Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Trip - Morzine or Avoriaz ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Could anybody give me a bit of advice? My wife and I have booked flights to Geneva in the 2nd week in March for our first skiing trip for 5 nights. We're both in our late 30s and have never skiied before. The idea is to hire skis/boots and have some lessons. I've narrowed the resorts down to either Avoriaz, Morzine or Chamonix. The priority is to learn to ski but having other things to do is also something to consider. I'll be hiring a car at the airport for the transfer.

Which resort would suit us best? And what's the best score for ski hire/lessons?

Any help appreciated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHead

Either Avoriaz or Morzine.

Book private lessons well in advance, as you are doing five days you probably won't be suitable for group lessons which are generally 6 days commencing on a Sunday. You will be just out of the French school hols so you should have your choice of ski school. ESF is the main one in both resorts but there are also other independent schools which have good reputations, someone who can recommend will be along soon I'm sure! Maybe have a couple of hours in the mornings, leaving the afternoons to practice your new skills - at least you can share lessons being the same level.

Once you know which resort, have a look at the resorts website which will give you all the ski hire info etc or you can ask here.

What else are you looking to do besides ski? That may help you choose resort.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gwyn, Avoriaz or Morzine I would agree. I would prefer to stay in Morzine, but you may also like to consider Les Gets which has slightly higher nursery slopes. Plenty of accomodation to choose from and I like Les Gets as a village better - more convienent to slopes and ski school meeting points than Morzine
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would rather stay in Morzine than Avoriaz. Personally I think it is a nicer village.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gwyn, if you do look at Les Gets I can recommend more. I will be there myself 6-9 March.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with the other postings. Morzine is a fairly big town but where you stay may not be near the nursery slopes. Avoriaz ski in ski out purpose and is mainly self catering apartments and a couple of hotels. Les Gets is a small town and is at a higher altitude than Morzine.

Because you're not taking a package holiday you should be looking for accommodation now because it may more difficult finding accommodation for just 5 days.

Equipment hire and lessons depend on where you find accommodation which should be your priority.

Have a good time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gwyn - Avoriaz, Morzine or Les Gets will all work for you. Les Gets is particularly good for beginners IMHO.

Not Chamonix. It has many things in its favour, but it's not a good resort for beginners.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les Gets - nicer mountain experience. Avoriaz perhaps when you have done a bit more and need to access the PdS more easily.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, I would say Les Gets would be the best bet in my view.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Of the two I would have thought that Morzine would be nicer for a first trip. Avoriaz is a very full-on snow experience (no streets or cars just pistes). Morzine is a nice town to walk around if the skiing gets too much. You won't have to leave the car in an out of town carpark as you would in Avoriaz so you can easily ski other areas such as Les Gets.

In skiing terms Les Gets maybe marginally more suitable but for your holiday as a whole I suspect you may prefer Morzine.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy