Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Clusaz

Poster: A snowHead
Any recomendations for good mountain restaurants in La Clusaz?
Also, I am looking for a good guide there for off-piste/touring
Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Didnt really do much lunching when there the other week. Was in the telemark cafe for a cheeky vin chaud which was a bit crazy at 12.30pm! Food coming out of the kitchen looked lovely though and it was tres busy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We liked 'U fredy' at Etale and 'Dahu' at Merdassier.

We also like L'Outa in town
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We too had a great lunch at 'U fredy'. It's not on the mountain, though, but rather near the base of the Etale Telemix lift. Staff where freindly and food was yummie.

Other than that, we ate sandwiches out of the backpack each day. There looked to be several nice places in the main area right above town, though.

We got kicked off the telemark cafe deck for eating our sandwiches there even though we'd ordered drinks and the deck was empty. It's policy, so I won't argue with it, but it turned us off from returning with a larger group the next day (that's how we ended up at 'U fredy'. They were in their right to make us move 5 meters, but it was their lost revenue in the end.

To give a fair review, the food there did look quite good.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just had this resort recommended by a French mate. Any tips about going DIY to La Clusaz? Flying to Geneva and hiring car/taxi/bus? Or driving from Calais?

Good , cheap S/C accommodation? Are there any supermarkets?

Anything you've got really.

TIA - A Newbie!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Watching this thread with interest cos we're going to La Clusaz first week in March for the first time. I found what looks like some good info here.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheap accomodation can be found on: www.interhome.co.uk
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
t40ora, I went DIY to La Clusaz last Christmas.

We rented a car from Geneva. For four people it was easier and actually cheaper than any other option. The drive was easy, although I wouldn't want to do the last bit in a storm.

We rented a holiday flat from these people: http://www.la-clusaz-immobilier.com/

It was basic but fine, cheap, and in a good location. No complaints.

There is a fairly large supermarket on the main road heading out of the village center, so no worries there. There are also lots of small shops (butchers, bakers, cheese shops, etc), although the wonderfully named "House of Ham" burned down the night before we left. I guess they left the smoker on.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
La Clusaz - fab resort going back in March for the 5th time. We go DIY everytime renting an appartment from a friend. Driving down from Calais this time instead of flying, should take around 8 hours.

Chez Fon Fon in Col de la Croix Fry is a fantastic little moutain restaurant which does a good selection of meals and snacks.

The village has 3 supermarkets one at the top of the village and two towards the bottom, the one at the bottom on the main road is the bigger of the three and has more selection. Loads of fantastic cake shops for fresh croissants and wonderful cakes.

L'Outa rocks, friendly atmosphere and gorgeous food.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Has anyone got any tips for an Apres drink? OK, I know it's France but there must be somewhere with a bit of atmosphere.

I'm also interested in anywhere with a pool table (6 middle aged guys don't need a lot to keep themselves entertained). Any recommendations?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 22-01-10 10:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Le Pub in La Clusaz. You can ski there, but there's no lift directly next to it. Has a pool table. Will put the footy on if you ask. Decent beer prices. Run by a friendly Scot.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Were off next Saturday for 3 days and a bit of moonlight skiing on Saturday. Plenty of pubs in Liverpool with pool tables and footy, run by scots as well. Any French apres thats decent? - no offence intended Ami. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
twoodwar wrote:
Were off next Saturday for 3 days and a bit of moonlight skiing on Saturday. Plenty of pubs in Liverpool with pool tables and footy, run by scots as well. Any French apres thats decent? - no offence intended Ami. snowHead
Sansnom,

Best and friendliest nosh shop is Chez Fon-Fon at Croix Fry. Gerard d Christine run a very restaurant with great sunny terrace and delicious food. Say that Calie sentyouand you may get a Genepi gratis ! Le Telemark is great too. It's on I'Etale. Ty'll burn Cs for you while you ski.

Get in touch with Pete Hill at Snowlog (Merdassier) for skiguiding. He is BASI and does telemark lessons too. Also tell him that Charlie sent you. He's 40 euros/hour. Great guy. Any other questions I might be able to answer as this was my 23rd year in La Clusaz
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RachelQ,

Rachel .. It's a really great place but might lack snow in March as it's low down. Good bars in town are the trendy Bachal, le Pub wedged in the middle of the oneway system. La Ferme rest't on Rte du col des Aravis I recommend. On Etale there's the Telemark, Bossonets hasn't much snow (ATM) so getting to Le Bercail might kill your skis. DO go to FonFon at Croix Fry. Any more help needed ..... I'm here !
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

It's a really great place but might lack snow in March as it's low down.

Odds on it'll be better than now. wink And if you have a car, drive down to La Giettaz for a day, perhaps. Miranda will be able to give you detailed snow reports.
ski holidays
I’ve just come back from La Clusaz and had a great time, apart from my other half breaking 2 ribs on her second run down on the first day and EasyJet losing my skis on the way out!!! The resort is great and the Hotel Beaulieu was fantastic, definitely recommend it. Fortunately we arrived after they had 20cms of snow last Sunday so the pistes were in good condition on the Monday which was a god send because by the end of the week they were pretty poor, especially low down. La Balme is still holding up well and had the best snow but it started to get busier as the week went on. On the whole though queues weren’t bad at all, I waited no more than 5 mins on any of the lifts. For those of you going out to the area any time soon I really hope you get a fresh “dump” because it’s starting to look sparse. There are quite a few rocks showing on the lower runs especially back to the resort so consider hiring skis/boards. Nightlife was quite quiet, not sure if that was down to the week we chose or not, but I can recommend Le Caves du Pacally for Après Ski and La Scierie was a fabulous restaurant all be it on the expensive side, to be honest everywhere was expensive, 6 euro for a pint minimum. The Bistro was really good as well but where ever you go book, they tend to get full. La Clusaz is a lovely resort and I enjoyed the skiing it was just a shame the snow didn’t hold up that well the week we were there, but I guess you could say that about a lot of resorts in France this season.
snow report
Quote:

I guess you could say that about a lot of resorts in France this season.

Absolutely. some pretty shocking reports from the 3 Valleys the last few days.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy