Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zurich Airport to St Anton.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Regular reader , but 1st time poster.

I’m off to St Anton Saturday week - flying to Zurich. I was there a couple of years ago but we flew to Innsbruck and got a bus transfer to St Anton.
From looking on the web & here the train seems to be the best way to get from Zurich Airport to St Anton. I’ve also read about a special rail&ski ticket you can get that and it entitles you to a discount on the ski pass. Does anyone know about this? Or any other advice about the best way to travel - is the train the quickest / easiest way to get there?

Thanks, Zohan
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
zohan, this might be an option?

http://www.arlbergexpress.com/EN-en/zurich_airport_shuttleservice.aspx
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN CHOO CHOO TRAIN Wink

No idea about combined discount ticket but heh they are friendly at the train station so queue and ask.

R
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers fellas,

red 27, I'd prefer the train, more leg room than poxy buses(granted I’m sure Austrian busses are far superior to their Irish counterparts)

plectrum, Should I book the train ticket online in advance, or wait until I arrive at the airport? If if booking online is cheaper , I’d rather have it booked in advance.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TRAIN!!! Straight into St Anton, cheap as chips too
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
zohan, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zohan, Go to the SBB website, it has a english version
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zohan, The train is awesome direct from Zurich central(one stop from airport), just get on and fall asleep. It is really quick, ultra quiet and lots of space for ski bags etc and you always get a seat.

Nnever really given prebooking much thought, you may save something but I always just buy my ticket at the station in Zurich. return to St Anton. To be honest I never give much thought to money when going on ski holiday, it is my one big luxury of the year so 3L bottles of Vodka over freshly made cocktails, coaches over fast direct trains, bunk beds over double beds, single resort passes over region passes etc etc etc I just don't go for.

zohan, St Anton is an absolutely amazing resort and visiting Lech etc over the other side of the Valuga range is well worth it. Have fun dude.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
err the train looks a good idea, seriously i have done it a couple of times and it is a nice trip, remember that you are allocated a specific seat in a specific carraige and the locals are bit of a stickler for such things Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The train it is!! And I’ll buy the ticket when I land.

plectrum, I like your thinking.
I’m not normally so organised, but I really cant wait to get over there!!

Glad to hear it such an easy trip by train. I’m travelling solo from Zurich as my mates are going over on the Thursday, but I cant get the extra days off work (esp the way things are at the minute) We plan to go to Lech for a day or two, had a great day there a couple of years back.
I’m probably what you would class as an intermediate skier – I can handle my own on blacks , so I’m thinking I’ll bite the bullet and hire an instructor to venture off-piste for the first time.

The lads are also thinking of going to Ischgl for a day – do ye think its worth it?? Or should we hold off to travel there another year?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zohan wrote:
I’ve also read about a special rail&ski ticket you can get that and it entitles you to a discount on the ski pass.

Its for resorts in Switzerland.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zohan, I don't think Ischgl is worth it as a week isn't long enough to ski all of St Anton, Stuben, St Christoph, Zurs, Oberlech, Lech without even starting on the offpiste!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zohan, check the times carefully. Some of them are one change, others are two or three. Not good for late arrival or early flights out of Zurich.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zohan, The St Anton website should give you the timetables http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/winter/userfiles/PDFs/Zug_St.Anton-Zuerich_09.pdf I've not gone there from Zurich but have gone via Innsbruck, Friedrichshafen and Salzburg. When speaking to folk who have done the Zurich transfer by train they have said it is brilliant.
Would probably agree with plectrum, re missing out on Ischgl - yeah it would be do-able but you've got so much skiing on your doorstep, why bother travelling (probably) at least 2 hours in total to ski Ischgl. If it were me I would save Ischgl for another week, so you can enjoy the apres there. Looks like next year for the link to Kappl from Rendl, so it will be possible in the not too distant future that you can ski both areas Smile
Piste to Powder seem to get (in the main) rave reviews for venturing off piste - only thing is that they'll need a pretty big dump of snow there before I would go off piste - not that I'm an expert - there has not been any significant snow since before Xmas and it's only the really cold temps and snow cannons that are keeping the pistes in excellent conditions. Check out stanton, comments on the Arlberg Snow Report in the Snow Conditions section of this site
Enjoy your trip and leave some beer for me please - off to Stuben at end of Feb
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you book with Swiss railways online (pick tickets up at Railway station Zurich Airport) 7 days before you travel you will save quite a bit of money on the fare.

Take any train to Zurich Main station then the direct train (2hr50min) to St Anton departs at 09:20 & 13:20 theres other trains as well but you need to change.

http://timetable.sbb.ch/bin/query-p2w.exe/Zuerich_flughafeSt_anton_am_arlb.pdf?pathinfo=/en&dwn=uk/uk2acsq8ma4xp24c_1_1.pdf
ski holidays
Agreed the train service is model of efficiency we can only admire in UK and a civilised way to go tbut he coach service was not too uncomfortable and last time I was skiing by lunch time. It is €75 return which seemed reasonable last year but now sounds expensive.
ski holidays
zohan, also when arriving in Zurich airport simply head to the SBB / Tourist office at the edge of the train station entrance - it i in the shopping area attached to the airport and it is very easy to follow the signs, they will explain the entire journey, but you will have to jump on one of the many trains from the airport station to the central train station so ask them to include that in your ticket, where you will pick up the train to St Anton, and as suggested check the convenience ofthe changes as it may be better to wait in the train station in Zurich for 30 minutes and get a direct train rather than get the first available train that has stops or changes. First class updrades are an interesting option wink
snow conditions
At the airport you do have to buy the ticket at the desk - the ticket machines only sell tickets to Swiss stations. Speedy routes, with 0 or 1 connection typically run every 2 hours
ski holidays
Its a few years since we did this trip, not sure on costs now, but it maybe better to get the Swiss Transfer ticket to the Austrian border then pay the conductor to St Anton. It wasn't too much then!!

Otherwise I'd plump for the Arlberg Express coach.
latest report
A single from St Anton to Zurich Airport cost me 36 Euros a couple of weeks ago - I didn't get a return as I took a random route on the way out, with a stop off at Flumserberg for an extra half day's skiing
ski holidays
1st Class return (booked 7 days in advance) Zurich Airport to St Anton am Arlberg including seat reservations (on the main journey) costs 146 Swiss Francs.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the info and the links. All very helpful.

I’ve checked out the time table and I can get the 17.30 direct train from Zurich main station. I’ll only have about an hour wait by the time I get my luggage. So plenty of time if I get lost!

Stanton, is it worth it getting a 1st class ticket? Any extra perks ?

I’m going to have a chat with the lads about leaving Ischgl until another trip.
snow report
I strongly recommend Ski Guide Harry Wolf from the Arlberg ski school (yellow/blue) jackets. He is the head of the snowboard school but also an ace skier. Great young guy, local grown up in region, speaks fluent english!
ski holidays
zohan wrote:
Stanton, is it worth it getting a 1st class ticket? Any extra perks ?

Less people in carriage, quieter, bigger seats & they come round with coffee.
snow report
Anybody know when rail tickets for February 2011 go on sale?
snow conditions
halfhand, No but I shall be taking the same route. Also thinking about whether it's cheaper to buy them from Swiss or Austrian Rail.
snow report
90 days in advance
latest report
European Winter Timetables changeover on 11.12.10 . The new timetables are normally available about 30days before. So generally you can booking mid November (15th) .
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, Ta

Colin B, Hmm didn't think of that, good point
ski holidays
halfhand, Swiss franc is even worse against the £ than the Euro. I did look a little while ago and for 2 us (15 year old and me) buying from swiss rail it was about £120 for a flexible ticket and a lot less if you could commit to specific trains.
ski holidays
Shocked , might as well hire a car and drive rolling eyes
latest report
halfhand, that's for both of us. Just checked 124 SwFr adult flexible return, half that if you are confident to commit to specific trains (I'm not).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy