Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Student Dies in Val d'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
A British student froze to death while on a skiing holiday after she got lost, slipped on ice and plunged into a river after a night out.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5518005.ece
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's been a bad week in the Alps.

Coupla Brit climbers killed by an icefall in Chamonix a few days ago, too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitegold, hardly comparable with some ratarsed kid falliing in a river, is it?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard, a tragic death is a tragic death. Think about the families left behind. If the young girl was a relative of yours would you devalue the way she lost her life?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did a student not freeze to death last year as well?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, good lord, that's a little insensitive, even by your standards (which I don't normally decry). Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flowa, I'm not big on self delusion. Getting drunk, failing to find your way home and freezing to death in temperatures of -15 is certainly tragic, but it's also silly and irresponsible. The mere fact that a person is dead does not change that.

OTP might wish to have a look at the way they sell their trips and the activities they organise in resort though, since they actively encourage their guests to get out of their skulls every night.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard wrote:
Whitegold, hardly comparable with some ratarsed kid falliing in a river, is it?

I agree, it isn't comparable. The death of the student is far more concerning to many here because we can empathise totally with both the situation she found herself in, and the grief of her parents and her friends. We know the resort and going out for a drink when on holiday is something that we've all done, but we haven't lost our own lives or a loved one by doing it.

I am unable to empathise with the climbers, so that story is not one that my mind will dwell on - nevertheless, it is a sad event for the families and those left behind.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnboy, yeah. Student from Cambridge passed out in a snowdrift. Similar situation.

Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's very tragic, very sad.

Rather than deliberately engaging in a perilous activity, it's more a case of making an ill judged decision on a short cut, e.g. tripping over the live rail in order to get to the other platform in time for the last train home.

Perhaps the river looked shallow, perhaps it was knee deep, but extremely slippery, and the shock of a fall into subzero water compounded with alcohol reduced the ability to get out of the river? Who knows, perhaps she could have walked down the bank to see if it was shallow and upon turning around to abandon the idea given its depth then slipped in as the snow gave way? Having fallen in on a deep side, it may have seemed a reasonable strategy to aim for the other potentially shallower side.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On the radio the French police said she hadn't been drinking heavily. They think she got lost and tried to take a shortcut.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
crosbie,

wise words
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc wrote:
On the radio the French police said she hadn't been drinking heavily. They think she got lost and tried to take a shortcut.

Lizzard, care to revise your opinion?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/7831544.stm

more info on the unfortunate accident and tragic death
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've just found out, I know her mum; she works in the office next door and she lives just round the corner.

Very sad.

Sad
snow report
Mosha Marc, that is very sad. It's surprising how affecting learning you have a link to the victim being reported about can be. Crying or Very sad
snow report
Whilst the death of the student is sad, I don't think it's surprising.

Whilst in Tignes in December with overnight temps down to -12, there were 1000 students there, many going out in the evening in shorts, t shirts etc. In fact, there appeared to be a toga party going on one night with students wandering round resort in next to nothing.

Now, I'm all for enjoying myself, but, these guys need to learn to take responsibility for their actions. Actions which, in the mountains, can have tragic consequences.
ski holidays
I saw this in The Times the other week, and it really shocked me because she was from the college next to mine at Durham. I didn't know her, but it certainly feels close to home. The article I read said she left the party early to go back to the apartment, phoned her friend to say she was lost, and when they tried to call her back they couldn't get an answer. Getting lost in the dark in a strange place is such a scary situation, I can totally see how she would have panicked. When I first read the story I just kept thinking how horrific it would be for mine or my friends' parents on hearing such tragic news about their daughter.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy