Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seefeld

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am off to Seefeld on 31st Jan, and was hoping to get more information about the resort and skiing there?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Good Ski Guide used to say in its 'Good for, bad for' introduction to Seefeld 'Bad for: ..., downhill skiing, ... '. Now it doesn't list it in the main section at all, SFAIK. Not that the Good Ski Guide is the font of all knowledge. Sounds as if it might be pretty limited, but I gather that it's a very attractive place, with horse drawn sleighs and so on, and a fair amount of langlaufing going on.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seefeld is a fine ski resort, particularly for beginners and intermediate skiers, very picturesque. There aren't that many challenging pistes for experts. There are two (main) areas, which are not linked. The Gschwandtkopf offers blue and red pistes. There are some more challenging runs on the Rosshütte side, reached by a mountain railway. Strangely, most of the ski maps for Seefeld which I found on the Internet show rather the langlauf loipe. Maybe it isn't so strange, for Seefeld is a great centre for cross-country (the Nordic Combination World Cup -cross-country and ski jumping- is on there on 7th-8th February). The best map I've found for alpine pistes was on the Inghams site, http://www.inghams.co.uk/scripts/display/static.pl?template=600.html&staticPage=/ski/piste_maps/SEE_piste.html&brochure=ski.

If Seefeld itself is too restrictive, you could buy a 'Happy Ski Card' which also includes Garmisch and places even further afield (e.g. Lermoos). That would mean a bit of travel (I have done a day in Seefeld from Garmisch with a car).

There are plenty of other activities around Seefeld. As well as langlauf, things like skating, etc. And Innsbruck is nearby, if you want a day off the slopes.

Enjoy your holiday!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When we go to Garmisch, my girlfriend cross country skis in Seefeld while I downhill ski in Lermoos, Garmisch and Mittenwald. She say the cross country is about the best there is in the Alps.

The answer to your question really depends totally on what you're looking for, how long you'll be there, and what sort of transportation you'll have.

By train, Mittenwald is about 15 minutes away and offers a 7 km off-piste route using the Karwendelbahn cable car. In good conditions, it's glorious.

Garmisch is about 45 minutes by train. The main "Classic" ski area is fine for a day. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's incredibly scenic, the huts are great, and the main runs down to the valley are fantastic (Kandahar WC downhill). But it's low, so the snow is often bad, and the infrastructure doesn't seem to have been updated much since the 1932 Olympics (OK, they have recently done some improvements, but it is still frustrating to get around).

Getting to the Zugspitze glacier and Lermoos by train from Seefeld is probably not worth the effort from Seefeld, but if you have a car it is worthwhile. Lermoos is in my opinion the best skiing in the area. The Zugspitze I've found somewhat underwhelming, to be honest.

All those areas are covered on the Happy Ski Card that espri mentions.

I believe Kühtai is also not a very long drive from Seefeld.

Hope that helps, even though there is nothing here about downhill skiing in Seefeld itself.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ami in berlin wrote:
By train, Mittenwald is about 15 minutes away and offers a 7 km off-piste route using the Karwendelbahn cable car. In good conditions, it's glorious.

This is the Dammkar, a classic free-ride, unprepared area in Germany. You can see some pictures at http://fa.utfs.org/mountains/dammkar/index.html and http://alpspitze.al.funpic.de/tripreports/dammkar_feb_05/dammkar.htm. The latter includes a report and there is a further report (in German) at http://www.welt.de/muenchen/article1504602/Der_Himmel_der_Skifahrer_heisst_Dammkar.html. You would have to be equipped for proper mountain skiing.

Quote:
I believe Kühtai is also not a very long drive from Seefeld.

It's about 38kms, I think. On that basis the Innsbruck ski areas are even nearer, and probably easier to reach with public transport.

However, unless you're someone who needs continual variety and lots of kms, I think you'll find Seefeld itself fine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all of the advice.

I am going with a group of beginners who are all in ski school, which i hear is fantastic. But that means i am going to be skiing most of the day on my own but meeting up later with the group, so really don't want to travel too far. Sounds like it should be okay though.

Espri i know what you mean about trying to find a piste map, i have had trouble also.

Just need some snow now! Very Happy

Thanks again all.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy