Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie question alert about equipment

Poster: A snowHead
We have just booked our first ski holiday for next winter. As a total Newbie I was hoping that the learned members of this forum could offer some advice on what equipment/clothing we should take with us. Embarassed

Is it possible to hire clothes, jackets, gloves etc. in resort or should we buy our own and take them?
What will we need and how much should we expect to pay for new equipment?

Please do not shoot me down for such a generic question but I am at the bottom of the learning curve. I may be new but I do not want to arrive in France looking like a goon and standing out as the village idiot. Very Happy

Thanks in advance,
Mike.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mike-H, There's a great piece here that Masque has written - have a read to get you started!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent starting point. Thank you. Jeez I've got a lot to learn Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike-H wrote:
I may be new but I do not want to arrive in France looking like a goon and standing out as the village idiot. Very Happy

You've answered your own question here Mike by use of the word "France", ergo inferring to "Ze French". It is nigh-on impossible that you will look like a goon and if you do - then you are amongst friends! wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome and good luck with your new skiing obsession Very Happy

Where have you chosen to go on your first trip?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

You've answered your own question here Mike by use of the word "France", ergo inferring to "Ze French". It is nigh-on impossible that you will look like a goon and if you do - then you are amongst friends!

Had not thought of that.

I'll fit in like a dream.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Plagne - France. Took a lot of research, in part on this forum, as we are two families with infants.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can hire in some resorts, but i would have thought it would be much more cost effective (and a whole lot less hassle) to buy in the UK. A trip to TK Maxx and/or Decathlon will have 2 of you fitted out with the basics (jacket, trousers, gloves and socks) for under £150 for both. Hats, base layers and other such thing you will likely have in some form anyway.

You also have the advantage that when you realise what fun it is (note i said when, not if snowHead ) you will already have the stuff. You'll also find most things can be used away from skiing.

Edit, Just seen you have kids also, they can be kitted out for very little in the 2 shop mentioned, just make sure there extremities are well covered and the gloves are attached to them in some way, they have a habit of going missed!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
get spare mittens/gloves for the kids. Even if they don't go missing, they'll get saturated (even if they say they're waterproof). Another thought - there are often good kids ski things in charity shops. By the way, in many years of skiing in France I've never noticed any clothing for rent, though you can rent in the UK (eg in Filarinskis in Havant, Hampshire). Have fun! snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike-H, welcome to snowHead . it may be worth waiting til the end of the season to buy your stuff if you're not going until next season. that way you'll save even more at the stores mentioned. i know decathlon start reducing their wintersports clothing prices from around late march/easter. if you know what you want (i didn't suggest you don't window-shop wink ) keep an eye on it until it gets reduced, then get it. unless you're an unusual size, in which case buy the first stuff that fits!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike-H, Since you are not going until next winter, it is also (i.e. in addition to TKMax and Decathlon) worth looking out for Aldi, Lidl and Tschibo ski weeks. Their stuff is all cheap, and will do you for a few trips, but they only ever have it in for one or two weeks at a time.

Matalan are another who have some cheap ski wear in for most of the winter.

Or look in your nearest outlet centre in the Tog24 or Trespass shops, particularly towards the end of the current season (i.e. around March - April).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It may be a long way off but I am so tempted to start buying stuff. I will, however, wait as advised for sales in March/April. Then i will go crazy. Thanks to all for the advice. This forum has some great members.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Might be worth looking here -

http://www.skiwear4less.com/index.html

we have had bargains from them in the past. also, if you are near one of the retail outlets they usually have gear that doesnt feature on the web site. Might be worth a gander...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike-H,

Aldi has ski stuff in at the moment (which is more than adequate IMO), if your really deperate to spend some of your hard earned wink .
I wouldn't spend a fortune on gear just in case you turn out to be very odd and don't become instantly addicted Laughing Laughing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have had a go (2 hour lesson) at snowboarding on an indoor snow dome and that was great. I think I am going to love it! Probably ski this time though.

Next stupid question. Why are some trousers for skiing and some for snowboarding, but then some are for both?
ski holidays
Mike-H, 'cos we boarders need room for our enormous cojones . . .

usually caused via violent impact with bits of the local furniture or scenery
latest report
Mike-H, As a skier I wear boarding trousers as they seem to allow for more movement... plus padded shorts for the park.
snow conditions
So any trews as long as they are comfy Smile I'll keep my eyes open for a bargain towards the end of the season.
ski holidays
Mike-H, for the kids, ask your mates who ski with slightly older kids for hand me downs. There are bits of kids' ski kit circulating which have done 15+years of service, several weeks each year, and if not as good as new, are fine for kids for a week or two. We've just passed on a couple of pairs of trousers and a jacket, and I imagine that they'll be seen on the slopes for years to come.
latest report
Mike-H, i've just received an email from decathlon that some of their snow stuff is reduced by up to 50%. worth a look?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy