Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What edge angle should i use on my Scott Sheela's

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm not sure which angle i should use on my New Scott Sheela's.
I normal use an 87 degree angle on my slalom skis but not sure if i should make the sheela's 88 or 89 or even 87.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
87 for extra grip when you need it & no downside when you don't. You'll probably need to trim the sidewalls back first.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
woody911, link here ... http://scottusa.com/us_en/product/949/39085/sheela

... all skis in this series have side edges ground at 89° and base edges ground between 0.5° and 0.8°. The base is finished with a CNC stone grind to give it a micro structure. Precision base grinding and edge bevels are combined for exceptional performance.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon Thanks for that. I was thinking the same but wasn't certain
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm genuinely interested to learn something from this so please forgive the daft question but reading through the 'freestyle' definition for the ski, I don't understand the benefit of taking a compliant twin-tip ski and giving it racing angles ? Wouldn't that mess up the intent of the ski which is presumably designed to behave nicely in the park etc ? Wouldn't it be similar to taking stiff, heavy slalom skis, putting a dulled-off 89.5 degree angle on them and using them for snowploughing and side-slipping on the nursery slopes ? I'm not much of an experimenter with my quiver, but the last time I had an 87 degree angle was on my previous Rossi 9S's ... great for carving and ice-holding in Scotland's worst crap but I'd hate to rely on them for releasing their edges to do a 180 or whatever (even if I knew how to Laughing ).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
moffatross, I kinda guessed that OP wasn't interested in a park only set-up but yes for solely park use only I'd leave the edges alone & some might even detune them to avoid catching an edge on landing etc. On those skis I'd also be adding a tad extra base edge angle if they were to be a park only ski.

For all mountain use you never know when you need good edges until you need 'em & for real hardpack/ice then you need sharp edges on sharp angles. An 87 gives plenty of grip but is not so strong that it requires any more maintenance than a shallower angle. On soft snow days you won't be using the sharp edges but when you need 'em they're there.

I understand your "compliant" comment. However, it's the base edge angle not the side edge angle that determines how quickly/easily the edge engages, ie how much you need to tip the ski over. The side edge determines how much bite/grip the edge has once it has been enagaged so it does not have an affect how easy responsive/compliant the ski is to use.

In fact, if the OP's Scott's really do have a 0.5 to 0.8 base edge angle (many Scott's have a 1 degree base from new irrespective of what they claim it is) then that's quite a shallow angle which certainly would not help in the park, in fact it's an ideal base edge angle set-up for a race slalom ski.

BTW, Atomic ship all their skis with an 87 including all their powder skis & the majority of Fischer skis are shipped with an 87 also. Both have 1 degree base angles.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, thanks for that. Smile My rather nasty £20 sharpening tool doesn't really do the job on my 2 yr old apache recons (removes the rust though) so I paid for them to be sharpened for the sum of 9 Euros by a chap with a workshop full of expensive looking machines on the morning of day 2 in Serre Chevalier a couple of weeks back. I'm now deep into google links for edge & base angles with about ten windows open, many of them pointing back to old snowheads threads. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moffatross, http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/31/41/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.skiracing.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11_21
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks spyderjon, great website ... you look all over the internet and ignore the links in front of you Smile. LOL at all the tools woody911, here's my extensive, quality kit (the best value part of which was the Tesco value iron @ £5) and off-picture the black&decker style workbench from B&Q for £10. Didn't know you could buy ski brake retaining bands !! NehNeh

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moffatross,

You overpaid for your iron, £3.29 @ Argos!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
C'mon guys, get with the programme! I've ski holidays to pay for wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy