Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

David Vine Dies

Poster: A snowHead
Just announced on the BBC News that David Vine has died of a heart attack.

For the younger people on this forum David Vine was the original presenter on Ski Sunday.

Despite not being a skier he was a very good ski racing commentator. One of his classic commentaries was that of Franz Klammer winning the Mens Downhill in Kitzbuhel in 1976 Olympics. I'm sure the beeb will show that in tribute to him.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RIP... he had one of those voices that belong with a sport. like Murray Walker is associated to F1, Vine is to Ski racing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is very sad news. I met him a number of times, once in Val d'Isere when he was in his last year of Ski Sunday. A very engaging and fascinating bloke and still unsurpassed in terms of ski commentary... despite openly admitting he couldn't ski. It was rumoured that ESPN Classic (channel 442) was going to re-run old Ski Sundays... I really hope they do now so we can revisit Vine's classic broadcasts.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski Sunday hasn't been the same since he left. As shoogly says - he has a voice for sport.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
welshflyer wrote:
One of his classic commentaries was that of Franz Klammer winning the Mens Downhill in Kitzbuhel in 1976 Olympics. I'm sure the beeb will show that in tribute to him.
I'm not sure it was him - got a feeling it was Coleman or Reg Someoneorother. Anyone know? The first Ski Sunday was in 1978.

For me his best moment was the Konrad Bartelski 2nd in Val Gardena.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Vine was the voice of TV skiing and of course the CandA Fashion show at the Ski show for a couple of years Very Happy
Although I didn't realise that he was 73!
RIP
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller wrote:

"And the union jack came down the hill like a rocket"

Brilliant. RIP.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/7824275.stm
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller,

I stand corrected on the 1976 Oympics commentary. I agree with you that he was a best ski racing commentator.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
His voice had the ability to make you stop what you were doing and go and watch whatever program he was hosting or commentating on. As a young child in the 70's, I would say David Vine probably is the reasons I love everything connected to sport. RIP Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Loads of great memories from my yoof .. his emotion when Bartelski ( himself emotionally 'high' ) surpassed all expectations was absolutely classic.

RIP
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
telford_mike wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

"And the union jack came down the hill like a rocket"

Brilliant. RIP.

My memory may be playing tricks, but I recall from the Val Gardena downhill the David Vine got very excited as he was doing his commentary on the second half of Bartelski's run. In those days, only the start and the second half were televised, so DV starts of by reporting that Bartelski was fastest at the first check point. He added a word of caution that it was a long course, and a lot could happen.

The TV then showed Bartelski go through the second check point still in first place, and uttered the immortal words "We've had some surprises this season, but this one would out-do everything."
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am sad to hear of his death, however he was never one of my favourite commentators. For me he belonged to an era when a number of BBC commentators tried to hype up what was happening, even if the performances of the participants were well below par and I am not just thinking about skiing. I feel that commentary has become a lot more honest more recently.

However we do have David Vine to thank for the following classic taken from Private Eye's Colmanballs, when in a race following Bartelski's second place when expectation remained high, he intoned slowly with all the gravitas he could muster as Bartelski crouched in the starting gate:

"And it's Konrad Bartelski - the man with the union jack on his helmet."

Now that's what I call patriotic.

R.I.P.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very sad. Like Bill McLaren for the rugby, his excellence came from his enthusiasm and character first and foremost. IMO many of the vast array of "expert" former players in sports commentary today could learn a lot from his generation. I worked wth his son for a couple of years in the early 90s - a chip off the old block without a doubt, especially down to the Oxfordshire burr and enormous sense of fun. And the stories...

RIP
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller wrote:
welshflyer wrote:
One of his classic commentaries was that of Franz Klammer winning the Mens Downhill in Kitzbuhel in 1976 Olympics. I'm sure the beeb will show that in tribute to him.
I'm not sure it was him - got a feeling it was Coleman or Reg Someoneorother. Anyone know? The first Ski Sunday was in 1978.

1976 Downhill commentator (Innsbruck) was Ron Pickering.

David Vine was great on Ski Sunday, this is a sad day for wintersports. I hope the BBC give us the chance to see and hear him again one last time.
snow report
chrisdavis wrote:
1976 Downhill commentator (Innsbruck) was Ron Pickering
So it was. Thanks for tidying that one up (Reg was close-ish). Back then you used to also get skiing on World of Sport ITV (Dickie Davies' badger-look and all that). Their commentator was called Reg I think.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
chrisdavis wrote:
1976 Downhill commentator (Innsbruck) was Ron Pickering
So it was. Thanks for tidying that one up (Reg was close-ish). Back then you used to also get skiing on World of Sport ITV (Dickie Davies' badger-look and all that). Their commentator was called Reg I think.

There was a Reg Gutteridge who did ITV boxing, perhaps he did some skiing too??

I miss the 1970's, with the exception of Ronnie Radford's goal Mad .
snow report
RIP David Vine, an essential part of my UK generation's skiing experience and inspiration.
ski holidays
David Vine - He was SKi Sunday. A sorry loss.
snow report
It sad to see that hear that he has gone - I would never have suspected he was 73 tough. Is it my imagination or did he do some of the childrens sports programmes in the 70's and possibly early 80's too?
snow conditions
Yup, was sorry to hear. Sad news.
And sorry if it's flippant in this case but I suppose shows his fame to a certain generation, I have got a grape vine in a pot at the front of the house, which when it was bought for me I said "I'll call it David" (Honest)
Sad
snow report
Sad
ski holidays
Well all i remember is him and G Bell doing a commenterary on a skier called Win Jack Pi who was i think a Korean skier. He took so long to get down the run that David Vine and Grahame Bell were crying with laughter during the commentary and stating " You could time this run by the church clock", a classic ski sunday moment. As a result my ski buddies call me Win Jack!!!!!

If i could get a copy !!!!!

RIP David Vine.

You started my passion for skiiing Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
I often wonder whether the BBC still have the footage of the old Ski Sundays. It was either Klammer & co in the downhill or the amazing Ingmar Stenmark in the slalom. I would give a lot for a DVD box set of David Vine Ski Sunday episodes.
snow report
Timbobaggins wrote:
Well all i remember is him and G Bell doing a commenterary on a skier called Win Jack Pi who was i think a Korean skier. He took so long to get down the run that David Vine and Grahame Bell were crying with laughter during the commentary and stating " You could time this run by the church clock", a classic ski sunday moment. As a result my ski buddies call me Win Jack!!!!!

RIP David Vine.

You started my passion for skiiing Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

That was Matt Chilton and GB. Don't think Mr Vine would have cracked up.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 12-01-09 23:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
telford_mike, they exist and ESPN Classic (channel 442) are rumoured to be in negotiation to run them. Fingers crossed.
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Timbobaggins wrote:

RIP David Vine.

That was Matt Chilton and GB. Don't think my Vine would have cracked up.

Blloxcks got it wrong, would like a copy though. Is it on U Tube
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
Is it my imagination or did he do some of the childrens sports programmes in the 70's and possibly early 80's too?

We are the champions. I can remember pretty much everything from the 70's......but where the hell did I put my car keys tonight??

....or was that Ron Pickering aswell??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:
telford_mike, they exist and ESPN Classic (channel 442) are rumoured to be in negotiation to run them. Fingers crossed.

Everything crossed!
ski holidays
Just put the phone down to a mate of mine in Australia. He hasn't called for about 6 months but chose tonight because he'd just heard about David Vine (he didn't know him personally). Just another skier who got their big fix of skiing every sunday listening to him and who now feels strangely shocked that he's gone. Funny that, a guy we haven't seen on TV for nearly a decade and he's missed.

He reminded me about something Vine used to say... when a downhiller landed from a jump, he used to say: "slaps the skis in hard"... well, ok, skis make a slapping noise when they touch down but the phrase is pretty meaningless. To most of his audience though (most weren't skiers) it sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

telford_mike, steady on fella.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
To most of his audience though (most weren't skiers) it sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

And that's the point exactly. I know nothing about football, but I enjoy watching a good game on the telly. It would be dull however without a good commentator. Vine was the Motty of skiing!
snow report
LEGEND.
latest report
Sad loss. Before internet Ski Sunday was the only access I had to see the snowy alpine slopes and was a must see every week
snow report
David Vine livened up what could often be a dull sport to watch on the tv. In that sense he used his passion for sport to transcend those less than stimulating moments. When I watched a lot of Ski Sunday, I used to love his references to Michael Mair as the 'big Italian', Alberto Tomba as the 'disco dancing, pasta loving' world champion and the like. His commentaries from the 1987 Alpine World Championshops at Crans Montana are legendary, especially with the duels between Zubriggen and Mueller, Walliser and Figini. Quite how he would've reacted had he commentated on Baxter's bronze is anyone's guess but I suspect going into orbit might be applicable!
ski holidays
a sad sad loss, the man was a legend
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy