Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez - Sarenne

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

Heading off with a group to AdH tomorrow (10 Jan) but the Sarenne appears to be shut - anyone know why? I know it's flat and rocky at the bottom but would have assumed with 70cm at the bottom of resort, they'd have enough to cover it... Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No loss...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the bottom of the sarenne catches a lot of sun which may well explain it. it's often skiable even when it's shut, at your own risk of course
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Martski - but I've never skied it and wanted to add it to the list! Crying or Very sad
Arno - good point but on my brand spanking new skis? Perhaps it's time to rent again...!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was there over xmas, it was ok at the start of the week but there were really high winds just before new year that took lots of the snow off, it was full of rocks when it was open.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fi G, I guess you have to do it just so you know not to bother...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
martski, not the most exciting run....but the restaurant on the right at the bottom (name escapes me) does a fabulous lunch! Very cold in the morning when the sun hasn't quite reached down to them though....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
homphomp, I do remember seeing it but was more intent on getting back uo the mountain and away from the bottom of that valley, did look nice though...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i actually think the Sarenne is a great run if you forget about the black rating. OK, the run out isn't all that exciting but it's only 5mins or so and pleasant enough beetling along next to a stream. the main run, with good snow is a blast, and a long blast at that, with great views and a real mountain ambience

if you're expecting the Face de Bellevard but 16km long, you're being a bit unrealistic i would suggest
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fi G,

I'm off to ADH on the 10th too with the better half and kids , where you staying?

I did the Sarenne last year and IMHO it's only the access to the run which makes its black, with no way out once your committed your going all the way, very enjoyable and hard on the legs if you like the burn Toofy Grin

The Tunnel is worth doing but is full of bumps, although I've been 3 years on the trot I still haven't explored very far as my kids started to ski the first year we went ,so have only covered the main bowl. This will change this year as they are now 8 and 10 and hopefully going for there bronze badge this year, reds and bumps

I think the girls are in for a shock Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all of your input everyone. We'll see how it goes. It's more for the tick on the list than anything else - I'm sure there are other runs around the resort that are heaps better. All the fun of trying a new resort every time we go!

Curtains - we're staying in a chalet near the DMC with Neilson - Lac Blanc 2 - I'm going with a group of 12 others ranging from good skiers through to newbies (and 2 boarders... rolling eyes ).

Good luck with your girls - I was skiing at that age and loved it but then I did have a rather competitive older brother who pushed me down those runs for a sport!

p.s. having had an operation on my foot 10 weeks ago, perhaps the burn isn't something I should try right now! Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You need to do the Sarenne with "the fear" that it will be 16km of ultra-black hell...... that adds the necessary adrenaline which is exacerbated when you get to the top which is invariably windswept, clogged with people wary of setting off and which does look pretty tough for the first few 100 metres. Then its a joyous relief when the final 15km turn out to be a pleasant sightseeing stroll.

I agree on the restauarant at the bottom - very nice.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, I find it quite dull for a long piste. The last bit is quite long and always clogged up with snowboarders sat on their rear-ends or beginners snowploughing right from side to side meaning it's difficult to keep enough speed to get to the bottom without poling, no matter how high up you bomb it from before the bridge. A far better non-stop pisted run IMHO is the tunnel/chocards then rousses/chalets/la fare down to Vaujany.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i quite like the isolation of the Sarenne compared with coming down the front, plus you have the views of la meije and the ecrins.

for me, i wouldn't really choose either - lots more interesting off-piste opportunities
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, I agree with you, that it is a pleasant run and if you are there it would be a shame not to do it. It does give the feeling of "wilderness" because you are around the back of the mountain and if you are lucky like we were the second time we did it, there was a feeling of remoteness too because for some strange re Toofy Grin ason it was very quiet. What am I saying.....we did it when every french person was at lunch!!!!
snow report
More importantly than doing it is when you do it in my opinion. Early in the week (Monday or Tuesday) and during lunch is the best, but certainly not too late in the week. Later in the week it gets far too busy, the snow's condition get far worse and if there hasn't been any recent snow some of it can get swept and/or slushy.
latest report
I'ts been closed due to poor snow at the bottom, loads of little rocks exposed which is quite common. Agree its not a challenging ski but it sure beats working! Back out there again in 2 weeks, can't wait!
snow conditions
Hi
Was there for New Year and it didn't open the whole week, though there was loads of snow elsewhere. The rep said it was closed due to the high winds they'd had the weekend before, it had blown all the snow away. I was gutted as I'd been too chicken to ski it the year before but was all ready to do it this time (honest!!!!!....)
snow conditions
Top bit over the side is fun... and steep...
Forget the main route down
latest report
Just back from ADH. The sarenne is still closed but me and my mates gave it a go anyway. Its in poor condition and not really worth a trip. We just did it to say we did the 16km run. Only the top 2km or so is really a black. The majority is a long cruiser. Le Tunnel is a different story, that was a challenge!! Shocked
snow report
dont bring your own skiis down this run!!!!! the snow is brutal!!
latest report
I to have just got back. Waited all week for it to open but it didnt so we decided to go down it on the friday anyway. As with previous comments i wouldnt take my own skis down. When we returned our hired skis they asked us if we had skiied down the road in them they were so bad. The run itself was ok, prefered the runs rousses/chalets/la fare down to Vaujany and the others down to Oz!! They were good skiing in the afternoon when the sun had got round!
ski holidays
Hi Can anyone tell me if the Sarenne run is now open? Thanks
snow report
Cant say for sure but im 99% sure it is closed. snow is not good enough on the run and they dont seem to be grooming it.
snow report
Quote:

i wouldnt take my own skis down. When we returned our hired skis they asked us if we had skiied down the road in them they were so bad.

You may wish to make some connection between this and the fact that it was closed, perhaps. rolling eyes
snow report
I was in Alpe d'Huez last w/end - the main problem with Sarenne being closed is that all the ambitious intermediates who want to "do a black" clog up the Tunnel. Would've been a nice run without hordes of near-beginners side-slipping from mogul to mogul. Can't they operate some sort of entry gate to at least restrict access to a few users at a time? I had to queue in a side-slipping snake for about 10 minutes just to get onto the run from the tunnel exit. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Arno wrote:
i actually think the Sarenne is a great run if you forget about the black rating. OK, the run out isn't all that exciting but it's only 5mins or so and pleasant enough beetling along next to a stream. the main run, with good snow is a blast, and a long blast at that, with great views and a real mountain ambience

if you're expecting the Face de Bellevard but 16km long, you're being a bit unrealistic i would suggest

Agreed. It`s a lovely run. If you get a chance to do it. do so.

It was closed over NY because the winds had scoured the upper slopes leaving lots of rocks exposed. There hasn`t been mich snow since the NY so I guess that`s compounded the problem.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy