Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne - Ski tuition / lessons advice

Poster: A snowHead
I am travelling to France in Dec 2009 and I am quite sure that I will need some lessons. At present I am a total Newbie. I do intend to take some lessons at a nearby Snow Dome so that I have some basic skills before annoying the hell out of everyone on the slopes.

I see that many of the brochures offer 5 day ‘learn to ski’ courses. This seems a little excessive if I am taking lessons in advance. This got me thinking-

Should I just arrange a single lesson to learn about the basics of being on real snow and how to use chair lifts?
Can I arrange lessons when I arrive?
It will be the New Years Eve week when I go so is it possible to pre-book this or should I arrange it on my first day in La Plagne?

Can anyone please offer me some advice on this or recommend who to use for tuition?

Thanks in advance.
Mike.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mike-H, lessons prior to going at a snowdome is certainly a good idea for getting used to the feel of being on snow and the basics.

As New Year is one of the busier weeks, I'd recommend booking in advance.

Oxygene is a ski school I've heard good things about. Evolution2 is another company that I've used in 2 other resorts (following a recommendation from a 'senior' snowHead Laughing ) and from that experience, they're worth consideration IMO.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent. I will contact them to see if they can help with some 'top up' lessons so that I do not fall out of the chair lifts.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike H
Me again, "jumped in" as you suggested. Coincidence but Oxygene is the company we used that time whereby the kids had to go to a different village in La Plagne in the dodgy mini bus. Can't say I'd use them again but that was 4 to 5 years ago. Since then we have always used ESF, the problem is they might have the skill but sometimes the instructors dont speak enough "technical" English to get accross what they want from your skiing, though this doesn't happen much and I'd still always book with them till someone persuades me otherwise. Would love to hear other peoples views on this. We did go New Year this year (Alpe d'Huez) and it's probably the busiest time of the year, which means they have every instructor out on the job so they do match up english pupils with the really good English speaking instructors.

We took loads of lessons on the dry ski slope before going for our first time (my husbands real first time but I'd been once when 12) at Stoke ski centre (very glam, not). Depending on how much you do beforehand will determine how many lessons to go for. As we went with another couple who had skiid quite a bit we didnt want lessons that time and we had a great time cruising the great blues they have there. However, you could consider maybe 2 or 3 days lessons if you dont fancy going the whole week, you do learn a great deal and it's fun anyway, I dont think you'll feel restricted. The other thing to consider is a private tutor for the four/five of you (the eleven year old will probably run rings round you) especially suited to your group as your all beginners I think. Have to go now, as 2 year old wants to olay on the CBeebies site!!! Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We all intend to take some lessons before we go. That is 4 adults and 1 eleven year old that will probably think it is too easy Smile

How much would a private tutor cost for the 5 of us for a couple of 2 hour sessions on the first 2 days? Don't forget I will be there during one of the busiest weeks of the year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Evo2 seem to charge Euro54 for a 1 hour lesson for 4 people (they may well take 5 on enquiry I suspect). Lessons can be booked for 1, 1.5, 2 or 2.5 hours

Oxygene charge Euro52 for 2 people/hour with an additional Euro7 per person per hour.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think I may have come across as not being overly helpful on one of your previous postings and whilst we may not agree on everything I hope you do enjoy your holiday and skiing. If you are staying in La Plagne 1800 these are good guys: www.reflex-skischool.com . You can also rent your skis and boots etc from them and I think leave them at their shop overnight if that suits. They might not be the cheapest but they are good.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we used oxygene very sucessfully in la plagne a couple of years ago - I would DEFINATELY go learn to ski full week pack for your first trip on snow - one lesson isn't going to be nearly enough to give you the mountain skills you need, and a good first week sets you up for life on skis - no bad habits to unlearn later! Plus you can meet new people, and if nothing else, the instructor acts as a guide showing you the best and most appropriate runs. They tend to be pretty good value too. Lessons at a local dome (past the first couple) are worth much less imo - save the money and get lessons when you arrive if cost is an issue.

welcome to snowheads! aj xx
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hello there Mike,
Our family and wide circle of relatives and friends have been using ESF La Plagne for more than the last five years and highly recommend them for the following.
Some inexperienced among us have benefited enormously from taking lessons all day most of the week and getting in the mileage, which under tuition produces rapid results while getting to see a great deal of the resort.
Some experienced among us have brushed up on a few half days to ensure the skills are greater than the bad habits by raising the mileage levels in the correct style - the instructor seeing progress ensures a thoroughly pleasurable time as they develop your skiing.
I certainly would say that the language/culture difference can be frustrating at times. But, to ensure you get the most from any lessons do find ways to politely and succinctly extract exactly what is expected from the instructions given where unclear due to language or accent - a one-to-one conversation where children are involved is likely to go down v.well.
We have gained from some thoroughly brilliant tuition there and thrilling piste touring at the same time and recommend ESF La Plagne.
Cheers,
A.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One thing to remember - if you're having private lessons, they are usually not until 11am at the earliest as the instructors are teaching group lessons first.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gonwitdeewind, welcome to snowHeads - and very helpful first post snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gonwitdeewind, Welcome from a fellow newbie to the site, and thank you for your experiences and advice. I will look into ESF.

There is part of me that wants to learn the basics in blighty, get a couple of top ups and then go nuts!
But another part of me has heard the advice and thinks that it would be better to avoid learning bad habits and take a full week of lessons. This may benefit

I don't want to feel like all I am doing is listening to an instructor with a big group of people. I would like to spend some time with my wife and friends having fun on the slopes.

What to do, oh what to do!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I had a week of beginner's lessons with ESF at La Plagne they were mornings only - that would still leave you time to have fun on the slopes in the afternoons.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulcl,
Quote:

When I had a week of beginner's lessons with ESF at La Plagne they were mornings only - that would still leave you time to have fun on the slopes in the afternoons.

I will be their with my daughter who will be 15 months old. I intend to spend time with her in the afternoons. I may squeeze the odd trip up the slopes whilst 'Mum' looks after her but I do not want to dump her in a creche for a full week.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm off to La Plagne in Feb after having been last year (and using this years trip as a warm up for a trip to Whistler in Apr). We'll be doing morning ski-school at intermediate level (gaining confidence on red runs)

Having trouble deciding which ski school to go with - would certainly prefer a native english speaking teacher. Have only been with ESF once - a private lesson for a group of three of us, and for sure the guy was a great skiier but his english was pretty limited (hey, he's french i don't blame him!). On the other hand our group lessons have been very succesful when we did them with people with good english.

On the subject of lessons - deffo have them, possibly even full day for your first trip. Oh, and "full day" lessons aren't really full day anyway, and should afford you some time for messon around before/after.
ski holidays
Last year over xmas hols I had private lessons with Oxygene and had a Scots lad who lives out there now with his French wife, he was fantastic and pushed me really hard for the full 2 hours managing to get me laying down tracks for the first time ever. I think his name was Andy but not too confident my memory is correct, but there can't be too many Scots instructing....
snow conditions
mike-h i did mean mornings only btw - lessons all day would get a bit tiresome i agree Smile. 2 hour lesson from 9/10am, long lunch, go nuts for two hours. home, eat, sleep, repeat! ajxx
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy