Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ellmau, Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Does any body have any info, advice, views on Ellmau or are you going as well?
Going to Alpenhof on Jan 31 with OH and 2 kids (9 & 12) - We've got about 8 years experience but are not very confident and the kids have got 3 years.

Any info gratefully received but please don't let it all be negative!!!

Thanks.
Zoe.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zwee, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead
I've not stayed at Ellmau, but have visited it when staying at Scheffau. You probably know that it is one resort amongst many in the area known as Wilder Kaiser or Grossraum, which include Itter, Soll, Scheffau, Ellmau, Going, Hopfgarten, Brixen and Westendorf. You can easily ski between most of these.
I seem to recall that the main uplift from Ellmau up the mountain is a high speed funicular called the Hartkaiserbahn
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stayed there at the Sporthotel - Ellmau is OK, fairly un-inspiring but enough going on I guess.
It was our first ever trip, good tip is to have a play over at the Going area, take the drag up the longer nursey slope and cut across down a track to the right, theres then a chair to take you to the top of, if I remember- the Arlberg
It's great over there because its very quiet compared to much of the other areas, good for a practice. You can also get into the main system from there by skiing down the other side, was fairly icy in patches I seem to remember; all down to experience though.

The train up the hill does get quite rammed Toofy Grin On the home run back to Ellmau (to the base of that station) there's quite a funky old hut which is worth a look, the run down did get quite busy though so we even ended up taking the train down when we couldn't be bothered- it happens! Good ski area for beginners/intermediates though. Don't forget to check reviews of Scheffau/Soll as they're all part of the same area and the top of the lifts from each pretty much end up in the same larger ski area.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zwee, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eddyr wrote:
good tip is to have a play over at the Going area, take the drag up the longer nursery slope and cut across down a track to the right, theres then a chair to take you to the top of, if I remember- the Arlberg

It's actually the Astberg. But Going is worth a visit (alternatively you can go over with the Hausbergbahn from Ellmau and then along the quite long track. However, this has a rather steep piste at the end, which wouldn't be recommended for beginners). When I was there last Tuesday, we found that the snow was better in Going. Elsewhere in Ellmau and Scheffau, etc., the pistes are mostly hard. But I'm hoping there will be new snow in the next few days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Zwee, Ski Welt is a great ski area, perfect for your level of experience and Ellmau is the best town in the area - you will love it! snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks to everyone so far! Smile
We've pre-booked lessons which I believe are 10-12 and 2-4...
Will this give us time to visit Going etc on our own?
Is it worth having the kids supervised for some lunchtime periods - does this mean they (or we) can go further afield with our lessons?
Cheers.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zwee wrote:
We've pre-booked lessons which I believe are 10-12 and 2-4...
Will this give us time to visit Going etc on our own?
Is it worth having the kids supervised for some lunchtime periods - does this mean they (or we) can go further afield with our lessons?

I suspect the two hour break would be rather a rush going to Going and back, depending on where you start from (and particularly if you want to eat too). If you're moving reasonably smartly over the pistes, skiing over and back may take only about an hour but that doesn't leave much time for runs in Going (and there's always the worry about being back at the right time).

I'm pretty sure, though, that your instructor will take you over there in the course of your lessons, particularly if you ask about it (and the class standard is appropriate). I haven't any experience of the ski schools in the Hohe Salve area but I would assume that the classes do ski around; that's the joy of the Hohe Salve range. However, if you have to be back midday to meet the kids, that would limit your radius. E.g. if you (and the class) wanted to ski over to Söll from Ellmau, you would have to arrange supervision for the kids midday, I expect.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Guys.

Anything else worth knowing about?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Where's the best place to leave skis (bearing in mind the kids are not great at carrying their own!) at the hotel (Alpenhof), ski hire shop or the funicular?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We used Ellmau Ski School and we went over to the Astberg (Thanks Espri, knew Arlberg didn't sound right Wink) one afternoon, you're right its a little steep at the end, the very last steep part does have a nice long run off though. One of our favourite areas to be honest.

Zwee, Can't answer where to leave skis as the Sporthotel was right off the nursery slopes, so left our gear there. There is regular buses around so probably just as well to take the skis back to base- depends if you want to go up the funicular or start at the T Bars actually in Ellmau
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eddyr wrote:
we went over to the Astberg one afternoon, you're right its a little steep at the end, the very last steep part does have a nice long run off though.

As well as the steep run down the Astberg into Going (the piste to the left looking from the top), there are easier blue and red pistes (on the right from the top), very pleasant runs. It was on the red piste that we found the good snow about a week ago. However, you have no real option but taking the steeper piste (there is a less steep bypass for one short section), if you come over from Ellmau using the track from the top of the Hausberg chairlift.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks again for all your tips.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OH has just asked if anyone knows there is Internet Access at the Alpenhof (or anywhere else) as needs to check a few things whilst we are away. rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Please let us know how you got on when you get back.

I booked last night for the week of 21st march in the hotel Blattlhof, which I believe is a bit out of town.
snow conditions
Will write a report soon - still seem to be doing the washing and, of course, checking webcams and snow reports to see if things are as good as when we were there. wink
ski holidays
Zwee wrote:
OH has just asked if anyone knows there is Internet Access at the Alpenhof (or anywhere else) as needs to check a few things whilst we are away. rolling eyes

There used to be a PC in the lobby of the Alpenhof - this was a few years ago though.
snow report
alex_heney, the Blattlhof is nearer Going than Ellmau iirc - it's a bit of a trek out of town, but always looked like a really nice hotel.

I've got vague recollections of being told that the famous(??) Vienna Spanish Riding School horses spend part of the year at the Blattlhof too...not sure whether that's a good thing or not though Smile
snow conditions
ChrisWo wrote:
alex_heney, the Blattlhof is nearer Going than Ellmau iirc - it's a bit of a trek out of town, but always looked like a really nice hotel.

Yes, having looked it up on maps, it is about 250 yards in a straight line (500 by road) from the Astberg lift. It does look nice.

But significantly further than that to either Going or Ellmau villages.

It does look like a good hotel.
snow conditions
Just a quick update now the ski-holiday blues have subsided and I've pulled myself together...

We stayed in Alpenhof opposite the Sport Hotel so very easy to get to nursery slopes or catch bus to Hartkaiser funicular. If you are using Hartkaiser try to get up there before 10am to avoid crowds and ski school meetings.

Skischool used was the http://www.skischule-ellmau.com/ and we had John who was very good - Kids had Jack who worked them hard and certainly at the age of the younger one (9) the "Follow - me" approach works - the older one (12) would probably benefitted from more "instruction" - they both enjoyed it though.

For our eating out night we went to the "Alm" which is by the Nursery slopes behind the Sporthotel - others used the Mexican.

ATM at Tourist office.

Ski instructors show on Monday Night 8:30pm - Nursery slope area.

O'malleys bar attached to the Ellmau - only non-smoking bar in Ellmau - was handy and they were happy for the kids to be there - has a large screen TV which seemed to be permanatly switched to one or other sports channel.

If anyone has any specific questions let me know and I'll try to answer.
Zwee
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy