Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Last minute is Last minute?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi y'all

I'm looking to book a holiday for the 24th of january and i'm trying to get the best deal i can for 4 of us. Only problem is i'm losing my nerve, have i left it too late or will better deal come after this weekend?
At the moment there seems to be some really good deals for this weekend (17th) but not so many for next weekend (24th). Will the deals come next week or is there some kind of Aps-wide festival on that week and there is no accom left Laughing

How late is last minute?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Illicit, As late as your nerve holds for Smile

The number of deals left for leaving the weekend of the 24th has been falling recently, so you may well find there won't be many better deals next week.

What is left could be very cheap, but you will probably only have very poor choices available.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
About 15years ago, we had a chalet booked months in advance. On the Wednesday before a Sunday departure one of our party broke her leg so she cancelled. On the Saturday afternoon, an Australian couple on a tour of Europe walked into a travel agent and asked "what's the cheapest ski holiday you've got leaving tomorrow?". They got the room in our chalet and we've been good mates ever since.

That's the latest 'last minute' I know about. I've heard anecdotally of people turning up at airports on Sunday mornings negotiating themselves a really last minute deal but nobody I know has ever done it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
last year i got a week in an apt in Livigno for £265 with airtours 6 weeks prior to departure i was well pleased with that
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replys.

Alex Yeah thats what i'm worried about, i've left it too late and the only deals left are going to be at the resorts no one want to go to. Doesn't bother me too much where we go (i've got a week booked in St Anton and a week in Mammoth, California) but the couple we're going with have are absolute beginners so i want them to have an awesome experience so they end spending all their time obsessing about the snow.....like me. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
oh and happy birthday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Illicit, the resorts will tend to get fuller as January goes on. for a couple of experienced skiers, I'd still say wait till much closer. But given you have absolute beginners with you, I'd suggest you find a good place without more delay. The definition of "good" in this context being somewhere where they don't have to walk too far in ski boots, where there is encouraging, friendly, terrain and - most important - where they can get top quality lessons. Morzine/Les Gets, for example (British Alpine Ski School). It doesn't look as though you'll have problems with snow!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Illicit - we're off to Kaprun in Austria on Saturday (17th) which we booked up 2 weeks 4 days in advance. I checked a couple of days ago and the flight we chose has sold out but the hotel is still available - but the saving is only about £30 per person more than we got the deal for so we're happy. Good luck in recruiting some more snow lovers!

Linz
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Illicit, the resorts will tend to get fuller as January goes on. for a couple of experienced skiers, I'd still say wait till much closer. But given you have absolute beginners with you, I'd suggest you find a good place without more delay. The definition of "good" in this context being somewhere where they don't have to walk too far in ski boots, where there is encouraging, friendly, terrain and - most important - where they can get top quality lessons. Morzine/Les Gets, for example (British Alpine Ski School). It doesn't look as though you'll have problems with snow!

Totally agree with that - good advice.

Welcome to snowHeads LinzinAustria
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Once went to a MW chalet in St A in mid Jan which was empty on the wed but had a near full 14 by the time of arrival on the saturday and there were only a couple of rooms which would have taken a third bed..so full for us, but not the company.

So, I would say 1-3 days is last minute.................... but we were very lucky and it all worked out ok....but as pam w I wouldn't spoil it just for a few more £'s as it seems to matter to you that your friends have a great time...as it should.
I'd take the best offer that you can live with now or the next few days.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have tried the same strategy. Waiting for last minute from scotland to france on the 24th Jan. Prices have not reduced the last two weeks. I lost my nerve ( but less Departure Airports in Scotland-So less Choice, Seat Numbers etc, greater risk of not getting a Holiday on that date). The choice of accom was smaller than I hoped, so next time I wont leave it too late. I booked with Inghams to Belle Plagne and forced or ended up with two bedroom for two adults (cost more but more space).

Hope you get the deal your after.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i am going saturday (17th) and booked last friday (9th). I had been checking prices everyday since 1 December. I do not think that there is a right time to book. If you see a price which you think it is good for a resort you want to go to then book it. Otherwise you may miss out all together.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah i've talked to our party and we've decided to keep looking until early next week. We've all quit our jobs and are travelling for the next 3-4 months so every pound counts.

o11y the week starting the 17th seems to have lots of good deals and i'm hoping that after this weekend those offers will be over and more for the 24th comes up.

Fingers crossed!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we booked yesterday for the 24th, mainly because the flights out of bristol were filling up and disappearing, so just went for it...if you're flexiable on airport then holdon...the 17th seems to have more deals as theres more places, whereas the 24th seems pretty full already
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are going to Courchevel 1850 on Saturday 17th and only decided to go last Sunday evening. I spent Monday morning (12th) looking at chalets etc., and got a good price on one. However, the choice was not that great when you narrowed it down from ones that didn't have an en-suite , were above a disco/bar, a bit far away from lifts or just generally looked a bit bleak. Our chalet was reduced by £356 per person.

As mentioned above, with beginners you need a resort that will give them confidence for their first time. My first ever holiday was in Soldeu, Andorra which has a good reputation for beginners and is duty free.
ski holidays
I've frequently booked in the week before travel with no trouble. This Christmas we had a friend who wanted to come out with us, and on the Tues before travel the TO still wanted to charge her a £200 single supplement. 2 days before travel they waived the single supplement and knocked another £80 off. I normally ring up a bit before a week before to get an idea of how many places are left, both in the accommodation and on flights (if I'm using their flights)

Mostly it depends on the relative supply/demand. For January there should still be a decent supply of available accommodation, so you should be fine leaving it till the last week
ski holidays
Illicit, Last minute is pretty much collecting tickets at the airport when the T/O hasn't time to post them out. We've done this a few times.
We've booked through Wark Marner for the 25th jan at a fair bit less than the brochure price. We got the resort, hotel, local flights and ski carriage included.
Last year i left it a couple of days too late and ended up in Tignes le Lavachet instead of Le Lac. Not the end of the world.

Leave it too late and you may not get local flights. Most T/Os can be contacted directly either by web or phone. Don't rely on brokers/agents web pages being up to date.....many of them aren't, listing accom and flights that are no longer available. If you can't get info from the T/O get a travel agent to enquire for you.
Good luck. Very Happy
latest report
We've booked last minute 3 times over the last couple of years - last minute being the Wed or Thurs to fly out the following Sat/Sun (so 2-3 days before you go)! It really does require nerves of steel and helps if you are doing it as an extra trip only as there always is a chance you won't go!

Having said that we've had 3 good holidays - we are a family of 4 which has reduced our choice somewhat but if you are prepared to be flexible about where you go to, fly from etc then there seems to have been a lot around. You really need to ring up mid- week before you go find out what's available and be prepared to book it there and then. Have found having a copy of Where to Ski and Snowboard or similar guide handy so that when they mention somewhere you've never heard of you can look it up there and then and find out whether it is vaguely suitable for your ability/group etc (I would be a bit reluctant to rely purely on the person you're booking it with for advice here and you can find that if you decide to talk it over with mates etc it's gone when you ring back.

Be ready for them trying to add on all sorts of late booking/ticket on departure fees and negociate your socks off.

So - not for the faint hearted, you might find as we hit Fri/Sat this week then prices for the 24th start to come down so keep your eyes on what's available and I would always say if you see something that really fits your needs at a price that seems ok then consider whether it is really worth hanging on, the last minute prices aren't always a huge knock down and you usually do have to compromise somewhere.
snow conditions
Last year we were looking for chalet space for four the week after half term..... not the quietest of weeks to be fair. We had all but given up on the TOs and were looking at booking independent travel / chalet etc. But we held our nerve and got a half price deal to Vail at £650 on the Wednesday before the Saturday departure to Denver and really lucked out with the Chalet, our chalet host and getting what seemed to be the last four seats on the flight. I hope you find yourself a corker of a deal and enjoy all the fresh snow that the Weather thread guys say is going to fall next week! My advice is to fiind a friendly agent who will do all the searching for you - be honest with them about what you are looking for and what you definitiely don't want and then when he/she's found what you've said you are looking for, have the nerve to go ahead and book it there and then - wait and it'll get snapped up by someone else.
snow conditions
Illicit, I have booked last minute many times- until recently I thought last minute was within a month or so of departure.

I wanted to ski at New Year with my son- specifically with Esprit or Mark Warner- in early December I looked there were some deals- but still too much- then right through all of December the price just went up and up- until there was no avaliability.

So I rang at about 9.15 the Saturday before I wanted to go- asking for cancellations- nothing- then decided to ring every hour on the hour till I got one or they closed- at 10am I got a fantastic deal- a family of 4 had just cancelled.

I think that you will always get a cancellation the day before- but this is (or rather feels) very high risk - it also takes away some of the pleasure that you have in the anticipation of a holiday and that is actually very stressful- trying to explain to a 7 yr old (of any age!!) that you are packed to go- but just might not is tricky.

But with thousands of holidays each weekend the fact as I see it is that some will have to cancel often right at the last minute (we had to once for very sad reasons).

So polish up those balls and wait!!!
snow report
oh yes as mentioned above book by phone direct rather than through an agent- as their web sites are not up to date and you just won't get the ultralastminute deal of your dreams (ps junior and I saved about £1400) on the base price of our holiday- which is pretty good)

also we had lots of choice re departure but were prepared to be very flexible (ie anywhere between Gatwick and Manchester)
ski holidays
[quote="Chasseur"]
pam w wrote:

Welcome to snowHeads LinzinAustria

Chasseur Thanks![/b]
latest report
edsilva wrote:
oh yes as mentioned above book by phone direct rather than through an agent- as their web sites are not up to date and you just won't get the ultralastminute deal of your dreams (ps junior and I saved about £1400) on the base price of our holiday- which is pretty good)

also we had lots of choice re departure but were prepared to be very flexible (ie anywhere between Gatwick and Manchester)

we found going into the agents is the best, they can go straight onto the booking system and don't need the website..and you can see the screen aswell unlike a call centre, plus you get to choose your room at some places and they throw in free airport parking and they match their website price.

Last minute is probably with the week before departure nowadays..don't think we ever book anywhere (bar our Zermatt week and thats so we can get the apartment we want and then get easyjet flights when the sales on) in advance...usually a week or two before, that way you know what the snows like...and paying list price is for mugs.
snow report
We usually tend to book early - like nearly a year in advance - when we know specifically when and where we want to go. In April, however, we booked at 6pm on Fri for arrival on Sat. Slightly easier for us, though, since we only have to get in a car and drive
ski holidays
eng_ch wrote:
Slightly easier for us, though, since we only have to get in a car and drive

You lucky lucky people Razz
snow report
A few years back, I booked a HB Hotel in Soldeu 2 days before hand for £69!!!! the next year it was a SC for £99 a week before, then following year was £139 HB in El Tartar 4 days before. They were all from teletext ads and just calling up,
Since then I have had to book in advance cause its been a party of 20.
This year, I booked yesterday (thomas cook) going to Arinsal 22/02, HB Hotel, Lift pass all for £380 each for 11 people, we have 4 person rooms for 2 of us and no under occupancy charge so no couples have to share and all the singles have got a big room for them all as well.
I can't wait to go snowboarding Smile
snow report
The day before is last minute. You will usually get something cheap, a cancellation or a club hotel or chalet that the operators can not cancel with the owners. Prevous years I tracked prices with TUI & Inghams & found bargains about a week before, some very good that needed snapping up, less popular offers often disappeared a with a week to go, on phoning I was told the hold on flights had been released or the hotel reservations cancelled. It is a matter of how much bottle you have unless you are not tied to a particular date.
snow report
Well guys i've folded. A deal popped up on Crystal this morning for a catered chalet at La Plagne 1800 for 259 pounds (sorry my keyboard doesn't have a pounds symbol Laughing ) Thought it was good value for money so i booked it. At least i'll be able to sleep at night, although i'm way more excited.
Thanks for all the input!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anybody use ebay for accomodation ? There are lots of private appartments like this on there, probably easier to deal with UK owners at last minute than resort agents.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330301142552&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=014
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy