Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Perception of a good fit.

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so i'm sat in the shop, rather quiet. I have a boot on my foot, Salomon Ghost. Should fit well, good shape for my foot, i have put a 27 on my foot, out of the box, no footbed, no moulding. It feels perfect, super snug around the ankle and instep my toes move slightly, big toe a little snugger in height than the rest.

I am trying to imagine self serving myself. There is a measure in the shop, i measure just under 28 according to it. I have put a Head Edge 11+ on the other foot, a massive change in range and shape. It doesn't feel too bad either, but at this point, given my perceived level, i will chose the Ghost, "Skiing is a Sport to me, not a holiday."

Now given what i do actually do for a living, i can see how hard it is to;

Trust a bootfitter, the size that would work will be the 26, however i'm super snug in the 27.

TBC
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do the mondo sizes relate to the length in centimetres of one's foot from toe to heel...?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why would you put your foot in a boot that was shorter than what your foot measures in centimetres?

I always found that a strange one.

Is there really that much difference in the overall internal size of a boot that 27 than one that is 26 other than the length? Surely if your boot was too short, it would be incredibly annoying? Do the manufacturers make the boots knowing that they're too long for the measured foot size? Why not fit the length exactly right and then work on getting the boot to fill out around the foot properly?

I don't mean any of this to sound confrontational, I'm just curious Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
element, The Mondo sizes allow for a grading of all Boot dimensions, so a 26 with a 95mm forefoot last width would be something like a 98mm width in a Mondo 27. Just like your clothes, a bigger chest size also means the sleeves are longer.

If for instance your foot measures a Mondo 27, the shell size will allow for a generous amount of space for the liner and comfort, so that when you first try it on in supposedly the right size it doesn't feel too tight and that boot is then discounted as not being comfortable and another make is selected. All the Manufacturers do it.
To get a decent fit, 1 or maybe 2 Mondo sizes smaller than you actually measure is probably right to get a good close fit.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 10-01-09 11:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm still very confused about my new boots but going to try and get an appointment to have them heat-moulded and footbeds fitted in the next couple of weeks, i.e. after pay day...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia wrote:
I'm still very confused about my new boots but going to try and get an appointment to have them heat-moulded and footbeds fitted in the next couple of weeks, i.e. after pay day...

I must admit that I'm thinking the same too. Come the summer (when hopefully when the ole finances are replenished and there may be some deals to be had on last season's kit) I'm going to trot off down to Bicester and see CEM (Colin) so that he can sort me out with the works. My Head boots at the mo are fine, heat moulded liners, etc, but the more I read about boots and people's thoughts, the more I think this is something I need to get professional advice on
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh this whole topic fills me with fear !!

Its all so confusing which is why I said I was never going to buy another pair again - not that my current pair have ever been uber comfy they took weeks to become the right size etc and then I had to have bits blown out my feet changed shape and now I need new ones after 6 years !

So I am off to see CEM next week but am filled with fear that he wont be able to sort my little flippers out ! at some points I really do think maybe I should have stuck to snowboarding Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Typically I bought new boots before joining snowHead and I had no idea it was such a minefield. I bought boots off the internet, same size as my previous boots (which I'd had for 14 years!) and after trying them on in resort. According to the professionals on here, they are too big (mondo 27, I'm a size 8/42 shoe), but they feel pretty damn snug to me. They're not all that comfortable round the calf yet so I'm hoping the heat-moulding/footbeds do the trick. I certainly can't afford new boots again for a good few years...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Slepnir - They might well be fine, my old slightly-too-high-volume boots were for years before the liners gave up the ghost. I'm not in line to win any WC DH's or freeride comps, so they did the job nicely until the liners died. The real advantage of a great fit over a good one for a punter like me is that the liners will die a lot later as they have to do less work, and it's then going to be worth keeping the shells.

This does rather assume you weren't sold the boots by an imbecile and ended up in something 30mm longer than your foot, however.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have recently heard of a story about a guy who at great expense bought his partner some new ski boots.
The bootfitter said to them quite clearly, wear your boots around the house for a couple of hours each evening a weeks or so before you go skiing.

They chose not to listen to this advice ......

The guy lost at least one days skiing because his partners feet hurt so much, but magically by the end of the week the boots were broken in and super comfortable Confused
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
element wrote:
Why would you put your foot in a boot that was shorter than what your foot measures in centimetres?

I always found that a strange one.

Is there really that much difference in the overall internal size of a boot that 27 than one that is 26 other than the length? Surely if your boot was too short, it would be incredibly annoying? Do the manufacturers make the boots knowing that they're too long for the measured foot size? Why not fit the length exactly right and then work on getting the boot to fill out around the foot properly?

I don't mean any of this to sound confrontational, I'm just curious Smile

you put it in the size which allows a sensible amount od space in the shell and adjsut the liner and shell if required

the reason manufactures make boots long to size is that 90% of boot are bought on the basis of can i try that in a size 27.... if you try it on and it feels short then you either go to a bigger size or more probably another brand! the boot companies are run as commercial businesses and don't like to lose customers so...... they make a lot of the boots a little oversize to let the people who buy without fitting put on the percieved size

as SMALLZOOKEEPER has said it is about perception of fit, how much the boot will pack down with use and the balance between comfort and preformance
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CEM,
Quote:

as SMALLZOOKEEPER has said it is about perception of fit, how much the boot will pack down with use and the balance between comfort and preformance

Surely to 'most' leisure holiday skiers comfort is all. Hence snow and Rock putting everyone into nice large cosy toe slippers. Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing, I've now got cosy toes courtesy of CEM Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok, so after the time it has taken, the liner in the Ghost has settled, I can almost pull my foot out of the boot, i would consider tightening the buckles here and perhaps see how it felt. At his point i am thinking of comparing it with the 26 to see.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boredsurfing wrote:
Surely to 'most' leisure holiday skiers comfort is all.

I don't disagree with that, but if a boot if comfortable for the first week or two of use how long will it take before the heel starts to lift and the skier no longer feels as if the ski is connected to their feet?
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, I've now got cosy toes courtesy of CEM Very Happy[/quote]

Latest News, breakfast baguette shop in bicester to close! Very Happy

Quote:

Boredsurfing wrote:
Surely to 'most' leisure holiday skiers comfort is all.

I don't disagree with that, but if a boot if comfortable for the first week or two of use how long will it take before the heel starts to lift and the skier no longer feels as if the ski is connected to their feet?

So to the leisure holiday skier that'll be 3 seasons before he needs new latest boots in the latest colour so it's off to S and R again for new cosy slippers to ski in!
snow report
So, i have 'heard' on some of these 'Forums' that i should try a foot bed, i am going to do it with a Superfeet green and put them in the Ghost 27.
ski holidays
Given that this topic always generates a huge range of opinion, I think that it is interesting to see this being raised by someone who does this for a living. SMALLZOOKEEPER, what happened with the footbed?

As for shoe size and comfort, If I look in my shoe cupboard I've got a range of shoes in UK6 to 7, all of which are comfortable [not keen on uncomfy shoes]. IMO we all have different perceptions of what is comfortable and what is not. Some of us are able to put up with some degree of discomfort to accommodate our enjoyment of a sport.

So unless I have been sucked into massive joke by the bootfitting community, that's my 10p. Very Happy
snow report
FWIW I'm a UK 9 or US 10.5, my first set of boots were mondo 28.5 - nice enough and did 14 weeks skiing before they were like wellies.

Now I'm in a mondo 27 which is by rights a UK 7 and they're very snug. Have to make sure I've got my toe nails nice and short and I only wear ultra thin wicking socks. If I stand up and walk around with the buckles undone my toes start to hurt from being pushed to the front; but when done up and on skis - they are great.

IMHO it's just something that you get to know with experience, or if you're blessed with a great bootfitter and put your faith in him.
latest report
bucking bronco wrote:
FWIW I'm a UK 9 or US 10.5, my first set of boots were mondo 28.5 - nice enough and did 14 weeks skiing before they were like wellies.

Now I'm in a mondo 27 which is by rights a UK 7 and they're very snug. Have to make sure I've got my toe nails nice and short and I only wear ultra thin wicking socks. If I stand up and walk around with the buckles undone my toes start to hurt from being pushed to the front; but when done up and on skis - they are great.

IMHO it's just something that you get to know with experience, or if you're blessed with a great bootfitter and put your faith in him.

27 is an 8 -8 1/2 on the chart but most are nearer a 9
ski holidays
what is it with this forum today...keeps logging me out and reposting Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 12-01-09 17:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
oops Embarassed Embarassed double post

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 12-01-09 17:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
This putting your feet to small shells makes me think of a fellow Swede who bought shoes which were clearly too small. He hardly managed to squeeze his feet into them. A week later the shoe shop owner saw the man walking painfully on a street nearby and asked how was he doing and why was he putting himself through all trouble and pain. The man replied: my work sucks, my daughter ran away with a rocker, my son has a drug problem and my wife wants a divorce. The only highlight of my day is to go home and take of my shoes.
snow conditions
bucking bronco wrote:

Sounds like my story. I'm usually a 44 in hiking boots (9.5), 43 (9) in dress shoes, in climbing shoes down to UK 7.5 for short limestone routes... my new ski boots are a UK7. They fit like a glove... and instantly improved my skiing by an unimaginable amount. I regretted the half mile uphill walk to the lifts the first day I wore them, or spending half the morning in mogul fields, or not stopping for a rest.

But I love them sooooo much. I can now keep my balance Toofy Grin
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

Trust a bootfitter, the size that would work will be the 26, however i'm super snug in the 27.

You should go and see that Colin chappie in Bicester, he can probably fit you up with some boots.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 13-01-09 10:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
davidof, na, running low on 26 right now Little Angel
snow report
CEM wrote:
davidof, na, running low on 26 right now Little Angel

Maybe the Ghost is too narrow for his feet? So it feels tight but as he can wiggle his toes around it is really too long? I think he is right to fit without the footbed/inner sole though, as the boot packs out and gets sloppy he can put them back in, then wear a second pair of socks when he get's past 10 weeks. I'm worried he's going to do something stupid like go down to 26 and get a boot that is both too narrow and too short and end up with the dreadful black toe for the rest of the season. Purlease Colin, help the guy out.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy