Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

one ski wanders a bit when going straight

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, something I've noticed recently with my skiing, which I can't seem to work out the cause of, is that when I'm not putting pressure on my edges (so mainly when going dead straight) my right ski wobbles/wanders left and right . It sort of flicks left and right a bit, not enough to throw me off but enough to cause me some concern.

Anyway it can't be a loose binding because I swap my ski's over and its still only the right ski that does this.

I don't think its boots being loose because I tested with having my left boot completely undone and this didn't happen to the left ski.

So I'm thinking that its either a technique issue which is too subtle for me to pick up. Or its my right ski being at a slightly different angle to the slope then my left ski which is causing them to react differently. Not sure how I'd test for this though.

Do any of the snowheads have some idea's advice on this ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Speedster, That sounds kind of familiar. Even when I think I'm going straight apparently at my early stage I still lean on my ski edges (a left over from Snowploughing I think) unless I truely think about what I am doing and make a special effort to get both skis flat on the snow. Maybe you do the same and the problem is that your right ski leans its edge in more than the left? I think I get the same effect from time to time and have come to the conclusion that this must be what is happening. I haven't any idea how to cure it though so will watch this thread with interest.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 10-01-09 21:14; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My suspicion is that its potentially the right ski which is 100% flat on the surface whereas the left ski is ever so slightly on the edge when I'm going straight. Being slightly on the edge the left ski behaves itself whereas the right one has a flat contact area so there's nothing to stop it moving slightly from side to side.

I could be completely wrong because its does seem to be a very subtle thing but I guess a related question is... When going straight should your ski's be 100% flat or should the setup be such that they are slightly angled one way or the other ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Speedster, My noodle B2's were terrible at that. I also found that having play in my boots due to poor fit and packed out liners exacerbated the tendency for the tips to hunt.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Speedster, check the canting of your boots. You say it still occurs with your right leg even when you've swapped the skis over so you've ruled out any problem with the skis or bindings.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Speedster, Thanks for asking this, I have the same problem... but with my left ski. Quite noticeable on the pre-xmas trip and I put it down to tired legs but reading this, I'm not so sure. The last time I remember having this problem (considerably more exaggerated though) was the last time I hired skis and the hire shop insisted I should have 150's when previously I'd had 160's. A different hire shop told me that too short ski's would cause this problem and so I bought 159's and hadn't had the problem again until December. Not sure if this is at all relevant, but thought I'd mention it all the same Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Anyway it can't be a loose binding because I swap my ski's over and its still only the right ski that does this.

Swap the legs over?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, Laughing Great idea.... I'll have Cherie Lunghi's in that case... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sorry for my english.....anyway that problem depend probably on the fact that the ski is not flat......or it is flat but the edge are a bit highter than the soletta(I dont know in english....the flat part of the ski....) so normally it is enough put the ski in a machine for put edfge and the rest at the same level......pratically when you turn the ski is stable cause the edge......when is flat the ski is stable if a bit of egde touch the snow....if not the ski follow every imperfection of the snow.......
aniway it is not a problem of you but of your ski......bring it in a good shop.....and they will sort out for you.......
I hope you understand my english......I'm italian.....and write is very different than speak.....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maybe it's a tracking issue. Have you tried wearing your boots on the other feet? Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lungostyle, it's not the ski. As Speedster states it always affects only her right leg, no matter which of her skis she puts on that foot.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have the same problem - left ski itching to go into a (slight, but annoying) snowplough when schussing, especially at the end of the day. I put it down to two things:- Firstly boot set-up. I had boots properly fitted with decent footbeds and the cant checked at the beginning of this season, and this I think has gone some way to help things. Secondly I think it's physiological - my left leg (probably the hip) isn't so well aligned, and gets lazy as I get more tired. I haven't worked out what, if anything, I can do about that.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
noggy, When I get tired both my legs go to pot.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lungostyle, your posts are admirable; I wish I could write posts in Italian! snowHead snowHead Personally, I try not to do too much with flat skis. They're so much more stable on the edge. One of the ski instructors will probably be along soon to put us all right.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lungostyle, i guess soletta = base from your great description...
latest report
pam w, I'm with you lungostyle does very well writing in a language not his first about a technical topic...

I too prefer not to travel on flat skis too much... however part of my problem when on flat skis was bad alignment and part a "neglect" of the bad foot/leg on my behalf... the foot did not want to go straight naturally and I was not paying enough attention to keep it straight... Easiski helped me fix the second part.... I'm still working on the alignment issues but getting much closer after dealing with the podologue at Sidas (the folks that make the blank orthotics and systems that many bootfitters use... if you have Conformable then Sidas made them AFAIK)... I'd say they are VERY good if you have problem feet...
latest report
I think (and awaits being shot down) that the issue is with your balance and that you're applying uneven weight to your skis.

It sounds to me (and I'm no expert) that your weighting on your left ski is right in that it is behaving as it should so you weight is even across (left to right) and slightly heaving front to back whereas your weight on the right is possibly unbalanced across creating the weave and back to front.

Perhaps the solution is to focus on getting truly even balance on your skis or focus on getting more fore pressure on your right foot?

Not masses of pressure as it's only millimetres that make the difference but it might just bring it back into line.

Another suggestion is that it's an issue related to your technique but exagerated by the lenght/style of ski.......... but that side of things is voodoo magic to me.
snow conditions
Speedster, on straight flat piste with skis straight and parallel they should lie flat on the snow or slightly on the inside edges, if they aren't things get a bit hooky, I had exactly the same problem many years ago.
The very first thing and easiest to do is a diy check on the cuff adjustment of your boots. Take the liners out, put the footbeds into the shells and stand in them with boots clipped up in a normal stacked stance, there should be an even gap between lower leg and the cuff of the boot cuff all the way round. If its closer in any place, when the liner goes back in, the boot will get pushed over engaging the edge when you want to be flat. Trying to compensate for bad adjustment like this can really hold you back. I used to have to go into a racing crouch to schuss, if I tried standing up, my right ski would try to flick right and I'd fall. It also showed on the drag lifts where I couldn't run with skis parallel, fell off those a lot as well Crying or Very sad
A good boot fitter will sort this sort of problem out in no time.

Depending how you're put together it could require a bit more than just tweeking a screw on the side of the boot but there's loads that can be done with footbeds/canting/grinding, again see a boot fitter but be very picky.

Once you know you're set up right then you can start thinking about other aspects of your skiing, we're all a bit one sided and there are plenty of exercises that can sort technique and strength issues but if you're badly set up in the first place you're fighting a losing battle.
snow conditions
Spent the morning skiing now and considering most of what has been posted above. I'm starting to think it may be the canting on the right ski as the inside edge seems to be edging in ever so slightly, which then causes the weave (best word to describe the feeling). Making an effort to flatten the ski out by twisting my right foot out seems to stop the weave.

So anyway I walked into the ski shop asking for advice about canting and the grizzly old austrian dude said that if my ankles don't hurt then the canting is fine, no need to check. At which point I thought best to try work this one out without his help.
ski holidays
Speedster wrote:
........................the grizzly old austrian dude said that if my ankles don't hurt then the canting is fine, no need to check. At which point I thought best to try work this one out without his help.

at which point imo walk into the shop next door and find a shopkeeper who cares enough to spend some time and effort on you and your issue imo!!
snow report
Speedster, I had this myself & it's an alignment/boot balancing thing - which is more than simply the canting adjustment of the boot cuff. Do a search & you'll find plenty of info. Only place in the UK to get it sorted properly is at CEM's place in Bicester.
ski holidays
Speedster wrote:
Spent the morning skiing now and considering most of what has been posted above. I'm starting to think it may be the canting on the right ski as the inside edge seems to be edging in ever so slightly, which then causes the weave (best word to describe the feeling). Making an effort to flatten the ski out by twisting my right foot out seems to stop the weave.

So anyway I walked into the ski shop asking for advice about canting and the grizzly old austrian dude said that if my ankles don't hurt then the canting is fine, no need to check. At which point I thought best to try work this one out without his help.

Speedster, the grizzly old austrian dude may have thought you meant lateral boot cuff tilt (sometimes even called cant on these forums and on boot shells) instead of net roll plane angle of the boot soles when you have your legs "straight".

The irony of blaming old austrians for the sloppiness of english language useage gives me a few laughs indeed. Very Happy

Does this problem happen when you have your weight "evenly split" between the skis, or does it also happen when you lift the innocent leg off the ground? Any one-footed skiing exercises? Any strangeness when side stepping up the hill?

Notice that for the ski to hunt and wander like that there has to be some pressure on the shovels of the skis, is there any chance one foot is applying more pressure to the tips than the other?

I see marcellus was thinking along these lines as well.
snow report
I wondered if it is like right handedness - do you have a dominant leg? (I have a preference to hockey stop on a particular side). Would a dominant leg make even pressure difficult?
ski holidays
If I was viewing this on a pc rather then my blackberry I could probably answer all the questions asked above but I'll probably miss a few so apoligies for that:
- english language, I probably should give the guys benefit of the doubt although it was 8.15am he probably wanted me out the way asap as the ski rental queue was growing
- this left right flicking of the ski also happens when left leg is lifted, ie skiing on just the right leg
- I did the diy check with the liners out and the shell is almost touching the inside of my lower legs whilst there is plenty of gap on the outside... So assuming that's a valid check what would this imply ? That my inside edges are prone to digging in ?
- I think a trip up to CEM's in bicester might be a good idea, usually I leave my boots in my flat here in austria but this time they can join me on the ryanair flight back to london.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.
ski holidays
Speedster wrote:
If I was viewing this on a pc rather then my blackberry I could probably answer all the questions asked above but I'll probably miss a few so apoligies for that:
- english language, I probably should give the guys benefit of the doubt although it was 8.15am he probably wanted me out the way asap as the ski rental queue was growing

Ah.

Quote:

- this left right flicking of the ski also happens when left leg is lifted, ie skiing on just the right leg
- I did the diy check with the liners out and the shell is almost touching the inside of my lower legs whilst there is plenty of gap on the outside... So assuming that's a valid check what would this imply ? That my inside edges are prone to digging in ?

That or the shells are too wide (not trying to be funny).
ski holidays
I don't think the shell is to wide because on the slopes there's no lateral play in the calf area with these boots (tecnica diablo magma's). They're pretty snug fitting.
ski holidays
Speedster, the calf area (cuff) is one thing, that can be tightened separately from the lower foot area (clog).

If the cuff is tight and the clog is loose, would that not fit the symptoms as described so far?

Not saying that -is- the problem, but the possibility is still there imo.

You might, of course, have other information that would discount the notion.
snow conditions
Speedster, Shell too wide in the forefoot? Even if the heel or calf is snug it doesn't take much leverage to rattle your toes from side to side if there's a little slop around the ball of your foot .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque wrote:
Speedster, Shell too wide in the forefoot? Even if the heel or calf is snug it doesn't take much leverage to rattle your toes from side to side if there's a little slop around the ball of your foot .

One of the funny things about toes rattling from side to side is that there is often soreness on the outer part of the foot, making the shell feel too narrow when in fact the opposite is the case.
ski holidays
Speedster, I thought it would most likely be

noggy wrote:
I have the same problem - left ski itching to go into a (slight, but annoying) snowplough when schussing, especially at the end of the day. I put it down to ... gets lazy as I get more tired. ...

until I read
Quote:

latest report
check the canting of your boots in my opinion Very Happy
latest report
Speedster,

Are you absolutely sure there is nothing wrong with one of your skis?

I remember years ago I had been having difficulties such as you mention, but as we had been skiing in poor visibility for several days, I assumed that it was my lack of ability to cope with the conditions.

A bloke on a ski lift then pointed out to me that there apeared to be something wrong with one ski tip. Sure enough when I got off the lift and put the skis together, the front part of one ski was slightly bent upwards. The core construction of the ski had obviously been damaged in a a wipeout and I had not noticed. That was the end of that pair of skis.

So I would suggest that you first absolutely eliminate that kind of possibility, or else you may find yourself spending time and money on a solution to the wrong problem.
latest report
richjp, he swapped skis, the problem was on the same foot. Even when the other foot is lifted off the snow.
ski holidays
Just a thought, check the soles of your boots. You may have worn your right boot sole down unevenly and the toe binding isn't gripping it correctly.
latest report
SORRY......i WAS NOT UNDESTANDING......anyway that base have to be flat.....another problem can be or your position is a bit on the back with that feet.....in this way you have no wait so no power on that leg......if the tibs of the ski have no wait .....treble a lot.........
or one time happen to my client that he discover to have for few millimeter one leg shorter.....and that when we stand give more of the wait in one leg.....
anyway.....it is 40 years than I ski everyday of my life.......and for everybody......the wost compliments someone can give to another skier.......is ....."ski flat".....so don't worry about that we are not good skier cause we are able to put it on flat........but if we are good putting it on the edge.......without slide if is possible......ehehh
latest report
lungostyle wrote:

or one time happen to my client that he discover to have for few millimeter one leg shorter.....and that when we stand give more of the wait in one leg.....

It will be a biomechanics thing (he says airily like he knows what he is talking about). I have one leg longer than the other and the longer leg tends to rest on the outside edge. When i schuss, the longer-leg ski snakes. You need an expert to tell you what is the cause of your problem. You can do some of it yourself: look in a mirror, are you knock-kneed or bow legged, are both your legs the same length (they are not in a surprising number of people). Look at your shoes: is there uneven wear on the soles and heels? When I look at my shoes it is obvious that I am flat on the left but wearing the outside sole edge on the right. If you can stand on one of those devices that shows the pressure distribution of your soles, it also gives a clue.
latest report
penster, usually long leg roles in... short out...

but leg length discrepancy can be just "apparent"... ie may not be different length leg bones but maybe eg. hips not straight...

This is part of the reason the podiatrist at Sidas looked at me both lying and sitting... It helps assess these things(my physio explained it to me in one of our chats about my leg)
ski holidays
little tiger wrote:
maybe eg. hips not straight...

Speaking of compensation problems, ever notice how -hard- the muscles that go through that area are to train?
latest report
comprex, nah... physio stuff always seemed to work fine... what do you understand by "train"? I find my ankle is the trickiest area... probably because my ligaments are all crapped out...
ski holidays
little tiger, develop significant strength in, in comparison to muscles lower down the leg.

The strength to compensate for, for example, steering errors of an inside ski that is being bounced around in the yaw plane, or that is yanked backwards by snow irregularities when only partially weighted, say.

Ankle is tough, too. I remember it took me almost a year and a half to be able to skate a Viking boot over 3/4" rock-faced cement paths.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy