Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Working around Ryanair's stupid baggage polices

Poster: A snowHead
As I am sure most of you know - Ryanair has a stupidly low, and pretty well policed 15KG weight limit, and they charge an extortianate £10 per leg fee per bag, and £30 per leg fee for skis. Furthermore they seem to do everything possible to find a new way to charge you money. Ryanair also now charges an astronomical £15 per KG per kilo per leg of excess baggage. E.g. 5 kilos over, and that's 75 quid less beer money.

So the challenge is to get all your latest ski kit onto the plane when you have such little luggage allowance (my boots alone are 5.5KG).

Having carefully planned it, we managed to get all our luggage (skis, boots etc) of luggage onto the plane without problems.

1) Buy a large 'stroller' for carry-on and ensure it is just less than the Ryanair baggage size limits (55cm x 40cm x 20cm). I have actually found their carry on size measuring things near the checkin desks are smaller than this, so I took a mini tape-measure and a printout of their tape measure with me just in case.

2) Put ski boots and anything else heavy into your carry on. We got about 11KG each into our carry-on luggage (Ryanair limit is actually 10KG). They don't weigh them at the desk, although at Stansted they weigh them at security although only to put a 'heavy' sticker on presumably some silly Health & Safety thing for security scanners. Do not tell the Ryanair checkin people you have ski boots in your bag (any excuse to charge you more). The security people obviously see the boots and are ok with them.

3) Get one double ski-bag between two people (or even 3). Put all your skis in that bag and pad out with any heavy clothing (jeans/jackets/evening boots etc). At Stansted and Salzburg they didn't weigh ski bags and seemed to not care there were multiple sets of skis in there.

4) Make sure your hold bag is under 15KG (although at Salzburg we heard the checkin person tell someone that anything up to 17KG would get by).

5) Smile sweetly when you check in.

This worked for us. Your mileage may vary.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kamikaze, you were lucky with the carry on ski boots !!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kamikaze, Or you bite the bullet and go BA from Grotwick. I know it's further away but it's doable and valet parking is only £40-ish for a week. BA to Geneva £110 return including tax and luggage and a drink on the way.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops - I've carried on ski boots on my last 5 or 6 ryanair ski flights. Never been a problem. If you are carrying a boot bag it looks obvious - but if you pack it into a stroller - nobody knows. Security people have never objected, and I would have thought the x-ray profile of a ski boot is pretty obvious.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kamikaze, It depends on the airport.

Some airports specifically state in their rules that boots are not allowed in hand luggage, and there have been stories of people being turned back at security at those airports.

Last year Bristol were one which did not allow Ski Boots in Hand luggage, but that restriction no longer appears on their website.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Note that in the baggage policy for ski carriage is says skis, boots and poles included- on my most recent trip have been able to carry a boot bag along with a ski bag for the overall price of one ski carriage, no problems- you don't need to pay for an extra bag with the boot bag (unlike with Easyjet)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr. Will, kamikaze, Easyjet allow a boot bag and ski bag as standard ski carraige , I was asked in Dec at Bristol if I had boots in my hand luggage and if so they need to go in the hold. Grenoble have posters up all over the place saying the same thing.

maybe Ryanair are bucking the trend to keep hold luggage less weighty because maybe they are charged by the airport operators in some way for what actually gets 'weighed in' through the system and hand luggage does not get such scrutiny?

there is no set rule and it is risky accepting the idea that boots can go in hand luggage in all circumstances, so beware !! Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kamikaze wrote:
rayscoops - I've carried on ski boots on my last 5 or 6 ryanair ski flights. Never been a problem. If you are carrying a boot bag it looks obvious - but if you pack it into a stroller - nobody knows. Security people have never objected, and I would have thought the x-ray profile of a ski boot is pretty obvious.

I just sling my boot bag over my back and it seems to work everytime
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Why are they stupid? They define the allowances and outline them and as always if you don't like them then you don't have to use Ryanair.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thefatcontroller, I believe a ski bag with boots and poles etc can weigh more than the allowance you pay for as ski carraige
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller wrote:
Quote:

Why are they stupid? They define the allowances and outline them and as always if you don't like them then you don't have to use Ryanair.

They are stupid because they advertise themselves as a "skiers airline", and the limitations are such that those with ski equipment find it hard to fit within them.

To be truly a skiers airline, they shoudl have baggage allowance on ski flights that reflects the requirements for skiing, rather than just going to airports convenient for ski resorts.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jet2 allow ski bag and boot bag for their ski carriage charge (£17.50) per sector but limit their combined weight to 20kg, checked bag limit has just been upped to 22kg for which they have a variable bag charge depending on distance (eg £5.99 Geneva but £12.99 Malaga). So all in all not too bad, prices are OK as well booked two Geneva returns last night for £47.98 each all in (card charges etc but no bags), cheapest I've managed is £39.47. All of this is out of LBA if anyone is interested. Jet2 added £12 fuel surcharge to the flights I booked in Dec but seem to have dropped it on the 3 Geneva I've booked in Jan (but still added it to the Malaga Puzzled ).

On the ski boots in hand luggage it works fine with Jet2 out of LBA, but you will get turned back at Grenoble whoever you fly with, not a real problem though as they check your hand bag as hold luggage and DO NOT charge you any extra (in my experience).

Last flight we had two pairs of skli/poles in the bag which only left enough weight for one boot in the boot bag, God knows what they thought at security Shocked .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops, alex_heney, Its simple if you think they are stupid and don't like them then don't fly with them Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller, i don't Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have wondered about wearing ski boots for the flight Twisted Evil. Is that allowed? Has anyone tried it?
latest report
espri, i asked eastjet and they said no Very Happy
snow report
Off topic and I know the answer will be somewhere in the vaults of Snowheads, but if flying with Easyjet, can you have your one hold bag as a board bag and that alone (ie all your stuff packed in the board bag)?
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
thefatcontroller, i don't Very Happy

wink Cool . I am not an apologist for Ryanair but I do find it funny when people complain about them and Easyjet etc...Without them breaking the monopoly BA, Are Lingus etc had no one would be flying within Europe or if you were you paid vast sums for the privledge. Don't like them, then don't fly with them.
snow report
martski, that is exactly what I do, and you get the weight allownace for the board bag 12 kg and standard hold alowance 20 kg (32 kg I think in total), but of course the charge for the hold bag is 0 bags x £8 or what ever up to a maximum of 20 kg, so 5 bags weighing 20 kg in total is 5 x £8 and zero bags weighing 20 kg is 0 x £8 = 0, so board bag carraige and no other checked in bag gives 32 kg, but i try to keep the board bag weight to something sensible and fill my hand luggage with as much as possible too, just in case wink
snow conditions
rayscoops, Shocked My head exploded reading that.... Laughing
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, agreed, i just find Ryanair expensive because they do not fly from anywhere near me and the baggage and booking feesadd up to quite a lot. hand luggage only flights and you can get an exceptional bargain Very Happy ,
ski holidays
you could always but your ski boots on and stick your trainers in the hand luggage
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:

To be truly a skiers airline, they shoudl have baggage allowance on ski flights that reflects the requirements for skiing, rather than just going to airports convenient for ski resorts.

I think that is so true. Smile
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, try booking a flight as atest and pay for ski carraige only and have zero hold bags, they only charge you per bag that you check in up a max of 20 kg wink

edit - or to put it another way, you have 20 kg free allowance, and get charged £8 for each bag that allowance is spread over, so if you do not check a bag in you do not get charged but you still have that free allowances. Ski carraige (if you pay for it) is added to your free allowance, so you get 12 kg plus your free allowance of 20 kg

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 13-01-09 13:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
russ_e wrote:
you could always but your ski boots on and stick your trainers in the hand luggage

No thanks it's enough of a hassle taking my trainers off at security as it is Laughing
latest report
rayscoops, I'm not far from you so Easyjet to Geneva is ok Cool . Handy thing is now we have bought a place, we can leave our skis out there.
snow report
Julieanne wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

I think that is so true. Smile

So someone who goes skiing and hires should subsidise the costs of those that fly with their own skis and boots? Don't like the cost then fly with someone else. Toofy Grin
snow report
thefatcontroller, sounds good, travelling with hand luggage and having your gear at the resort is by far the best way to travel Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The other day, rootling through my skiing gear and bags, I found an old double ski bag. As I've recently only used my single ski bag for trips--with the single ski & poles, I've had the brilliant idea of using the double ski bag again and stuffing it with clothes---then taking my skiboots in hand luggage (as always.. Toofy Grin )---thus devising my personal system well within limits of 15Kg or 20 Kg -- depending on whatever airline I'll use.... wink
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:

"Handy thing is now we have bought a place, we can leave our skis out there".

Good idea, but this limits you to the one resort. Instead, why not buy your own plane in order to get round the silly baggage rules ?
snow report
Quote:
5) Smile sweetly when you check in.

That is esential --I always do....but works only if check-in girl/boy/man /woman is duly receptive of good vibes! Toofy Grin
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
thefatcontroller, sounds good, travelling with hand luggage and having your gear at the resort is by far the best way to travel Cool

and if you check in online you just arrive at security say 30mins before the flight, great when you live 10 mins from the airport Cool
snow conditions
I'm flying out with BMI baby - they charge extra for boot bags & don't allow boots as hand luggage (according to website) - however I can fit boots & my skis/poles & clothes into a double skibag (found in the back of a cupboard:)). Only paid for Ski carriage, no other bags, so nice to know I can get 32kg in there. Maybe I should take my bootbag for Easyjet on the way back? Or can I just put my boots in hand luggage both ways, & smile nicely at check-in? I'd certainly prefer that (flying MAN-GVA). Rather confused & slightly worried - my boots cost a lot more than my skis & I don't fancy a week without them, lucky I don't need to use T5 LHR!
snow report
Obvious solution IMV : Win Lottery. Buy apartment in ski resort -- live there or be a seasonaire. No more travel/baggage hassle. Toofy Grin
latest report
truffaut wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

Good idea, but this limits you to the one resort. Instead, why not buy your own plane in order to get round the silly baggage rules ?

Actually 2 resorts. La Plagne and Les Arcs, 465km of piste and the same again probably of off piste. Lifes a bitch Toofy Grin . Buying a plane is a good idea though, why don't all those that complain about Ryanair buy their own plane?
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
truffaut wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

Actually 2 resorts. La Plagne and Les Arcs, 465km of piste and the same again probably of off piste. Lifes a bitch Toofy Grin . Buying a plane is a good idea though, why don't all those that complain about Ryanair buy their own plane?
Check out the various bags offered by new Brit brand; SnoKart on www.snokart.com. They have been designed by snowsport nutters who are fed up with the thought of owning their own aircraft! The boot bag doesnt look too much like a boot bag and it splits in two to help by-pass check-in difficulties. The Kart Bag covers all options, its a standalone wheelie, a standalone skibag or both combined.... good luck
snow report
Christian, "I liked the product so much, I bought the Company"
snow conditions
Glad the TOs never use Ryanair. Clearly they have to make money somewhere and by offering absurdly cheap flights they recoup the money in charging people for baggage. Does it then work out to cost the same as the equivalent non-budget airline...?
snow report
martski wrote:
Christian, "I liked the product so much, I bought the Company"
Haha.... exactly!
but not so much bought, more like created
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
rayscoops, alex_heney, Its simple if you think they are stupid and don't like them then don't fly with them Confused

I never have for ski trips, although I have used them for "normal" holidays.

I probably won't use them for a ski trip so long as tey have those luggage restrictions, because I would find it very difficult to fit within them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy