Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can fat people..

Poster: A snowHead
...really get fit enough to ski properly ? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yup. Anything else?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depend how fat Twisted Evil
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes. I've probably got 5 stone on you Erica Wink, ski better Toofy Grin , horseride better and am in training for a triathlon... still can't fit in to anything that TopShop sell... unless you count gloves. Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alexandra, But you have to work so much harder. Why then if you have the full fitness bug, do you not lose weight? If you have 5 stone on me, then doesn't that put your cardiovascular system under strain? I'm not attempting to be rude - I lost weight myself and I see the 'fitness' benefit.
I'm sure you ski better, but I'm a mean horse rider. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm not interested in a p*ssing contest or battling people's "baiting" threads. I'd like to lose a couple of stone, but it's not the be-all and end-all of my life, I'm fit & happy & don't need to criticise the body shapes of others to feel good about myself.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have dropped 3 stone in the last year (I want another 1 this year) and done the improving my fitness bit. I can see the benefits in whatever I do physically (everything!). The skiing is considerably easier and I swing onto a horse much easier and can ride for as long as I want without getting puffed. Its possible you both still ski better than me (but I too am a mean horse rider!! Toofy Grin) I still can't fit in just anything that topshop sells yet, but I now have Size 14 skirts hanging in my wardrobe and some of them don't have to reach my knees before I'm happy to wear them in public!! Very Happy

However, if you are larger and happy with it who are we to tell you that you are wrong, I was also larger and happy at the time (I think Puzzled ) - enjoy life Very Happy Very Happy snowHead

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 14-01-09 14:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now now ladies.

Who wants a sticky bun?

PS - The above is meant as a joke, pelase don't shout. And I am allowed to comment as I promised myself I would lose a few lb's (perhaps stones) before my trip tomorrow, and well...............
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I dropped from 13st5 to 11st6 last year between March and August. It was easy, and made other things easier, too. I can run further and faster, cycling, walking and skiing are all easier. Now that I've replaced the clothes that were far too big for me I'm now spending less. Food bills have reduced because I've figured out what I need, treating food as fuel and nothing more.

I'm sure fat people can be fit, but it's relative. Will at 16st chubby ever do a sub-three hour marathon? Will an 8st marathon runner ever get through an entire packet of chocolate Hobnobs in one sitting? Who knows.

Can fat people eat less? Can fat people take up less space?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are the Welsh as fat headed as they appear here? wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's just an observation, but if a larger person decided that they want to get fit enough to ski (implying that they don't feel they are fit enoguh to ski without doing so) the action of getting fit may result in the drop of some weight anyway which I don't suppose anyone would mind Very Happy .
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, probably, particularly slim Welsh people.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm neither slim nor fit and despite a fair bit of experience, I'm not a very good skier...

However, I enjoy it very much and I'm not a danger to myself or others. That's all that matters really isn't it...?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
erica2004 wrote:
...really get fit enough to ski properly ? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
Dunno. I know that they can get fit enough to enjoy their skiing more than any other being on the planet....and lets face facts; that is what is important.

What is skiing "properly" BTW?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i always thought alberto tomba looked like he was carrying a bit of timber...
latest report
You don't need to be fit to ski - as long as you have the correct technique.
snow conditions
RobW wrote:
You don't need to be fit to ski - as long as you have the correct technique.

Or have a crap technique and be fit Toofy Grin

OK... may be difficult to compare blokes to ladies...

I'm 5'10" and 17 stone (lardy but I've always been well built so don't thankfully go overly blobby when I put weight on!) at my fittest I was 14st4lb (5 years ago) and had 18% body fat, trained 4 days a week and played squash 3-4 times aweek then blew my right knee playing squash and went completely sedentry (sp?) apart from annual ski holidays which hurt like hell but the pain was worth it (probably stupid.... but wort it) My weight peaked at 18st4lb in december last year and with the prospect of 10 days in Cham in Feb decided I needed to do something about it, especially now my knee can take abuse again. I plan to be 16st by the time I go and then continue t drop down again to 14st ish after (I'm supposed to be 11.5 st by the way according to the health quacks, my wife said I looked too thin at 14st4lb!!!!)

The point I'm making is that I managed to ski 'properly' even when lardy and in agony with my knee, so yes.... fat people can be fit enough to ski 'properly' plus the extra weight means you go a damn sight faster down hill, one reason Tomba was so successful.... momentum Shocked
snow report
5'10 and 17st - unless you're a body builder doesn't that put you at the wrong end of obese!? Even 14st4 is a fair bit over - I'm 5'10 and current 12st2 and intend to drop eight pounds by the end of next month.
ski holidays
hyweljenkins, the fat BMI thingy never takes into account muscle bulk. To say someone is obese, based on their weight alone, is wrong IMHO
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I know that, but Vipa described himself as "lardy". "Lardy" isn't "muscle bulk". At the top of his game Dennis Wolf was 5'11 and 260lb, but he was Mr Universe at the time.

I firmly believe that when figuring out if you can shed some fat the trick is to *look*, not to *weigh*. People know that they're fat, or that they have fat, without need to get on some scales.
latest report
hyweljenkins wrote:
5'10 and 17st - unless you're a body builder doesn't that put you at the wrong end of obese!? Even 14st4 is a fair bit over - I'm 5'10 and current 12st2 and intend to drop eight pounds by the end of next month.

Yes but everyone knows that BMI is an approximation and doesn't take account of real people in the real world. Arni at his peak was clinically obese????? go figure??? Like I said when I was at my fittest (apparently 3 stone overweight) I had a measured %body fat of 18

Muscle mass makes a hell of a difference remember.

But... right now I am fat, but I'm also quite fit, give me 6 months and I'll be very fit but I'll still be 14 stone ish.

Also, another point to note is genetic make up.... I hit 14 stone at age 15.5 and have never dropped back below it, yet I was captain of the school athletics team (javelin & discus) & basketball team and competed regionally in athletics as well as playing footie, cricket and rugby for both school & college teams...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 14-01-09 15:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Vipa, you're agreeing with what I said. If you had 1% body fat you were unhealthy, and you would certainly not have made a very good athlete. I suspect the measurement was wrong.
ski holidays
I'm 5'8" and a few pounds overweight. I played rugby and at my peak was 14 + 1/2 stone and as fit as a butchers dog!

Yet according to the BMI scale I was obese Puzzled

That scale is nothing but a connivance between diet companies and the nannying wing of the NHS Mad

There is a GP in my local practice who used to make me look like a famine victim. He now looks like a famine victim and I swear that if I went to see him with my head under my arm he would say it was because I was overweight rolling eyes

Within reason being overweight has nothing to do with being able to Ski, maybe not as well or for as long, but the basic ability is down to technique and being able to learn snowHead
latest report
My sister-in-law is a large lady and has decided she's sick of all the family having ski waffles in her company when she's never been Sad ( A ski waffle is a debate on where shall we ski next?)
She's decided that she wants a go but would feel very self conscious togged up in a padded ski outfit and has vowed to lose weight and get fit. I am really hoping she does it, she's missing out big style.

Although I have never studied people's size when skiing, nobody really large has caught my eye, tend to look for nice mens bottoms anyway Laughing
latest report
hyweljenkins wrote:
Vipa, you're agreeing with what I said. If you had 1% body fat you were unhealthy, and you would certainly not have made a very good athlete. I suspect the measurement was wrong.

Absolutely incorrect.... You would be incredibly unhealthy with only 1% body fat... the acceptable 'healthy' range for my age at the time I was very fit was between 8 & 20% anything under that and you could have serious health problems... the human body needs a fat supply. If you had 0% body fat your system would pack in as soon as you ran out of fuel ALA beez, they carry no reserves and so if they can't get to nectar in time they litterally fall out of the sky.

The average man has 15 to 17% body fat, while the average woman is between 18 and 22%. Typical values for elite athletes are 6% to 12% for men and 12% to 20% for women.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 14-01-09 15:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Vipa, your original post claimed you had "%body fat of 1". Nice edit.
latest report
hyweljenkins wrote:
Vipa, your original post claimed you had "%body fat of 1". Nice edit.

It was edited because I hade put a closed bracket after the 8 and it read thus.... 1Cool

read my original original post

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 14-01-09 16:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Being fit makes skiing easier - simple.

Last year I was fit - 5ft 10, 12.5 stone, 11% body fat and resting pulse of 50; when I skied with my mates I just didn't get tired which made a change from me wheezing at the back. This year I've let myself go - 5ft 10 (still), 12.9 stone, 18 % body fat and resting pulse of 70 - off on saturday and think I'm going to get crucified.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bucking bronco wrote:
Being fit makes skiing easier - simple.

Last year I was fit - 5ft 10, 12.5 stone, 11% body fat and resting pulse of 50; when I skied with my mates I just didn't get tired which made a change from me wheezing at the back. This year I've let myself go - 5ft 10 (still), 12.9 stone, 18 % body fat and resting pulse of 70 - off on saturday and think I'm going to get crucified.

Have to admit... I'm going training now and thinking please god let this end.... 4 or 5 years ago, before I did my knee, I used to get really p****d off 'cos my mates used to wimp out after one game of squash... I just wanted more.... The downside however is that it was just that that caused my knee injury..... 3 hours into an afternoon session with my then business partner and my right knee felt like someone had poured powdered glass into it (should have stopped then!!) 3 and a half hours in..... something let go in my knee, I screamed, fell to the floor and the rest, as they say, is history!

But yes, the last few years skiing as an unfit fat boy have certainly been hard work but I have still enjoyed every minute! Will be nice next season when I'm back to some sort of real fitness!
latest report
Good luck with your recovery - putting the hard graft in now with the physio will pay dividends next year I'm sure. 1999 I got helicoptered off the slopes in a stretcher - reconstructive surgery on my shoulder complete with 3 bits of metal, took 2000 off and 2001 was awesome.

So if you're missing this year - surely that means you can go twice as many times next year? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
My brother is 5'10 and over 17 st. He beats most of the people he plays at squash and can mountain bike for most of the day on tough terrain. Damn annoying really Twisted Evil
ski holidays
As I have put on other threads, skiing is the one sporting activity I take part in where I can actually feel normal, being one of life's plump pixies [fat shortarses] Toofy Grin . I love cycling, but am never going to give Nicole Cooke or Vicky Pendleton sleepless nights, and do end up a puffing wreck when things get above the horizontal. So using my body mass to its advantage to hurtle at speed down slippy stuff and catch up the stick people is quite good fun snowHead

I think the point to be made is not about fatness but about fitness and there is research evidence out there in learned journals that states if you are fat, then being fit and active is better than doing beggar all. Off for some chairobics... Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

I still can't fit in just anything that topshop sells yet,

I will never fit in anything Topshop sells, even as a post mortem skelington. Is that what we're supposed to be aiming at?
snow report
The important question is: when a Woman asks a Man 'Does my bum look big in this?' What should a bloke answer? Puzzled Does he tell the truth and get abused, does he lie and get told he's only saying that because that's what he thinks she wants to hear?
ski holidays
Spyderman, The answer is 'of course not, but I think you could look even more terrific in a new outfit, let me come with you and we'll use my credit card to buy one'
ski holidays
I have a very skinny friend (size 6-Cool and a rather large sister (size 20-22) who both claim they'd ideally like to be a size 14. I'm a size 14 and I feel kinda chunky. The moral of the story here is that no woman is ever satisfied with her shape...

The only thing they really need to envy me for is the fact that I ski and they haven't ever had the pleasure... Very Happy
latest report
My Wii fit doesn't think I can ski, it thinks I'm a fat barsteward. It has just asked me if I would like to dicuss my calorie intake. It's a machine for f*cks sake!!
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Spyderman, I think you could look even more terrific in a new outfit, let me come with you and we'll use my credit card to buy one'

That's very generous of you. Very Happy There's a particular Spyder Jacket & Pants I fancy for 2010. I'll send you the bill. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
ickabodblue, my Wii fit reckons I've got pretty poor balance and that I can't ski. Next time I'm doing a couloir or skiing the trees I'll take it with me and throw it down the slope ahead of me. I want to see how well it does.
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
The important question is: when a Woman asks a Man 'Does my bum look big in this?' What should a bloke answer? Puzzled Does he tell the truth and get abused, does he lie and get told he's only saying that because that's what he thinks she wants to hear?

A good answer, as long as it is said with a tone of voice that says you really mean it: "actually, your bum looks fantastic in that!"

queen bodecia wrote:
I have a very skinny friend (size 6-Cool and a rather large sister (size 20-22) who both claim they'd ideally like to be a size 14. I'm a size 14 and I feel kinda chunky. The moral of the story here is that no woman is ever satisfied with her shape...

Recent research suggests that women who are a size 14 are the happiest overall with their body shape.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy