Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eastern Europe-recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am on a tight budget this year so am thinking of heading to an eastern European resort for the Febuary half term (Yes I am a teacher). Mrs Necromancer is a beginner snowboarder I am at the point of going down blue/red runs and linking turns. We will both want instruction. It doesnt have to be 5 star but has suitable for beginner/early intermediate level.

Any ideas?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
necromancer, I fear you may have left it a little late for this year as half-term books up fast. I think as you want to be looked after that Bulgaria would be good for you. They are crowded at half term and you will queue for lifts, toilets are horrid and the food and kit dodgy, but it is as cheap as you will get and you will have fun within these limitations. Bulgarian gas supplies might be an issue though. Romania (Poina Brasov) might also suit.

Interesting as a cultural experience for a teacher. The first time I went there was a revolution! (I didn't cause it.)

snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure what year you went to Bulgaria Chris but i never found as bad a toilet as in Cervinia last year (they were all perfectly normal in Bulgaria..) and the food was quite decent along with cheap cocktails no complaining possible, Kit wise again not sure where you skiied but Pamporovo had perfectly good equipment, true about the queues though they can get quite bad and the gas issue could be the real problem!.

Maybe also consider Jasna in Slovakia, nice little place with good lifts and nice and cheap.
http://www.jasna.sk/en/winter/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
geeo, Fair point. I have not been to Bulgaria since 2000, so my info is out of date. I went to Borovets and Pamporovo. They were great for weeks 1,2,3,4 but after that we moved on to bigger areas.

snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies. Kit wont be a problem thanks to an out of season snowboard purchase and the legacy of some shared house hand-me-down gear.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bulgaria tends to arouse passionate black-or-white responses. Bit like Marmite. Haven't skied there so can't comment.

Romania (where I'm from) is less well-known and, probably because it hasn't been hyped so much, less hated too. Small resorts. But if you can get a good deal at half term for Poiana Brasov, go for it and get instruction with the money saved.

(That said, I haven't skied in Romania except for the odd weekend since I left the country eight years ago).

I hear Slovakia has some good small resort but haven't been.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been to borovets 4 times as a cheap second ski holiday. Bulgaria is good of beginner/early intermediate, I don't know why anyone wastes their money anywhere else if they are at this level. It isn't quite a cheap as it used to be, restaurants and drinks are UK prices in the resorts (get out of the resort and you can pay a fiver for 2 courses though) and lift passes are now just over half what you would pay in France. Stay away from pamporovo, it has serious problems getting enough snow, go for borovets or bansko.

Don't know anything about snowboarding really but the ski instruction in BG is very dated, if you are serious about improving and lessons go elsewhere. Getting decent gear is also a problem but when many brits insist on snowploughing over roads with them it's hardly surprising. Correct adjustment of bindings is also something to watch. I also keep a pair of rock skis out there to use because it's very easy to damage your gear since they don't get huge amounts of snow.

Half term is going to be very crowded especially the terrain you are looking at as the bulgarian resorts are absolutely full of brit beginners and intermediates and I think you will struggle finding anywhere to stay now. If I was going to eastern europe I'd probably look at Slovenia (kranjska gora is best) first followed by more off the beaten path Slovakia and Croatia.

Beginners and people that can laugh at the cheesyness will love BG and serious skiers who like fancy euro resorts and have money to burn will hate BG. Personally, I put up with it because it is cheap and I can stay there for free, without it I could not get a second holiday in.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have always enjoyed Slovenia especially Vogel. The resorts though are quite small.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bansko, for what it is, is arguably the best choice in Bulgaria. Not directly affected by the current gas situation, IIRC.

The most recent (still a bit of a building site, so be warned), state of the art lift system (mostly express quads) and some decently long runs. Nice old town to boot, a World Heritage Site.

The Lion (stayed there, decent food even), The Perun (not Pirin) and Strazhite up near the gondola are decent choices (all 4*), and if you pick up a deal you should do the lot (equip/passes/tuition) for £350/£400 all in. Beer about £1.50/£2.00 pint, large pizza about £5/£6.

Well documented Gondola queues, easily avoided. If there's no price on it ask, 'cause they'll keep whatever you give 'em, and try to get currency in smaller denominations.

As narc said cheesy but great for beginners, but there's still plenty for intemediates. You get what you pay for but I've been to worse places in the Alps. Bit of a "if it's Bulgaria it has to be cr*p" stigma, mostly by people who haven't been, but ignore it.

Unless you're really picky, in which case you shouldn't be going to Eastern Europe, as beginners/improvers you'll love it.

John.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kransna Gora Slovenia.......we went last year and it was a nice little resort, cheap and good runs for the beginner/intermediate. Excellent tuition too.....fast transfer, not brill snow but it was late season anyway and Slovenia had suffered last year. Its Austrian borders, austrian scenery with Slovenian prices. We'd go back. snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try Jahorina in Bosnia. I don't know if any of you have ever been there but resort has great slopes, little out of date with lifts, without snow making system and with nice atmosphere. Sarajevo has been famous for very cold and snowy winter and surrounding hills are snowy much of the time. The most important, they have a winter sports tradition and I wouldn't say so for Bulgarians or Romanians.
Personaly, I had some great skiing in Czech Rep. too.
For Slovenia try to find the topic in which we've allready explained everything.

Croatia? Zagreb has nice weather at the moment. Very cold and conditions on the World cup hill Sljeme are great! For tourists staying in the hotels at the top skipass is a real bargain! At the same time you're just 20 mins away from the center of town Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jahorina pics 2009 www.info-jahorina.net
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
necromancer, what did you do in the end?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you're going to Eastern Europe make sure you don't need medical help. Took my wife a while ago as I thought it was a cheap place for her to learn, and was supposed to be good for beginners. Poor tuition, but worst was a simple fall (which we have on video!) which left her with a fractured pelvis and medical treatment was non-existent. It may be better now, but I'm never going back.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy