Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Snowcentre - Hemel

Poster: A snowHead
The Snowcentre Hemel has secured a partnership with Otztal, Austria. I think the wall graphics look amazing, how nice not to have to look at plain white walls, much better the Austrian Alps.
Everything is on schedule for the opening in April. I can't wait. Very Happy

Here are a few photographs taken yesterday.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the update. How does the steepness of the main slope compare with MK?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, that looks fantastic. Thanks for the pics.

All we need when this is finished is a snowdome in the SW/Westcountry - there's nothing west of MK or south of Tamworth for us, we are in a snow black hole... Sad Surely with Gloucester's ski heritage we could build one just off the M5. It'd be good to convert the current slope like Hemel, but that will never happen as it has a golf course right alongside it and is owned by a shoddy hotel trying to pass itself off as a quality business destination...

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 9-01-09 19:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, MK is 12 degrees at the top, then 10 degrees for the rest.
Hemel is 15 degrees, then 12 degrees, then 10 degrees.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman, yep, no doubt newer domes will be far better than the older ones, in which case I really hope this comes off:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/2068043.0/?act=complaint&cid=1180415
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The wall graphics are a good touch, although Chill Factore had them first... wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Liam, Graphics are done by the same folks who did Chill, but they've made an even better job of it this time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lookin' good. Can't wait for snow to fall!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skisimon, they own the slope too Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
roga, that's what I said (or at least that's what I intended say). Little Angel Emphasis on the shoddy hotel - I doubt they could get the funds from head office to put a roof over the slope, let alone install snowmaking facilities.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skisimon, bumped in to an architect I have done business with before and remembered he was a skier so had a chat with him and it turns out he is the architect on the intended Morfa ski dome in Swansea, he basically said it was 'on hold' due to the current credit crunch Sad so nothing further west either ! thinking of going to Tamworth next week for my first ever fridge slide, and it is making me think that the price of ski passes for the alps are not so bad after all !! but I suppose there are other things that are just as expensive for an hour of fun Blush
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman wrote:

forget the angle, what about the length Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Michelle, 160m
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Michelle wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

forget the angle, what about the length Toofy Grin

and the width Toofy Grin
Main 160mx32m
Nursery 100mx32m

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 10-01-09 12:06; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges, 170mt you naughty boy! Snow domes are like mens willys, they all lie! Everyone who has been in to Hemel who knows MK has confirmed its bigger (longer) and that includes the guys that built MK!
snow report
slikedges, now I know you are good at Kung Fu but I know Who Flung Dung so now I am on my way to see you!
snow report
gilleski, I'll look forward to testing that as soon as the snow falls, but in the meantime 170m it is then! Laughing

Spyderman, get your facts right NehNeh
snow report
slikedges, Edited, just for you. Laughing
160m does include the flat bit at the top & bottom though.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 10-01-09 12:07; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Spyderman, yep, sounds right, good call! Very Happy
latest report
Spyderman, those measurements you've given above, is it reasonable to assume that is based on it
being long and straight like MK is, not with a left hand bend in it like TW has? I'd have thought so but did wonder since the subject of dimensions has come up.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, If you look at the last photo above. The bit on the left is the main slope 160m long, from the bottom to the top wall, 32m wide between the walls. The bit on the right is the Nursery slope 100m long, 32m wide.
So in total area the slope is: 60mx32m and 100mx64m, so 8,320 square metres total.
Straight rectangles, no bends like Tamworth.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 10-01-09 12:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
skisimon, agreed Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Hmmm looking at the pictures it does not look as steep as MK...
snow conditions
skisimon wrote:
Spyderman, that looks fantastic. Thanks for the pics.

All we need when this is finished is a snowdome in the SW/Westcountry - there's nothing west of MK or south of Tamworth for us, we are in a snow black hole... Sad Surely with Gloucester's ski heritage we could build one just off the M5. It'd be good to convert the current slope like Hemel, but that will never happen as it has a golf course right alongside it and is owned by a shoddy hotel trying to pass itself off as a quality business destination...

i thought thre is one been built in cardiff called the snowbox not sure when it opens tho. the only thing i can find on the web is this:-
http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/content.asp?nav=2866%2C3386%2C4858%2C4863%2C5069&parent_directory_id=2865

not much about on the website but my mate said it opens in a couple of months. looks like hemel coming on well! good photos there.
snow report
Spyderman, what's the lift like for the nursery slope? Is it a magic carpet?

rayscoops, interesting... Swansea is a pain for me though as I am train bound (awkward change in Cardiff) - still easier than Tamworth or MK though. This Cardiff one that superal mentions could be good if there are good city centre transport links.

Still think that one along the M5 corridor would be good. Little Angel
snow conditions
superal thanks for posting that about a potential one in Cardiff. I didn't know about that mind you I hadn't had a look into it. Cardiff is 55 miles from here approx, although all being well I shall be living in Cardiff towards the end of this year so that will be handy to know its there or might be..
skisimon yes.

Spyderman thanks for the info.
snow report
Hasn't the Cardiff slope been talked about for several years? Can't see it being built for a long time yet, if at all, especially with the current economic climate.
ski holidays
Thanks for the update.

Looks like an exact (mirror image) replica of chillfactore.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skisimon wrote:
roga, that's what I said (or at least that's what I intended say). Little Angel

No problem, yeah they do Sad
Quote:
Emphasis on the shoddy hotel - I doubt they could get the funds from head office to put a roof over the slope, let alone install snowmaking facilities.

They can't even get the money together to extend the main slope back up to the top of the hill, no need for a lift extension because it already goes up there just the Dendex, the sprinklers and a few lights for night-time illumination - cost I guess would at most be 50 to 100 grand. If they can't do that I can't see them spending millions on a dome and loosing revenue for months whilst it was being built!

The solution I guess is either for someone else to make them an offer on the slope and land that they can't refuse or to build elsewhere, there are a few suitable hills south of Bristol (the Churchill slope is built on a small one) - somewhere close to the M5/M4 would be beneficial I'd guess. I suspect building on a new site will be the option that'll happen because unless the hotel chain go t*ts up I don't think they'll sell!

Anyway, good to see Hemel progressing well - hope to sample it's delights with a few others once it's ready Very Happy
ski holidays
Tom W wrote:

Hemel is steeper, 15 degrees maximum, as against MK's 12 degree maximum.
snow conditions
narc wrote:
Thanks for the update.

Looks like an exact (mirror image) replica of chillfactore.

Chill is 40m wide, against Hemel's 32, but the Hemel's Nursery slope at 100m is way longer than Chill's.
ski holidays
skisimon, Anywhere just outside Bath would be excellent - just pop it on the mountain and paint georgian houses on the outside - the tourists would never know the diff! Shoddy isn't the word!

roga, With the attitude in evidence fromt he manager in October I'm surprised they're still trading at all. It's a crying shame as it's such a nice slope, and if the original slope was back up again it would be deffo brilliant.

Spyderman, Thanks for the photos - looking really good - love the graphics, so much better than that cr*p hole at MK.

IncogSkiSno, Oh dear it's going to be an Xscape which means it'll be a rip off. Sad
snow conditions
skisimon wrote:
Spyderman, what's the lift like for the nursery slope? Is it a magic carpet?

It'll be accessed from the Main Slope Poma on one side and a Rope Tow on the other. A Rope Tow was chosen over a Magic Carpet for the sake of reliability and ease of use.
ski holidays
From what I understand, the Hemel Snowcentre will not be a one off, if all goes to plan it's the first of many.
latest report
easiski wrote:
Oh dear it's going to be an Xscape which means it'll be a rip off. Sad

How much do you think these things cost to run? An conventional outdoor plastic slope has an opex of under £20/hour - someone on reception, someone on ski hire (maybe the same person), and a quid for the electricity meter every now and again. A snowslope on the other hand needs a big volume of customers just to keep the place cold -even if they have no customers.

Why do you think Tamworth has bankrupted 3 owners since they opened?
snow conditions
RobW, I think you'll find that running a Dry Slope costs a lot more than £20/hr. You missed out on Rates, Heating, Insurances, Capital costs, Equipment, etc.
Even in Dubai the Snowdome there costs no more to keep cool than an average office building. They are very well insulated and once the initial cost of making the snow and getting things cold is achieved, keeping it cold doesn't really cost that much. The biggest cost is paying back the loans to build the thing in the first place.
latest report
superal wrote:

i thought thre is one been built in cardiff called the snowbox not sure when it opens tho. the only thing i can find on the web is this:-
http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/content.asp?nav=2866%2C3386%2C4858%2C4863%2C5069&parent_directory_id=2865

not much about on the website but my mate said it opens in a couple of months. looks like hemel coming on well! good photos there.

Given that AFAIK they haven't started building it yet, and don't have a firm date for doing so, I think "opens in a couple of months" might be just a tad optimistic Smile

It is certainly still supposed to be happening as part of the Sports Village project, but seems to be the lowest priority part as far as I can see.
latest report
Spyderman, we have 2 rope tows on each side of the training area. These are poma ropes at £ 60 000 each so not your normal Briton jobs. Idea of a magic carpet was out earl in the project. They are always breaking down in snow domes!
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
Tom W wrote:

Hemel is steeper, 15 degrees maximum, as against MK's 12 degree maximum.

Cas is quoted as being 15deg at the top of the main slope and 10 at the bottom and on the nursery slope. Anyone know what Chill is? I'd agree that the photo makes it look as if Hemel won't be that steep, whereas the Chill ones made it look like that would be scary-steep, but that's photography for you I guess.
latest report
Butterfly, Chill FactorE is 15 deg at the top, exactly the same as Hemel. The main difference between Hemel and Castleford is Hemel has a 12 deg section in between, so as to make the slope a bit more friendly for beginners progressing up the main slope, so the change in gradient isn't so scary, as the top of the slope is 50% steeper than the bottom.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy