Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids skiing - what age was yours?

Poster: A snowHead
Our first ankle biter is due in a couple of weeks and I was wondering on peoples experiences of travelling with babies, what age yours started skiing, did you hire a nanny or take it in turns to ski?

Any other tips will be very welcome.

Thanks from a nervously excited soon to be dad.

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm rather suddenly extremely interested in this subject also!! Shocked .... please do tell ....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bored At Work, you'll soon have to change your pseudonym to Asleep At Work wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bored At Work, some creches begin daycare for babies at a surprisingly young age. The one based at Hotel Cachette in Les Arcs - click here - is a long-established favourite, because the whole thing (including care and ski school for kids who can start playing with skis) is located within a family hotel.

At age 3-4 most children will enjoy some simple fun on skis - maybe just for an hour or two per day, mixed with other activities. A couple of years later, most children will enjoy several hours on snow every day.

Remember that toboganning etc. is as much fun, if not more fun, for a young child.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We took our children last year for the first time skiing at the ages of 5 and 6. In the previous years we were able to call on their Grandma's to look after them while we had some time to ourselves. As David said our children had as much, or more fun, toboganning as they did learning to ski.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For once a year skiers 5-6 yrs old, nearer 6 the better. Earlier than that just finish an hour earlier and take them about for a mess about. At they age they enjoy "playing" in the snow rather than learning to ski. By the time they are eight however you cant see the little bugs for powder! whoosh..gone.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Daughter number 1 started at 6, number 2 learned on the dry-slope at 3, and went into 'proper' ski school at Valmorel at 4.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Our son was first on snow at 6 in a sort of Kids' Club wth snow activities in Bulgaria. He was skiing with us at 7.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My daughter first went first aged five, my sons going this year aged four. He's physically stronger and a little more adventurous than his sister was, so we think he'll be fine.

Take them ice skating and to dryslopes or snow domes first. It helps balance and makes everything a little easier to take in when they get to resort.

It really depends on the child. Our daughter didn't want to go last year, so we didn't force it. We went on our own Very Happy
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I've relied on grandparent cover up till now, but the kids (6 and 4) are actually making noises about being left behind this year ! I've booked a summer trip to Les Deux Alpes so hopefully by next season they'll be Alp-ready.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Our kids (twins, one of each) started when they were just 4; they did an hour or two a day, which seemed enough. By the time they were 6 they were doing all day ski school, and now (at 10) they are, inevitably, more stylish and braver (neither is actually that hard to achieve) than me (although not yet faster - there are some benefits in being 17 stone).

I think that young kids need a flexible approach to lessons; some will find it very tiring (our kids have always skied in N.America, so jet lag was a factor for the first couple of years). They should have the opportunity to just play about in the snow, as well as to ski in it. We used ski kindergartens for the first couple of years, where they do kindergarten stuff with the kids for some (or all) of the day and give them lessons for an hour or two, or a half day, depending on their age and the kid's wishes. It worked well for our kids, and they soon got to the point where they were happy with all day lessons (not every day).

Our kids were fortunate in being able to go to ski school together; if you can ski with friends with similar age and standard kids, that might be good.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 12-01-05 17:39; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
3 y.o.
Get a qualified instructor to teach him/her, it will save you balance even if it will affect your pockets.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1st week at 3, but it was mostly snow play with maybe 6 hours max on skis. Just had her 4th week (she's 5 in a couple of week) and she loves it - just getting into parallel turns and a bit of skiing with Dad Cool snowHead Very Happy In fact she seems to want to race the whole time!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bored At Work, be prepared to travel with a lot more stuff! Age wise it depends on the child - current 6 year old started at age 3, and is now in her second year of mini race team - they ski from 8:30 to 2:30, with a couple of breaks. I do know one child who started at age 18 months, but her dad is a ski instructor! You'll probably enjoy your skiing more if you hire a nanny, if only for a few hours, although some places have very good creches (or so I'm told). It could be expensive though, especially to hire someone who is fully qualified and experienced.
Good luck!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bored At Work, Adam Holt, I can't see any reason why they can't start sliding at about 2. If they can stand up they can ski. they mostly can't actually to a snowplough so young, but can often turn their skis. However by 4 or 5 they should be able to start actually ski-ing and can learn to plough etc. Small kids have no idea of danger, but you can "push & catch" in the afternoons, build snowmen and do sledging as well. If there's enough snow maybe you can build an igloo! If you want to take them up small lifts, put them on your knee rather than hold the lift yourself (pulls your arms out). If they like sliding and want to do more, don't put them between your legs of hold them by the hand - tie your stick together and put them round the kids' middle. That way you can control their speed and even indicate which way to go (they probably don't know left and right yet) while they are actually ski-ing themselves.

Many of my families have great fun ski-ing with their kids, I've got a 4 year old coming in 2 weeks time and his little brother (2) is going to get little skis as well. snowHead
snow conditions
4 and 6 in our case. As everyone else has said, a little at first, mixed with other fun activities. They soon clamour for more!
latest report
easiski, do they actually make very little skis for very little people!? ... 2 years old sounds good to me. Every time I go skiing it always strikes me that the local kids seem to start skiing much earlier than our over-protected off-spring. I seem to remember the last time I was in Austria and taking a break down a cliff-like black run and watching a school of little people snowplough past without a care in the world ... none of them was over 2ft tall!!! it was somewhat humiliating. snowHead
latest report
My nephew started aged 5. First time on skis did a perfect 180 parallel turn...then carried it on to 270 degrees by which time he was pointing directly up the slope and fell over backwards...to ensuing tears (and fits of laughter from adoring relatives). He had been water-skiing for a couple of years by then though. Now aged 9 he belts around reds fairly happily and finds little jumps at every opportunity.

His sister went on skis first time this year aged 3.5 (although had previously been skiing aged -0.5), although was too young to go into ski-school, and after an unpromising start was quite happily sliding all over the mountain for 3-4 hours a day - firmly held by harness and extended dual reins (finally found a use for our karabiners and slings), or skiing between her Dad's legs. A lot of her sliding about did rely fairly heavily on her Dad's skill on skis though. A couple of times the end of the day was pretty traumatic though as she did get very cold, with not working as hard as an independent skier - so do be very careful that their hands and feet are warm enough. Plastic spoon-like sledges for the end of the day were a major hit (and with random adults and dogs too).

If anyone's going to La Tania, avoid the ESF creche there - she was supposed to be in there for the week, but they were so poorly organised and clueless (and she was the only child there) she spent the first session sobbing her heart out. They refunded the money no questions asked, so I guess they realise there's a problem too. Other places (e.g. Argentiere), I've seen excellent snow-play creches for the toddlers. The same nephew spent time there aged 1 or 2 - although with mixed success as he was incredibly clingy at that age.
snow conditions
Ours had a session with soft boots and plastic skis when aged 2 11/12 and 4 1/2. We then left it till they were much older.

Bored At Work, there are a number of companies that look after babies while you ski. We have used Ski Hillwood, Ski Esprit and a hotel that had its own in-house nanny. They were all successful to a certain degree. Now the kids ski all day and that is by far the best solution!!
snow conditions
My youngest daughter was 6 & 1/2 when she learnt(at Tamworth)She's 8 this Friday.She does a whole day no problem.Having skied a lot at Tamworth,she's well used to dodging the bodies.Its really funny to watch her at a crowded,moguled intersection.Where most others are nervously picking their way around the bumps and lumps;she scuds around them in a little plough,taking not a bit of notice.
A quick tip(for those unaware)do all you can to stay off the flat sections.The little folk cannot maintain enough speed to carry them through,and you will end up pushing them.My daughter hates them,and it kills me!!To maintain their interest it has to be fun.Struggling along flat sections most definitely is not.And don't under estimate what they are capable of.Whilst I keep a very close eye on my daughter,I now let her run with her elder brother(12)who's a good skier.She's done plenty of easier reds,following along ESF stylie.And if she falls(quite rare now)she just starts laughing.Don't you just wish you had the same attitude?
ski holidays
Both my kids started at 3 1/2, though they have both been coming on skiing holidays since they were a few months old. The youngest got his Floccon (sorry if the spelling is wrong but it means 'snowflake') from ESF in his second season at 4 1/2 years old. My daughter had never skied in Europe until one week in December 2003 where she got her three star from ESF. She was unable to go for the gold star because conditions were too icy for the speed trials.

In March we will be back to Lake Louise and both kids will be in ski school all morning and then join us if they want to in the afternoon. Though it seems for some reason that skiing with a group of friends their own age is often seen as more favourable than them coming out with us Shocked But I did take my daughter off-piste a little in Val Thorens last season, so I think she should be ready for some fun in the Lake Louise back bowls if we get the right conditions Smile

Incidentally, the reason we first went to Lake Louise (and have returned 7 times in 9 years) is because of their day care facility. It really is second to none, they take babies from a few weeks old, are incredibly cheap, have a very high staff to child ratio and are located right at the base of the hill.
snow report
As Marc Gledhill and others have said, it depends on the kid. There's little point making their lives miserable if they really hate it. Then again, I don't see why they shouldn't try it around 2, as easiski says. There was a pisteur helping out at last weekend's slalom in Les Arcs who was alternatively carrying his 20 month old daughter around in his arms, then putting her down while he fixed a gate, or raked out a couple of turns. She just slid around a bit while she waited, completely in her element, didn't fall over once.

We all went for a drink afterwards. Minus skis in the bar she wasn't exactly steady on her feet!
ski holidays
Cheers guys ... thanks for all your advice.

Now how do I stop the kid from getting better than me - Laughing
ski holidays
BAW, you don't my kids could beat me from the age of about 11, they always thought it great fun to find the biggest jumps to take Dad over.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, tsk, taking a 20-month-old for a drink - I'm not surprised she was unsteady! wink
ski holidays
Skied with an immensely technical skier aged 9 for a week. She'd had her first on ski experience (her own skis) at 9 months, a week before she started walking. Quite exceptional.

I started at 4, my bro at 3, didn't seem to hurt. Although we're not very tall. Probably a co-incidence.

Best tale were friends who abandoned son #1 into creche around 18 months. We went skiing, lunching and then repaired to the bar for some extreme apres-skiing.

Cue puzzled look from the father around 6.00pm and phrase "I keep thinking I've forgotten something."

Cue frantic yelp around 6.15pm, "I know what I've forgotten and the creche closed 45 minutes ago..."

Haven't seen him leave the bar so quickly since.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 13-01-05 23:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
My boys started at 5(just) and 6. As we started to ski at the same time, we had them in ski school and creche/kid's club all day the first time, but came back to eat lunch with them. The youngest wasn't very keen for the 1st couple of years, but soon changed his mind (we did say he could stay at home with granny and that fixed him!!!) . We always made some time to play with them at lunchtime or afer skiing.
ski holidays
My two started last year aged 5 and 7 with a week in Les Contamines. They went to Ski School for two hours each morning. After lunch we hired toboggons for 1 Euro each per hour from the shop at the top of the gondola and they had great fun with that.

Passed their Snoflake test at the end of the week and could do snowplough turns. On the last day we went up and down the drag lift by the middle gondola station. They absolutely loved it and we couldn't get them off the slope.

What surprised me was how easy they took to it - wearing the boots, gear, taking skis off/on, coping with the lifts etc. By the end of the day they were shattered, however, and slept like logs.

We stayed in the Chalet Oncle Henri with Total Ski. Although they were the only kids in the Chalet that week (naughty parents taking them out of school) it worked really well and they did affect any of the other guests. They had high tea at 6pm, bath at 7pm and in bed for half past ready for us to have dinner.

I'm glad we took them at that age and not earlier to be honest. They enjoyed it so much we are going back to Les Contamines im March with Total to the same Chalet and the same room - at the request of the kids !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kendadj, you might find that you spend a lot of time in Les Contamines. The worst thing about skiing with kids (in my experience) is that they want to go back to the same place each year, conservative little blighters that they are. I've managed to drag mine away from Banff after 6 years (with a few weeks elsewhere as well); it's a great place, but I could have done with a change after, say, 4 years! I don't think that it's just the skiing, it's the town and the hotel as well.
ski holidays
Richmond, I think you may be right. They develop a comfort zone and like familiarity.

Having said that, we are looking at Les Gets for 2006 - they will go, I will win !
snow report
Bored At Work, we are taking Grace with us to Banff in March, she will be 11 months. We are also taking the mother in law with us to look after Grace whilst we ski. The concerns I have are, how will she cope with the time change, how on earth are we going to transport our luggage and the ridiculous amount that Grace will need for 10 days (I guess the hotel laundry service will take some hammer). Hopefully the hotel will have a cot/bed. We will still need a sterilizer which is pretty bulky.

Should be quite an adventure rolling eyes
ski holidays
Ken Lingwood wrote:
Bored At Work, we are taking Grace with us to Banff in March, she will be 11 months. We are also taking the mother in law with us to look after Grace whilst we ski. The concerns I have are, how will she cope with the time change, how on earth are we going to transport our luggage and the ridiculous amount that Grace will need for 10 days (I guess the hotel laundry service will take some hammer). Hopefully the hotel will have a cot/bed. We will still need a sterilizer which is pretty bulky.

Should be quite an adventure rolling eyes

Good luck. Where are you staying? My experience of Banff and other Canadian hotels is that they will fall over backwards for you (as will I, on the slopes). It's worth calling the hotel to book a cot or bed and to see what kid's gear they have.
ski holidays
Ken Lingwood, take sterilizing tablets (get them at Boots) instead of the sterilizer, and pack everything in a plastic lidded box, which you can then use to sterilize everything in - I used to use a gallon size ice cream tub. In my experience you are more likely to get problems with the time change when you get back to the UK (going from West to East). Just make sure you switch to local time asap, but be very flexible - which may mean eating lunch in the middle of the night! Smile Usually kids adapt very easily - it's the adults looking after tham who suffer! Very Happy
snow conditions
richmond, We are staying at the Caribou Lodge, and yes I will be phoning ahead. Have been to Banff for a couple of previous holidays in the past, I'll be very surprised if they can't organise everything for me/Grace.
ski holidays
Ken Lingwood, that's a relatively new one on the main drag, just outside the 'centre', isn't it? I've walked past it but never been in (I've stayed in the Inns of Banff, just up the road, and in the Banff Springs).

In case you haven't used them, sterilising tabs are great provided that your daughter will put up with the taste. My son wouldn't (at age 6/12), and his twin sister had to start the bottle off for him. Girls are obviously tougher in this respect so you should be OK. Our kids didn't have great problems with jet lag, but they were 4 the first time they expeienced it. My guess is, the younger the kid, the less the problem.
snow report
We started ours at 6 and 8, at the same time as ourselves. Went with Snowbiz to Puy St Vincent. It was excellent, an accident of timing meant that between the 4 of us we had 2 instructors (supplied by Snowbiz). Now 4 weeks later we are happy to take them out all day, (although they are emarrassed about our lack of speed) and we skied with the SCGB rep in Val D'Isere last year and had no real problems keeping pace. Theonly downside is that I have to buy Four lunches everyday!
ski holidays
Adam Holt, Yes they do! Tiddly little proper boots and skis - cute!!! Don't do the plastic things as they don't slide properly. Also, if the boots are a little big it doesn't really matter - they won't have them on long enough at that age, and you can always put thicker socks on and make a game of it!!! snowHead snowHead Cool
snow conditions
I've just returned from a holiday in La Tania which I organised for cochlear-implanted deaf children and their families. We had children from 4 to 13, including my daughter who is four and a half. It was her second time on snow - having had a week last year in the ski kindergarden in Courchevel 1650. We teamed up with Supreme Ski School - www.supremeski.com - who were absolutely fantastic. My daughter is tiny for her age (on the bottom decile of the weight/height charts). Despite that, she was learning on the open mountain (not in a protected children's area) and on the last day skied across from La Tania to Courchevel. I found that last year she did not like the 'factory-like', conveyor belt routine of the kindergarten but responded really well to Supreme's brilliant, child-aware and child-friendly staff who made ski school really fun. It also helped that she was staying in the same accommodation and making friends with the same children that were in her ski group.
snow report
Gotta revive this thread ...

Our healthy baby daughter was born on Thursday 20th Jan at 2:58am, 15mins after arrival to the hospital - yes, it was close but we made it!!! Mother and baby doing very well. What an amazing experience, it still hasn't sunk in!!! One very proud dad sitting here right now!!!

Cheers for all the tips guys.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Bored At Work, congratulations on the safe arrival.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy