Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Instructor Courses

Poster: A snowHead
My son heard today that he has got the deferred university place that he hoped for, and is looking to do his BASI 2 (or equivalent) course next season. Does anyone have a view as to the pros and cons of the various qualifications and venue? He is tempted to do it in France (3V) because he will have such a vast ski area to play in over the 10 - 12 weeks and also may (but probably wouldn't) polish up his French. But does anyone here have views as to why it might be better to go to Switzerland or Whistler, for example. If anyone has violent antipathy towards any particular company, or indeed a recommendation, perhaps you could be kind enough to PM me. Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does he actually want to teach?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not as a long term career, but maybe during vacations when a student.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DaveC, would that change the advice you give Puzzled

noggy, no direct experience of these types of courses but I'd guess that social considerations, country, cost, duration would be the main deciding factors unless he's got some considerations on the career side too?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges,
Quote:

would that change the advice you give

I suspect it may - if for example he wanted to teach in Canada you'd suggest doing the Canadian qual, if he wanted to teach in Europe do BASI.

noggy, try searching the forum, there is loads of info on the pros and cons of various options.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/gap-year-ski-instructor-course.htm

Quite a few of the people on Warren's course seem to be in the same position - not sure spending time in Verbier would improve your French but it does have other inducements for an eligible young man.........
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
swizerlnd is very nice....and you can work also without licence....so you can work and pay someone for train........canada....is very far....and there you make only a lot of party......he will never pass any exam at all........to many beer and girls.......france is great but french people hate english cause they don't understand why you become basi that in your country there isn't the snow and so the future is to work in france anyway........they will be happier if english skier do the french exam......and not the esiest basi........
about italy you can go just in aosta valley for intersport.....if not if you try to work in italy without the italian brevet......your car gonna have few problem.....like fire for example......so pratically in my experience or swisse or france if is not a problem their razzism.......
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lungostyle, well, succintly put - thanks!! I thought France would probably be the best option. There appear to be 3 or 4 outfits that do similar things. One in particular seems about right, so we will pursue that. Thanks all.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was a bit rude on italy.....but I'm italian so I can talk bad about them.....heheheheh
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
slikedges wrote:
DaveC, would that change the advice you give Puzzled

Yeah. I'd fully recommend Nonstop here in Fernie if seasonally teaching in Europe isn't the end goal.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why not get qualified during the UK summer and then use that qualification to teach and earn suring the winter?
Souther hemisphere fore the overall adventure, or Sas Fee for the qualification (fun, but less adventure)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DaveC, I've heard lots good things about them. Could never do their programme myself due to time constraints but am actually quite curious about the csia system generally esp in relation to customer focus, as well as differences from basi central theme.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
noggy, maybe a decider would be the timing of the courses. Warren Smith has courses during summer or the main season. Phil Smith at Snoworks has a course that runs during the pre-season, allowing your son time then to work during the main season if he so wishes (as does Warren's summer course, but not the main season course). I and rob@rar have had excellent experiences with Snoworks (although not Gap courses), and Rob has also had good results from New Generation, who also do Gap courses (although I can't see dates on their website)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges wrote:
DaveC, I've heard lots good things about them. Could never do their programme myself due to time constraints but am actually quite curious about the csia system generally esp in relation to customer focus, as well as differences from basi central theme.

I don't know much about BASI besides what I've heard from Phil. S while in Morzine - He was talking about weeks in the classroom etc, which I haven't done at all with CSIA. Seems that the Canadian system puts a lot of emphasis on guest relations/clients too, not sure if others do but I haven't got that impression.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
noggy, I have sent you a PM anyway having met you both in Tignes, but I reckon ICE Val D'Isere would be worth you having a look at for the Europe option, or if he wants to go to Canada then I suggest Non Stop Ski. I've heard good things about both of those. Both would be during the main winter season.
ski holidays
noggy,

Or he could just do one of the DIrect BASI gap courses? I think they tend to be quite a lot cheaper.

http://www.basi.org.uk/course_disc.aspx?did=8
latest report
DaveC wrote:
slikedges wrote:

Seems that the Canadian system puts a lot of emphasis on guest relations/clients too, not sure if others do but I haven't got that impression.

Your impression is correct. BASI are far more technical focused and up to very recently haven't focused on the 'Guest Experience' at all. This is being rectified, with far more emphasis on teaching on L1 & L2 courses from this season on. I really benefited from doing both CSIA & BASI. Picked up in my view, the best of both worlds. I think the CSIA teaching ethos is the best in the world.
ski holidays
That's interesting - I never really considered a BASI course but for technical focus that'd be really interesting. Do they have conflicting ideas about skiing? I know the French and Canadian ways are pretty different...
snow report
DaveC, The CSIA & BASI are getting closer again, probably due to the joint coaching scheme. The main difference is within the BASI Central Theme, in that in BASI, Plough-Parallel is taught as a progressive stage between Plough and Parallel, whilst in CSIA Plough Serpentines are used as the stage between Plough & Parallel. Plough-Parallel being taught as an advanced manoeuvre 'Situational Stem' for use in tight spaces and difficult conditions.
I really think BASI should incorporate the 'Guest Experience' element from CSIA into their courses.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy