Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Massana during February half term

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Myself, wife and daughter are travelling to Vallnord for Feb half term. Daughter and I are reasonably confident intermediates, but wife is a timid intermediate so I believe resort should suit her very well.
Staying at the Magic Ski- does anyone have any experience of this hotel?
Also, we'll be getting into the resort pretty late on the Sunday night so won't be able to get ski passes and ski hire till Monday morning. I am worried about the huge queues for gear at this time- has anyone got any suggestions as to the nearest ski hire shop or one with the best selection of gear?
Many thanks, Greg
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads, gregoates, snowHead It's a good question you ask, sorry not to have any sensible information for you! However, I would imagine that queues on Monday would not be as bad as on Sunday, as most arrivals will be on Saturday. Who are you going with? It might be worth asking about ordering passes and equipment in advance if you're with a tour operator. In most French resorts you can order passes online - but I think that's Andorra, isn't it?

Someone with more info will probably be along soon.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Pam,
Thanks for your reply and welcome. Most arrivals into Andorra occur on the Sunday, and we are traveling via a small independent tour operator so there is no facility to arrange passes and equipment on the transfer as you can with crystal, neilson etc. I have tried to order the passes online, but it appears this isn't available- the Vallnord website just gives info regarding their cost.
I am worried that being at the back of the queues the only ski's that will be left will be older models or ones which have taken quite a hammering!
I hope I'm just being pessimistic.... Very Happy
Many thanks, Greg
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi some friends of ours stayed in La Massana two season ago. I'll give her a nudge and get her to reply. She's a sometimes snowHead . Are you there Zoe?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Greg

Don't worry, Sunday is the principal change-over day in Andorra, so all of the hire shops spend the day preparing returned gear for new arrivals' first day on the hill (Monday); the standard of living in Andorra is very high and the quality of rental skis/snowboards is therefore generally very good. There are a handful of fair-sized rental shops in La Massana, plus a couple up at the base lodge at the ski area at Pal; the Hotel Magic is only a short stroll from the gondola station, which zips you up to Pal, so you could travel up in normal footwear and get all your gear at the top; you can rent lockers up there too, saving you from having to lug your gear up and down on the gondola every day.

There's about half a dozen lift pass kiosks at the gondola base station, so queues move fairly quickly.

I haven't stayed in the Magic, but I've passed it often enough and it's part of a well-respected chain in Andorra; quality-/service-/position-wise I would say it's a good choice; likewise Vallnord for your family's level of experience. The ski area at Pal is one of the prettiest in the principality; linked by cable car with that of Arinsal, and with the separate great little ski station of Arcalis (a 30-minute bus ride away) included on the Vallnord pass.

Here's a link to an in-depth guide to Pal-Arinsal.

Best wishes for a great trip.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
just got back today from arinsal had a wonderful time.we travelled with first choice and hired our stuff from pic negre no idea about the cost as we were pre booked as part of the package but the gear and service was first class.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all,
Thanks so much for everyone's really good advice. This has helped a great deal and Snow Beard- the website link is brill! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We went to La Massana 2 years ago (the year there was no snow anywhere!) and had a great time despite the lack of snow! There were only a few runs open so the link to Arinsal was not open. The restuarants on the mountain are nothing to write home about - mainly/only greasy fast food - however not all were open.

We used the large-ish ski shop on the bend sort of opposite the Hotel Magic (The one with the Irish Bar) - can't remember what it was called. It was empty and plenty of equipment to choose from and helpful staff.

I would recommend getting a Valnord card before you go, via the Valnord website, as this does give you discount to various "restaurants" and other places both on and off the mountain in Andorra.

My OH and kids had an excellent instructor called Miguel - but I expect there's a lot called that but he was a large chap with a bald head!

Have a great time - the current level of snow and the forecasts look good! Smile

Zoe.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We went to La Massana 2 years ago (the year there was no snow anywhere!) and had a great time despite the lack of snow! There were only a few runs open so the link to Arinsal was not open. The restuarants on the mountain are nothing to write home about - mainly/only greasy fast food - however not all were open.

We used the large-ish ski shop on the bend sort of opposite the Hotel Magic (The one with the Irish Bar) - can't remember what it was called. It was empty and plenty of equipment to choose from and helpful staff.

I would recommend getting a Valnord card before you go, via the Valnord website, as this does give you discount to various "restaurants" and other places both on and off the mountain in Andorra.

My OH and kids had an excellent instructor called Miguel - but I expect there's a lot called that but he was a large chap with a bald head!

Have a great time - the current level of snow and the forecasts look good! Smile

Zoe.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cheers for all the helpful comments, I'll let you know how we got on. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy