Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grenoble Airport - for those who have not been.......

Poster: A snowHead
We went through on 4 / 11 Jan. As ever not exactly user friendly - for those who are about to experience :

Arriving

- chaotic basically esp if on a big ( 360 seater ?) Airbus as we were

- so luggage came out on 2 different carousels at the same time, so the heaving swaying mass of humanity surged from belt to belt trying to grab all their stuff

- no luggage trolleys - if you really need one , go out of arrivals and turn right and right again and you will find them in the departure terminal .But then you have to fight against the surge of people coming out.

Departing

- do not put boots or helmets in hand luggage - TOs seem unaware that there are signs at the check in desks saying if you do they " will be removed at security and destroyed " . Hence much rushed repacking at the check in desks

- if delayed ( as we were for 4.5 hrs ) outside the terminal on your rhs is a caravan serving OK food , a few chairs , post box . Also if you go out of the airport and turn right there is a McDonalds . About 10 - 15 minutes walk , but it was a saner option with kids than keeping them in the terminal.

- the airport authorities will tell you to go through security when they reckon you and all on your flight are taking up space that the next load will need in the terminal. We did not as our 'plane had still not even arrived - facilities " airside " are markedly less and of course there is no going outside. Also for those who need a beer - there is no alcohol ( and big signs in Russian telling you not to drink any alcohol there).

Good luck !

John
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello
We came back through on 3/1/09. You are right about the ski boots for hand luggage not being allowed and I did anticipate, as you say, the nightmare of trying to pack them into my suitcase (which was already fit to burst) in the airport. However, though we were taking them as hand luggage we were allowed to check them in as hold luggage at no extra cost (so we checked in seven pieces of luggage between eight of us). As you said, I cant believe that the reps dont say anything when you arrive, it would only take two seconds and we would all know where we stand and it would save us all having a mini heart attack when we get to Grenoble for departure. To be honest with you think the majority of reps are just joke. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh...and regarding the alcohol...I hate flying and can only do it with a couple of glasses of wine so i was mortified when we went through and my brother in law pointed out the sign! However, the duty free shop did do a small bottle of local wine (screw cap) for 2 1/2 euros so I just drank that a bit sneakily. It was either that or not get on the plane!!!! Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
HH, reps are paid about £350 a month. What do you expect?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Drive it is a lot easier!! I do it up to 4 times a year with no real problems.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've used Grenoble airport for about 4 trips to Les Deux Alpes and Alpe D'Huez and never had a problem. They all have been been DIY trips using BA and Ryanair. Some Saturday flights in there too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What is consistent is that they use a random number generator to decide which gate to announce for your flight. If you are in a group it is best to split up so that at least one of you becomes aware of which gate it actually is.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard wrote:
HH, reps are paid about £350 a month. What do you expect?

That they should do their not very demanding jobs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grenoble airport is great if you fly midweek on a scheduled flight. It should be avoided like the plague on Saturdays now that the TOs use it. Midweek, it's quiet - no-one there, security is easy and quick, luggage pick up is brill. Poor little airport - getting all the flack for the TO stuff!!! Little Angel
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm particularly looking forward to being there on the Saturdays that bookend half-term, then.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sounds like turin and verona...or probably any airport on TO chage over day... at least its not Gatwick.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flying to Lyon airport adds 30mins maximum to your drive to the Oisans and probably makes very little difference to the amount of time it takes to get to the tarentaise
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm really looking forward to Grenoble on Saturday!!! Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We fly into Grenoble Saturday afternoon. Reading this has really cheered me up Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did Grenoble, Lyon, and Geneva on a Sunday last year and Grenoble and Geneva were great. Lyon was rubbish.

I did Salzburg on a Saturday and it was fine.
ski holidays
Urm' we flew in to Grenoble on Easy Jet last year on a Saturday, we arrived at around 1000, it was two Saturdays before half term and flew out on the 2100ish flight the Saturday of half term week, had no problems. Going a week earlier this year, hope it hasn't degenerated too much Puzzled
latest report
Quote:

Poor little airport - getting all the flack for the TO stuff!!!

easiski, Yes.

Long time since have been through but, like Chambery, once you know what is to come, you take a picnic, a massive intake of breath and think 'At least I am not having to change terminal at Heathrow'. That sorts it for me.
snow conditions
Beverley, At least you will be hitting the snow on the other side!!

alltnaha, Have you emailed the TO to ask why no announcment is made on the transfer from the airport about luggage restrictions on the way back?

All airports are bad on Transfer day but some do a worse job than others. Look at Innsbruck or Salzburg both excellent and efficent. The only problem I have with Salzburg is if your flight is the only one not going to Russia for 4 hours either side the food & drink services through departures are very poor
snow report
With respect to the co ment that TO reps only get £360 a month. Thats probably what a lollypop lady gets but I wouldn't expect them to have the same attitude towards the care of their charges as reps do.

I suppose I've probably opened a pandoras box of pro and con reps wages and duties. I'm sure it's not the first time !
snow report
Expect this thread to involve Bulgarian cocktail waitresses in about 10... 9... 8... 7...
ski holidays
Ordhan, I've always found the restaurant very agreeable at Salzburg. Service efficient and it has screens dotted around to keep an eye on developments re delays etc.
snow report
I was in a bar in Courchevel once and this Bulgarian cocktail waitress was..... NehNeh
ski holidays
dsoutar wrote:
TO reps only get £360 a month.

Are you sure it isn't £630?
snow report
I'm sure someone will be along in a moment to confirm or disagree wink
latest report
Gordyjh, Before or after security? Before security is great but once you go through there is only the little cafe with about (HAS TO BE TAKIN IN CONTEXT) 600 Russians queing at it. Did I miss somthing after the security gates?

We where in an area with I think about 14-16 Gates and 15 of the flights where going to Russia and one to Ireland. Shocked Was not pleasant But I do normally love both the airports
latest report
Nowt to do with the reps. The TO should inform you of the baggage resrictions in advance.
snow conditions
Ordhan,

No I have not contacted the TO but will.

Apologies to those I have depressed. I think arriving part of the problem was that 360 of us ( and several other flights ) all arrived at the same time. But it was a real scrum.

And if delayed on departure it is worth going outside the airport ( I got pulled up by airport security when looking at the planes but that's another story...........)

John
snow report
so we can deduce from all this is that Germanic nations have the best airports, but Russians are unpleasent no matter where you are.

who'd have guess that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I reckon that was 1 plane for the blokes and 14 planes for all the women they probably flew in. I've seen the men in action (not literally, you understand) in Courch and that's probably not too far from the truth.
snow report
alltnaha, but when you do grab your bag off the carousel you have a full 50 meters to carry it to get to the taxi/bus/car that is waiting right out side the door of the airport for you ! so not having a trolley or having to move a couple of meters to grab your bag off the carousel is not a hardship really when you can almost sniff the alpine air. It is just a small regional airport, and next time you will know the score and planthe departure accordingly with sandwiches and lashings of ginger beer Very Happy
ski holidays
i am flying to grenoble on saturday will i be able to take my boots as hand luggage on the way out there as i don't trust the airline not to lose my new boots and pack them in my case for the journey home or should i just do it both ways, i am flying with thomas cook and boots are part of your 20kg limit now which is a joke Evil or Very Mad
snow report
chewy192, I was refused boots in hand luggage at Bristol (to Grenoble) with EJ, so if you feel lucky ...... Laughing
ski holidays
I just don't want to part with my shiny new boots as i know after going to all the effort of getting em fitted etc.. some numpty is gonna lose em and i won't get to try em, at least if i carry them on going out there i get to use them and if they get lost on the way back my insurance should sort that one out for me if i am lucky Smile i asked my TO and they suggested taking them on as hand luggage but after reading above it's clear most of em know sweet fa Smile
snow conditions
chewy192, try to take them as hand luggage and if you are refused just move some of the stuff from your hold bag in to your hand luggage and put the boots in to the hold bag, might annoy every one but hey, the should make things clearer for us to understand Very Happy
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, The reps are on the ground and seeing it every week that + a sprinkling of common sense and courtesy = Them telling you.
snow report
i think thats what i will do thx if people don't like it then tough Smile at 4:30 in the morning it probably best they don't upset me anyway Laughing
ski holidays
dsoutar, I saw it at Geneva, they come out with the wives and kids and then about 10mins after they've gone a truck load of blonde nasties trot out, I doubt they even see the snow!
snow conditions
I know someone who did a season there and other girls in the company (very up-market and has the initials D and S in the title but not necessarily in that order) were asked to help buy the 'girlfiends' skiing stuff as they'd basically come out with not much more than negligee.
ski holidays
Quote:

I just don't want to part with my shiny new boots as i know after going to all the effort of getting em fitted etc.. some numpty is gonna lose em and i won't get to try em, at least if i carry them on going out there i get to use them and if they get lost on the way back my insurance should sort that one out for me if i am lucky i asked my TO and they suggested taking them on as hand luggage but after reading above it's clear most of em know sweet fa

We flew from Manchester and were allowed to take our boots on as hand luggage from there.

alltnaha - think its a great thread because although you and I know what to expect next time you have also shred your info so people can go prepared next time.

ps. Sorry but don't care if reps get £360 a month or a year or a day, they've taken on the responsibility of that role so they should fulfill the requirements. On our Summer holiday last year we had no rep on the bus when we arrived, we had no notice of a welcome meeting and at the end of the trip I had to find our flight details in a folder at the hotel reception because we didn't get those either! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
If you want to know about odd Airports then I will tell you all about my experience at Verona last year, Baggage Reclaim on arrival seem to take an age and then you could hear about 20 people (including me!) gasping as the belt stopped and the shutter doors coming down... without our luggage coming out! Thankfully it came back on within a minute but it was a bit of a nasty shock! Shocked

For the return flight I had no real complaints as such but that Airport made Durham Tees Valley look big, it felt like a small bus station!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy