Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs - Which Runs ??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Off to Les Arcs first week in Feb , I ski and the boyfriend boards ....

I have been taking skiing lessons on a local dry slope so want to start the week off on some nice gentle blues progressing to some reds halfway through the week.
As you can tell I am pretty new to all this but totally hooked Smile

Can anyone recommend some great blue and red pistes that are both skiier and boarder friendly ?? I don't want the other half spending the first few days skating or walking his board whilst muttering under his breath Laughing

Any help / recommendations greatly received

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bobblehat, Welcome. Simple first question, what part of Les Arcs are you staying?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
depends on which bit of the resort you are stsying in really... in 1800 start on the chantel lift and do the obvious blue back towards resort, then also try the trans-arc mid-station and the vagere all of which offer blue runs back to resort.

In Peisey-Vallandry then take a lift up and head across to '66' or 2300 lift which is then middle of the open 'area' above the tree line, and do this until you are board with it. Then coming off the top of the vallandry lift turn left and head down the blue, and take a skiers right turn blue (liasion renard) and this will drop you onto the renard blue whch then links into the derby lift which offers a choice of blues reds back to the bottom of the derby (and a 'black' if you're upto it)

In 2000 then it's a bit harder but look for the marmottes lift and head down to that to start with and do some laps of that - there will be some walking bits if you are returning to 2000, which may require walking for the inexperienced boarder. Once you've progressed a bit then you can go up Arcabule lift (turn right coming of marmottes) and this will allow you to take some blues back down towards the bottom of that lift (not some danger of the BF walking on these blues however!)

Not sure about 1600, not really looked hard at the entry / improver runs in that section myself.

Enjoy, but let us know which bit of resort you're going to and you'll get some more sepecific replies
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hiya

many thanks for your reply and help Smile

We are staying in 2000, probably not the best resort for a beginner but Club Med had too good a deal to turn down Smile

Think the blacks maybe saved for the last afternoon !! LOL
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As Bertie Bassett says do Marmotes, then take the chair back up and go over to the Plagnettes chair, at the top go left down Plan Des Eaux nice easy blue gets a bit flat towards the end, boarders need to get some speed, go back up the same chair, left again but down Col de La chal ( its a bit flat in places) and then you can take the Vallee de L'arc or arandellers, both nice blues from the Plagnettes chair you can also go right down Plan Vert and Edelweiss are good for getting back into 2000, you land up at the bottom of the Marmottes chair which brings you back to 2000. There a plenty of blues to keep you going, you can get over to 1800 quite easily on blues as well. If you fancy a red try Teppes it is wide, if you want moguls then Tuffes, only joking!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thats really helpful thanks alot Smile

We will definately try some of those suggestions - and I love the sound of a nice wide red so Teppes it will be.

Mmmm moguls now they are something I def want to avoid for the time being ... Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bobblehat,

As you are going with Club Med, you probably have lessons, with ESF, included.

Although, this would separate skier and boarder, you could do something like take the lessons in the mornings and ski/board together in the afternoon. This would allow you to progress at your own level while still being together in the afternoon - It'll get you used to the local lifts/runs etc and hopefully make sure you don't run before you can walk!

Skitrack
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On a similar note...

In Feb (middle of French half term) I am staying at Joannes' Mountainsun place at Les Coche/Montchavin and am wondering whether to get a La Plagne pass or get a Paradiski pass and use the Les Arcs cable car to ski there. We are there for 3 days and its 2 skiers, 2 boarders all of a reasonable standard.

Advice welcomed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bobblehat, if you've just had a few lessons on a dry slope you'll be a pretty exceptional learner if you can sensibly tackle red runs. If the BF is an experienced boarder you'd be better off having lessons in the mornings, then persuading him to find you some nice gentle green and blue runs for the afternoons.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi All

Thanks for your help and comments its really appreciated Smile

I took a beginners class at the dry slope in August and have been on open practise twice a week since then . I am more or less parrell turning.
The instructors say that the slope is the same gradient as an average red but not too sure how correct this is LOL .

Club Med do lay on classes with ESF and are included free in the cost of the holiday ... except had lessons with them before and to be honest wasn't that impressed with them at all. Believe me I have done some pretty nasty injuries to myself so don't intend to do anything reckless - and being a girlie I'm not that gun ho LOL
Maybe I will join the class for the first morning and see what the instruction is like and decide from there ??
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cascades blue - down from 2000 - super smooth and always popular with beginners in my groups.

your instructors - they lie...start with blues! ESF are just variable - try it, i've had great lessons in the past (awful ones too admittedly, but as it is free you might as well!)

aj xx
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers a.j

I thought they may be saying it is red when its really a blue Laughing

Will definately try cascades - smooth is good for the beginning of the week !!
Is that run ok for a boarder of will Mr Bobblehat be walking / skating for the majority of it ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
from memory it's fine for a boarder although not rocket exciting - don't overshoot the end though - it's very flat past the pre st esprit lift to the comborcieres one!

When you make it over to 1800 charmetogger is also a great run, like a fairground ride - all big swoopy bumps, but no traffic and nice and wide as is mont blanc down to 1600. The ones off the st jaques lift I also remember being really good for getting confidence and technique up. In general I find les arcs grading pretty reasonable and consistent so you should be fine. The only one I'd avoid is red malgovert - it;s narrow and can get a bit hairy. Back when I was a nervous ninny I found it terrifying!

If you search in the distant past you might find an old resort report from me with some other recommendations. You'll love Les Arcs I'm sure, it's one of my favourite places, especially for a mixed level group.

aj xx
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A.J you are star .... thanks a lot Smile

Mr Bobblehat will want to be getting used to his board again so maybe cascades would be the best bet for us both to start with.

I will definately be avoing red malgovert in that case... if I end up on it by mistake i will let know Toofy Grin

Roll on the 31st - i can;t wait to go now

x
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have just come back from club med in sestriere. The lessons were great - as was the food. Hope you enjoy.
ski holidays
bobblehat,

If they put you in too "high" a class, ask for a change of class - If you aren't happy with the instructor - ask for a change. It's not girly, it's only sensible!

ESF can be great, OK or poor.

Last year I hit lucky and knew within one hour that the instructor was one of the best I've been with. If you're going to Club Med Peissey-vallandry - try and get in Stephan's class (not the chief of mission - also called Stephan) if he's back there.

Skitrack
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy