Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SnowTrain (from Gare du Nord)

Poster: A snowHead
Travelling on the SnowTrain for the first time at the end of this month, as part of a group of 10, and am wondering if anyone has any tips on having the most comfortable, easiest journey possible that the leaflets/website don't tell you?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are a family of 4 also booked onto the Snow Train but not a little concerned after reading it is just a Party Fest. Is it appropriate for a family with 2 kids under 3 years old? We chose this as thought would be less hassle then a 4 hour transfer but now not so sure??
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
topcat, my top tips are to take:
- sleping shades;
- ear plugs or music player to listen to, preferably with noise cancelling headphones to help cancel out a lot of the ambient noise;
- a blanket or cover to sleep under (unless you are booked into a couchette, in which case you won't need one); and
- a hip flask of your favourite tipple to help you nod off.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks flowa. We have couchettes so hopefully won't need a blanket. Will look into getting a hip flask.

robertjblaikie, yes I have heard it is a Party train too. Hopefully you'll be sharing your compartment with some people who want to sleep!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robertjblaikie, don't fret - there is a parrty carriage in the middle of the train but aside from a few comings and goings down the corridors, my experience was that it was fairly restriced to that carriage. I actually got a fairly good night's rest.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think the snow train quite reaches hedonistic peaks it once did.
The truly radio-rental experience was to be had on the route that departed Calais.
Firstly it was usually cheaper than flying while the Eurostar/GDN combo is usually more expensive.
People got themselves dropped off at Dover, boarded the ferry, bought themselves 4 crates of beer each and began drinking.
On the other side they'd board the train and continue in the disco car. The Eurostar isn't really conducive to that sort of behaviour.

Anyway, I've told this story before but I think it's worth another airing.
One time I was on the Calais service and although I hadn't planned to stay up, there was soooo much beer around people were nigh on begging anyone who didn't have their own crate to help dispose of theirs. About 3 AM the disco car had thinned out a bit. We were stopped in a station somewhere in the middle of France when a girl appeared through the door at the other end of the carriage. She announced to the remaining casualties, "I've had it, I've had enough, I'm going!". When she turned round, she had her bag on her bag and she promptly disembarked the train. A guy sitting at the opposite end of the disco car, proved to be her boyfriend. He jumped up and chased after her, leaving the train too. A couple of minutes later another guy came in from somewhere and other members of his group of friends explained what had just occurred.
"Oh no they haven't have they?" He clearly felt some responsibility toward them and hurried off (the train) to look for them. Now, bear in mind this is the SnowTrain he's just exited... in shorts and a T-shirt Shocked
He passed through the subway under the other tracks and we could see him standing on the pavement outside the station looking up and down for his friends, when the train began to move. People cried out a warning to him and he turned on his heals, rushed in, glanced at the subway, "No chance I'll make it through there in time" and chanced running across the tracks.
Well he made it to the train before it had built up too much speed but the automatic doors had already shut and he couldn't get them open. His friends called him toward the open window and about 3 of them were hauling him in when a couple of station guards who had seen him run across the tracks caught up and 'tug-o-war' began with him as the rope. Well the guards had gravity on their side so it was an easy win for them but showing remarkable presence of mind one of his mates, the battle lost, spun round, grabbed a camera, leant out the window and snapped their mate being carted off! Laughing

The following morning, I picked my way down through the detritus to the disco car whose bar was now serving coffee and croissants. The whole train was abuzz with tails of the night before, in particular the story one rep has picked up and is duly repeating about the guy who 'got into a fight and was hauled off by the gendarmes'. Naturally I put her right with the above details and she duly returned the compliment by filling me in with the last chapter on the return journey. Apparently 'She' had never wanted to come skiing in the first place and had gone home with her boyfriend (sans luggage) - surely a divorcable offence? Mr. T-shirt and shorts had somehow managed to avoid arrest/ lengthy detention at the pleasure of the SNCF and got a later train down to Bourg St Maurice.

Then there was the time...

Wink

Honestly though, how disturbed you are will depend a bit upon how near you are to the disco car - for example, I wouldn't want to be trying to sleep in the cabin next to the nearest toilet to the disco. It also depends on the particular groups on that train. You get some who are determined to party hard all the way and would appear to have little intention of skiing all week, let alone on the first day! Though sometimes the whole thing is virtually dead by soon after midnight.

On the whole, I tend to recommend using the French sleeper train out of Gar d'Austerlitz if you have kids in tow. Yes it involves 9 stops on the metro from GdN to G d'A but it's generally a very peaceful service used by French families to sleep on!

The kids always love it though snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are better ways to travel than the snow train, IMV if you are hoping to sleep.

It would be better if you can pick the content of your couchettes and have convivial peeps in it. The coming and goings down the corridors can wear a bit thin if you are a light sleeper and it helps massively if you can drop off anyway/anytime.

Or..you can say..what the hell, lets party, we are on holiday etc etc... but then you'll sacrifice the next ski day for that..
which might be the reason you went via train in the 1st place..ie, to get 8 days skiing.

I like the train, would go overnight but the Snow train would not be my first option at all.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The SnowTrain is my favorite way of getting to the French Alps. It helps if you are in a party of like-minded people that is a multiple of 6! Our gang often used to travel to Paris early on the Eurostar, wander off into the town to find a restaurant for dinner then back onto the Snowtrain and fairly soon off to bed in our couchette. Getting to window the right balance between freezing draught and fuggy sauna was our greatest concern. The best bit, of course, is arriving at the resort very early on the Saturday morning - bright eyed and bushy tailed and often before the previous guests were up - and asking where to dump our bags and get changed for skiing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Guys, think we may give the Snow Train a miss but looking into Eurostar all the way - I know you don't get a couchette but pretty quick - any of you had experience of this one?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
topcat, My top tip. FLY, DRIVE or WALK but whatever you do, DON'T TAKE THE OVERNIGHT TRAIN. Madeye-Smiley

From last years EOSB Thread:

Axsman wrote:

I think Swirly hit the nail with "there's no bloody way I'm ever getting on that train again". the full story is that after the 2 hour easyjet delay, the resulting panic stricken dash across Paris in the fastest taxi in Europe, the mad bolt across the platform of the gare du Nord, and catching the bloody train with NO seconds to spare, collapsing in a heap and getting completely bladdered in SkiSimon's coach SEEMED like a good idea.

When I did eventually stagger back to my own compartment, pi$$ed as a f@rt, around 2.00 am, I fell over the French occupants baggage (landing on Msr French Family), and then collapsed onto my bunk in a heap. The snoring started about 15 seconds later and was loud enough to wake ME up, let alone the other occupants, but it didn't need to because for the next two hours a disgruntled Msr kept shaking my shoulder every 5 minutes and muttering something french to the effect of 'stop ze bloody snoring you eeenglish warthog'.

By about 4.00 I gave up on the whole sleeping idea and dragged mes baggages and weary ass to the bike car which was empty, cold, and very brightly lit.

Keeping up with Frosty et al would have been hard enough the next day without the mother of all hangovers and no sleep.

So no, I think I'll give the train a miss in future.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Axsman wrote:
DON'T TAKE THE OVERNIGHT TRAIN

Now, looking at the detail - it would appear the primary reason for not taking the train is, the risk of what might happen were axsman in your couchette. However, since the very same reason has resulted in Axsman declaring that he'll never take the train again, the whole thing disappears in a puff of logic Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
robertjblaikie,

we tend to take Eurostar to Paris, then change (even with kids) to Gare de Lyon. 3 stops on the RER and get the SNCF down to Bourg. Doing it this year in a party of 9, £180 return each - cheaper than Eurostar all the way, with slight inconvenience of a change in Paris.

Or if you do want to couchette overnight, change to Gare d'Austerlitz. 6 berth 2nd class, 4 berth 1st class couchettes. Am told by those who have done that, very good (despite Axman and crew above!) OTOH, don't get an SNCF without couchettes over night, a right royal PITA.

When we used to go by snowtrain, which we did at least twice as adults, and three times when in schools group, it was called the Vomit Comet, and for a reason.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
robertjblaikie, now you are talking...best way to travel to the alpes, IMV..but then I live 10 mins from a Eur0star station and can be 2 hrs from Paris.

It wouldn't be so very hard to get £120 return from say, Ashford-Bourg, with a change at Paris... I normally get a cab across but the train is fine. Allow over an hour for the crossing if you don't know what you are doing..once you have done it once or twice... 25mins.

For £150..with a bit of careful searching I would expect a leg to be 1st class travel... and I'd probaly opt for the Eur0star leg as they feed you then...
FWIW, I think the TGV is better than the Eu0star leg.... just seems more relaxed, IMV... Puzzled

If you want someone to get you a price, these people always impress me.. they are rail-canterbury...so google them if you want
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin, Can't fault your reasoning. Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the advice/stories!! In some ways I'm sorry we're not doing the journey the old way by going from Calais Very Happy

Axsman, we're going by Eurostar from London straight to Gare du Nord so won't have the same experience as you with the flights and getting across Paris. We booked the whole thing through Rail Europe. We didn't know about the other trains then but may look into them in the future. We'll see how this goes first!!!

We have 2 compartments between us as a 6 and a 4 so hopefully the other 2 we get sharing with the 4 will want a bit of sleep too. As Axman has vowed never to take the train again then we should be safe!! Laughing
ski holidays
topcat wrote:
'''
We have 2 compartments between us as a 6 and a 4 so hopefully the other 2 we get sharing with the 4 will want a bit of sleep too. As Axman has vowed never to take the train again then we should be safe!! Laughing

I've had a change of heart.... be afraid, be very afraid Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy