Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet ski carriage

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know if easyjet's ski carriage includes the carriage of ski boots? Last year when I travelled with them, I didn't have to add an additional hold bag for the ski boots (as they are included in the ski carriage costs). Not sure if that still applies this year. I can't seem to find any information on easyjet's website and the ski carriage merely states "pairs of skis".
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Usually the check in operator makes their own rules up depending on which side of the bed they got out of. Changes every time u use them rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Teckie, counted towards our hold luggage this year
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Techie, Flew Easyjet from Bristol to Geneva over Christmas & no problem putting the boots in a separate bag in the hold luggage i.e. paid for a normal hold bag & for skis & was allowed to put 1 normal hold bag, 1 boot bag & 1 ski bag in the hold.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Teckie, Can you fit your boots in either your ski bag or hold bag? I think this is the safest option and is what we did last week. It should be as blizt says but I don't feel you can guarantee that. Paying for the ski carriage gets you an increase from 20 to 32kg for the hold to include the ski eqpt, split between the hold bag and ski bag. I think taking a boot bag is a bit risky as they could sting you for the cost of an extra bag even if you were within the overall max weight. I agree it isn't very clear on their website. You could try emailing them, I have done before, sometimes you get a sensible response and sometimes you don't.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Teckie wrote:
Does anyone know if easyjet's ski carriage includes the carriage of ski boots? Last year when I travelled with them, I didn't have to add an additional hold bag for the ski boots (as they are included in the ski carriage costs). Not sure if that still applies this year. I can't seem to find any information on easyjet's website and the ski carriage merely states "pairs of skis".

yes it does, you can put your ski bag and boot bag in the hold as part of your ski carraige allowance
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the responses - I've just called Easyjet and the response they gave was ridiculous. You have to pack the ski boots into the ski bag for it to be considered as one item. I told them I have 2 ski carriages paid for, and what if I pack 2 skis in the same bag and 2 boots in the same bag, that'll leave me with altogether 2 items but apparently that can't be done. It has to be 1 pair of ski packed with 1 pair of boot for each item. Sounds crazy, what is it to easyjet how I pack my skis? Either that, or pay for another hold luggage... geez...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Teckie, it seems thay have changed their web site again and it suggests that your sporting equipment is per item, whereas perviously ski carraige was defined as ski bag and boot bag, but now it is silent on this. I was asked last month if I had ski boots in my hand luggage (which I did not have) and was told that they could be checked in with skis in a separate boot bag as part of the ski carraige. Basically I do not think they have a clue what is going on, but you do get 32 kg for your checked in baggage added with the ski carraige charge so just get a big hold bag and put your boots in it with the rest of your stuff if you are worried.

'Sporting equipment Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 Kgs including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kgs. An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the sporting equipment as set out in the table below: '
snow report
 brian
brian
My better half checked in at GVA on Monday with skis and boots in separate bags. No problem.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Teckie, as stated above we checked in boots & skis separately for both journeys at Christmas/New Year with no problem at all. In fact coming home we were just over the weight allowance as well but when I asked if the checkin lady wanted me to remove something from the hold luggage she said no, it was fine.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops wrote:

'Sporting equipment Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 Kgs including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kgs. An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the sporting equipment as set out in the table below: '

Ray I think this last bit is misleading, if you read further on their website below the para you have quoted it says specifically about skis. I don't think skis are classed as 'sporting equipment' and have the 50kg allowance, I think they are classed as 'skis' and basically you get 12kg extra to your 20kg hold allowance so 32kg in total, not 50kg.
I would hate to see someone get seriously stitched by Easyjet on this.

Teckie, FWIW I was so bothered by this that I decided to invest in a new enormous padded ski bag, in it I packed 1 pair of skis, 3 pairs of boots and loads of other bits and pieces. It was more than 12kg, more like 20kg, but 2 of our hold bags were only around 10kg each.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
See my reply above. The @rse doesn't know what the elbow is doing Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sarah, 50 kg is a limit for sports equipment, any sports equipment, and assumes you have paid excess baggage over the 32 kg to get to 50 kg, but if your sports equipment is 60 kg (lead skis) they will not allow it on the flight no matter how much you willing to pay

The point is that they used to say on their web site that ski carraige was 'ski bag and boot bag', i.e. two bags, but now they say 'fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the sporting equipment' and seem to be saying skis are one bit of equipment and boots are another bit of equipment, which means that you need to pay for each as a separate item, either ski carraige or for the boots I presume the 'hold' fee, which is the response that Teckie, has had by phone from them

For avoidance of doubt, hold baggae 20 kg, ski carraige 12 kg, heaviest allowed single bag 32 kg, maximum weight allowed to be checked in even (even if you want to pay for more) 50 kg so do not turn up with 60 kg thinking you will just pay excess because you can only take 50 kg with you

Charlatanefc, yip Very Happy

edit - sarah - be careful because you can not 'share' your baggage allowance between passengers
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Appears to be a largely random policy depending on who you talk to.

I recently flew from LGW to GVA - phoned to pre book ski carriage and was told it was free.

Huh? OK, well, great - thanks - could you email me confirmation of that? Sure Sir, no problem...

Arrived at Gatwick armed with confirmation and all was fine. Check-in person also ignored the fact that we were over the 32kg weight limit.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, thanks that's clearer Smile
Charlatanefc, absolutely as evidenced by JT_London's comments.
JT_London, amazing and very lucky Very Happy
ski holidays
I made the same query to Ryanair whose policy is also unclear and was told by them to ask the ground-agent Servisair at the departure airport for clarification as it is them that do checkin - that could explain some of the discrepancies. I contacted them but they have not replied.
latest report
another little trick is always be friendly with the check in staff

they will be more lenient going out as you could get rid of some weight
coming back is the time when they will try to sting you
saying that i had an out of range sticker on my bag from geneva last year
latest report
rayscoops - I think you are absolutely right, the ski carriage is per item. What baffles me is the suggestion that was put to me regarding putting my skis and boots in the same ski bag (either that or as the customer service person suggested - put the boots in a plastic bag and tie it to the ski bag rolling eyes) My situation was quite simple, I paid for 2 carriages, I'm carrying 2 items (albeit 2 skis in my ski bag and 2 pairs of boots in another) - nope, that doesn't work for them.

Think I'd just stick the boots in my big hold luggage as sarah have suggested (since there's the 2 of us, we're permitted 32kg for that one luggage), stuff the bulky ski jackets, pants etc in the ski bag and pack our hand luggages to the max... that'll avoid any unnecessary grief at the airport.

6am at the airport tomorow - it'll be an early morning trek to the airport
ski holidays
Quote:

edit - sarah - be careful because you can not 'share' your baggage allowance between passengers

I think we shared the allowance when we flew from Bristol as there were 2 of us & the just weighed all of our 5 bags (1 ski bag, 1 boot bag, 1 board bag, 2 normal hold luggage) one after the other to get a total - surely that's sharing the weight between 2 passengers?
latest report
Quote:

That's certainly the case with Ryanair but i don't think it is with Sleezyjet
latest report
i have booked to go with easyjet, i have paid for ski carraige, but havent paid for actual hold luggage as im putting all my bits in my ski bag.does anybody know if i have to pay for a hold bag as my skibag will probably weigh around the 32kg max....
snow conditions
barthez1980, I think you'll be ok, but don't hold me to it. They are charging you for "one pair of skis" and that increases your weight allowance to 32 Kg. I don't think it says anywhere that it must be in 2 bags. Fr instance, I balanced mine at 17Kg and 15, --you are 0 and 32-- the principle's the same. But 32Kg will be a pig to handle, which is why I chose my balance.
snow report
Farley Goode, yeah, i know, had a bit of troube when it was to capacity of 34kgs last week!!!!luckily the OH is coming this time, so I can palm some stuff off on her.....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When I fly easyjet, I put my boots in my main bag (which has boots pockets). With all my kit (less skis) that's about 20kg. So with the ski bag, the total is well within 32 kg. So no problem. Last time out to the Alps I went by train - so even less of a problem.
snow report
barthez1980 wrote:
i have booked to go with easyjet, i have paid for ski carraige, but havent paid for actual hold luggage as im putting all my bits in my ski bag.does anybody know if i have to pay for a hold bag as my skibag will probably weigh around the 32kg max....

Have done this with easyjet a few times, they seem fine with it.

Tried it with BMIBaby and they caused a right fuss ended up about £50 out of pocket!
ski holidays
I turned up at Bristol last week with a board bag weighing 18 kg (ski carraige pre paid) and no hold check-in baggage and was told I was 6 kg over weight and would either have to pay for a hold bag or pay excess on the ski carriage. I politely disputed this and the check-in girl actually agreed with me (must have been acting to orders) and called her supervisor, who again said that I was allowed 12 kg as ski carriage and 20 kg only if I had paid for a check-in bag, and advised me to pay for a check-in bag. At this point I said it was wrong to check-in an ‘imaginary’ bag and in any case the 20 kg free allowance came with the flight ticket and a charge was made for every bag that was checked-in as part of that allowance, and as I was not checking-in any bags then the charge was ‘zero’ and no excess baggage was applicable because I had 18 kg compared with my allowance of 32 kg, this seemed to confuse the chap somewhat and change his point of view because he also started to see my point and agreed with me. To resolve the issue I said I would pay the charge but could I be given a name or number of ‘customer services’ rep to contact on my return because I did not believe that they were correctly interpreting the situation. All of this discussion was carried out in a most polite and conciliatory manner Little Angel

I was then taken to a separate desk to pay the extra fee, but a bit of paper was signed and no fee was actually requested Very Happy

On the way back at Innsbruck there was no issue whatsoever Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops, Good result... and being polite and generally nice to people can often pay dividends. We all get caught up in bureaucracy... even the staff at the desks.
ski holidays
Scarpa, sure thing, I remembered a recent post on here whereby a snowHead friend was being charged for 2 kg excess baggage on a local connecting flight to USA and threatened to 'expose' it on the internet .... but but the BA check-in staff did not budge ..... it was with this in mind that I thought I would try to talk them around rather than chucking my toys out of the pram Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, My bag was 2.5kg overweight on the flight out... no problems. I reckon package deals are more likely to ignore small infringements.
ski holidays
We don't appear to have a screaming 'smiley' in the tool box.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy