanna with a few friends, so it looks like Scotty's will be my local. Rosanna is run by Mark Warner, but I booked via a different company, so not sure how much contact I'll have with the their reps. I've no doubt the MW reps will have some recommendations, but I tend to be a little wary of reps' advice where bars are concerned, especially if free drinks are in it for them, or their mate works there.

No real surprise on the beer prices. Good job I'm not an alcoholic.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can't go wrong in St Anton when it comes to bars.

If you're in the Rosanna, you'll be on a Mark Warner holiday. Good fun, but don't plan on going to sleep before one in the morning.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
zohan,

Headtorches aren't that effective and if you are in a group and you look at each other you blind each other because you destroy each others night vision.

As long as the lights in the Galzigbahn Gondola Station are still on (and the weather is clear) just let your eyes get used to the dark for a minute or two and there's enough light to see enough to ski down.

If you've had too many flugels and schnapps the dark is irrelevant.
snow report
wheeles,

I'm in the other Mark Warner Hotel in St Anton next week.

You'll have loads of contact with the MW reps, hosts etc. I didn't book direct with them either this time.

Send me a PM if you want more advise.

There's another Snowhead in the Rosanna next week and one in a B&B.
latest report
And I'm one of wheeles' friends - so that's another Snowhead in St Anton next week. And I hardly ever go to sleep before one in the morning, even on work days.
snow report
davehk,

Hey we're probably neighbours, I'm in Citizen Smith land.

How are you getting to LGW on Sunday morning? You obviously won't have a problem with the early flight because you won't need to go to bed. I'm driving down and leaving my car near Gatwick and a £6/8 taxi ride to the airport.

Do you want a lift for the cost of 1/2 the taxi fare?
snow report
Welshflyer, thanks for the help. I expect our paths will cross given that we are likely to be on the same flight and coach.
snow report
welshflyer,

I'm all sorted for a lift down thanks. Perhaps we can talk about the return trip whilst we're out there?
snow report
I had a report of beer in the Moose being over 5 Euro last weekend, ouch!

Don't try to return from the Moose on someoine else's bord while they are attached to it, cuddling other men in a fit of bonding may be all very well but the boarding was well outwith his abilities with me attached and a lot of beer and schnapps on board, we made it at least 3 yards Smile (I walked up to moose, also a very bad idea, triggered by an inabilty to ski due to knackered knee).
snow report
Ghost Dog, You could always try using one of the benches to go back down (instead of taking the taxi of shame). We invented this new sport back in 2003 - benchboarding. It basically involves turning one of the benches upside down and getting 2/3 people on it and sliding down a la toboggan. Absolutely great fun especially if you can take out a couple of boarders on the way down Toofy Grin Have also tried the piggyback on one of your mates skis, which is great fun too - maybe a bit easier than trying on a board, but still as gay nonetheless Embarassed
snow conditions
wheeles, if you want somewhere quieter, the Platzl next door to the Pomodoro pizza place (same owners I think) is very civilised. If you want an excellent restaurant, try Ben Venuto which is (oddly) above the pool.
snow report
I'm going to have to start making a list of all these tips.

I just read a report elsewhere by someone who was there a week ago, and he reckoned you would pay £5 a pint in most places and Scotty's was the cheapest at around £3.50.
ski holidays
wheeles wrote:
I'm off to St. Anton for a week on Sunday. As it's my first time there (my fourth time skiing in Austria), I was hoping I could get a few suggestions for decent apres venues. I'm just as keen to find out about quieter, more relaxed places as well as the raucous ones. Any suggestions are welcome.

I was in Les Deux Alpes last year and it was far from cheap. I know that with the exchange rate not being favourable (thanks, Gordon!) prices are likely to be steep. So, how much should I expect to pay for a beer?

we fly out to st anton from edinburgh on saturday been there before and can guarantee you will enjoy the apres ski almost as much as the sublime skiing. Start at Mooserwirt ski back to the resort then follow the crowds. Expect a lot rowdier apres ski than Les Deux Alpes offers!
snow conditions
stevenwebster, wheeles, looks like you'll be getting some fresh snow next week. Enjoy
ski holidays
boabski wrote:
stevenwebster, wheeles, looks like you'll be getting some fresh snow next week. Enjoy

From the reports I've seen it should start late on Sunday and continue through Monday and Tuesday. Let's hope they're right.
snow report
Kramer,
Quote:

If you're in the Rosanna, you'll be on a Mark Warner holiday. Good fun, but don't plan on going to sleep before one in the morning.

I stayed at Les Grangettes above the Cactus in Meribel centre last week and what with all the racket in the town at night as well as some random lads putting the window through of the hotel (because they were having a scrap in the street outside) I didn't hear a thing with my brilliant ear plugs-they will be accompanying me to St Anton as well since I understand the Rosanna is in the centre of town Very Happy Very Happy They are fantastic.

wheeles, davehk, hiya, I am staying in the Rosanna as well from Sunday onwards so I'll be on your flight and transfer as well. wheeles, I have sent you a PM.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
wheeles, davehk, hiya, I am staying in the Rosanna as well from Sunday onwards so I'll be on your flight and transfer as well. wheeles, I have sent you a PM.

VolklAttivaS5, I've got your PM and sent a reply. Yes, we're on the same holiday.
snow conditions
For those staying at the nasserein end, the Fang is quite lively for apres
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy