Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR Areches-Beaufort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Here's a few piccies from a day out in Areches yesterday for a mate's birthday. More blurb & pics at http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.com...

Hiking in the Combettes area:

Soft snow & good views:

Combe Nord du Grand Mont:

Skinning up the Grand Mont:

The obligatory summit photo:

Nice soft snow & noone else about:

Spot the skiers:

Happy days...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice. The Grand Mont is probably my favourite ever off-piste run. Was lucky enough to do it in 2ft of untracked fresh a couple of years ago.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like Areches-Beaufort. I'm not up to much of the off-piste stuff (which is evidently one of its strongest points) but it's fun for a day's piste skiing too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup, Areches must be one of the best (and most under-rated) off-piste areas in France. Pistes are pretty decent as well.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stevomcd, Yup, can see how doing that in 2 ft of fresh might leave an impression!!

<hijack> how's the N Face of Foglietta looking? </hijack>
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh and the crepes in the cafe opposite the lifts in Planay are to die for (and very cheap)...
Says alot about a place I think...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was up the top of Fogliettaz yesterday. Loads of snow on the north face, but wind affected in many places. Hardly any tracks. I reckon you could pick a line down and get some very nice turns in.

We rode back down the other face towards the resort (via the couloir next to the couloir Frank, above the top of the Marquise chair). On a board, it was great. Heavy, but soft, powder. The odd patch of crust, but not much. My mate on skis wasn't impressed though.

I actually got engaged below the Grand Mont! On the col de la Forclaz, with the sun going down on a blue-sky powder day... t'was nice... Blush
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How would Areches be for a long weekend Sat->Tues skiing?

Is a guide advisable or can you work out the lines yourself (safety obviously being considered...)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, hmm, might feel a bit small after a couple of days. Plenty of options for lift-accessed off-piste, with quite a few variants to go at.. definitely worth having touring set-up + the IGN top 25 for the area (3532OT) if you're happy to explore.. As long as you have good vis you can pretty much figure out whats readily available..
Also just up the road from Areches is Hauteluce/Val Joly (ie link into Contamines) and also Les Saisies isn't that far...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There was a guy killed in an avalanches in A-B on opening day:

http://www.ledauphine.com/avalanche-la-journee-d-ouverture-endeuillee-a-ar-ches-beaufort-un-savoyard-de-25-ans-emporte-en-hors-piste-@/index.jspz?article=79020
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Yeah, was talking to some locals about that. Seems he was in a very silly place (known black-spot).

kitenski, Areches would be great (Sainte Foy would be better though! wink ). Plenty of in-bounds stuff to hit (more on the Areches side than the Planay side IMO), plenty of side-country and plenty of backcountry touring! Pretty easy to find stuff (safety permitting, of course). My personal favourite for a low-effort trip is to climb above the Forclaz tow to the ridge-line, head left to the Col de la Forclaz proper, then drop over the far-side from there. Head round to the left and you can eventually come back to the Rognoux tow via some great little bowls and gullies. Very important to stay as high as possible once you "turn the corner". Get too low and it's either a miserable steep hike back or ride down and cross the Saint-Guerin dam. I've done that with the nice, safe, 3ft high handrails. And a 4ft deep snowpack. 30m drop to the lake on your right, 100m drop to the base of the dam on your left. Nice. Especially wearing snowshoes with a board strapped to your back.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Inspired by this report, and by getting coupons for a lift pass for 13.50 on the back of a till receipt from Géant, we went to Areches-Beaufort today. Strictly on-piste though, and my illustration, less gnarly, is in the Arolles restaurant But I think it sums up the place pretty well wink Impressive new lifts on the Planay area. I was impressed too by their claim that all snow-making is done without electricity, using just water pressure (from the Roseland barrage). It was very cold - no wonder they have such a good snow record. Cosy in the restaurant, though. I saw more berets than helmets on the almost-deserted slopes. Dish of the day, green salad and desert less than 15 euros, and 75cl of house wine 9 euros. A stunning contrast to Meribel on Tuesday.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy