Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heli Skiing recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
Sadly not for me but a friend of mine was thinking of this for her husband. who is a former instructor so pretty good skier..

Has any one got any recommendations of companies preferabely one you have used?

I would say europe or canada would be best as when I said I hear they do it in Kamchaka she said that was too far.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A friend went Heli skiing in Canada and only had nice things to say about the trip but I'm afraid I can't remember who he went with, I suspect that in europe the potential trips will be far less interesting
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cfc5mu0, some of the best and least expensive heli-skiing in Europe is in the Espace San Bernardo, from either La Rosiere in France or La Thuile in Italy. The Ruitor glacier route is rated as one of the best off-piste descents, over 20 kms, in the world. Ther are also a number of shorter descents, you can find more information on www.larosiere.net just follow the links to ski schools, both the ESF and Evo2 offer guiding with qualified high mountain guides.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cfc5mu0, Monterosa... organised/co-ordinated by the Hotel Dufor...discuss what you want to do with the guide and hope the snow pack isn't too wind-blown or take the more accpeted routes..but there will be lots of Scandi competition ..but then it is a massive ridge. probably run out at 300schf a day, per head if you do it on an ad-hoc daily basis.

Many heli-ski companies in Canada has a few places which can be picked up late ..but you still have to get over there. Budget around 4000$c, I'd guess..for 4-5 days

Register and they will 'spam' you pretty often with offers to make up numbers.

I am not in the office so I can't recall the companies...but there are a few you can goggle and contact
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great info thanks keep them coming..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cfc5mu0, Cervinia has 4 stock routes that used to run by the guys from the Hotel Piolet..IIRCC...and a trip down the Monterosa glacier was one of them.. You only have to get back into the Cervinia lift sys which makes it an easy day. As oppsed to the Monterosa run from Gressoney which is 65km with a 20km rat run descent down to the Champlouc side. It is a long day.

Not sure if this is still the band of brothers that ran out from the Piolet..but looks good
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.heliskicervinia.com/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dheli%2Bski%2Bcervinia%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4PBEA_en-GBGB294GB294
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If he's a really good skier, from what I've heard (but sadly not experienced) he might find a typical heliskiing day a bit too easy. The sort of people who can pay £500 a day don't tend to be hardcore skiers, and the guides tend to take them down flattering routes...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kramer wrote:
If he's a really good skier, from what I've heard (but sadly not experienced) he might find a typical heliskiing day a bit too easy. The sort of people who can pay £500 a day don't tend to be hardcore skiers, and the guides tend to take them down flattering routes...

i think there is an element of truth in this (again not from experience) but it depends what you want. buzzing around in a heli is cool (I do have experience of that) and flattering powder runs are also pretty cool.
i did some cat skiing last season which was a lot of fun in the deepest powder i have experienced. nothing very steep and not a lot of vertical (about the equivalent of skiing La Grave from top to bottom) but still fun.

that said, if you want to do a lot of vertical on challenging terrain, you'd be better off hiring a guide at La Grave
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agree with Monterosa - try these guys : http://www.monterosa.com/Tripsandtravels/Heliski/tabid/57/Default.aspx They offer some quite hairy stuff. Otherwise if money no object try CMH of Canada
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
.......hmmm.. typically..?? sure, the slope you get to ski might just be a nice pitch away from the madding crowd but I don't know many who would get so pissed off with that...

altho.................... you can direct your guide and ask him what he'd suggest...maybe you have seen something etc etc There would be quite a lot of questions coming back if he doesn't know how you ski..and of course, this isn't a time to talk yourself up but it needn't be too easy.

It probably would work out that the 1st time you pair up with a guide, he will be conservative....bar-room talk and all that... and he doesn't want to invite trouble, but then he will take you to places that suit or scare or enthrall.

Foe example... most glacier runs..like the typical Monterosa, is just a long day out but if you vary the drops away from the Lyksamm, you can see some great lines that someone has heli'd to... The heli wouldn't just drop anyone there without knowing they could handle it for sure.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer, don't think that's always true, IIRC there ere Canadian heli-parties on SCGB holidays - or which a very high standard of skiing was demanded. The cost was eye-watering, mind.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The guys at monterosa.com do the Marinelli couloir, not something I'd describe as straight forward ! Sustained 45 degree slopes and 2500m long - out of my league anyway
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just depends what your group is like, some companies demand lined turns powder 8 style others have a bit of a different attitude (from my limited research). If you are looking for /teh gnar\ then Alaska is the place for him. It is probably worth while looking about for yourself to see where you get a good vibe from or search the net for people with actual experience of the different ops rather than getting advice from people who dont have experience of different heli ski ops-like most of us.

Personally I would pitch into Revelstoke and combine Heli/Cat/Resort skiing, if the conditions are too grim for the heli to fly (down days happen quite a lot) they can throw you in a cat for some tree skiing,
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just depends what your group is like, some companies demand lined turns powder 8 style others have a bit of a different attitude (from my limited research). If you are looking for /teh gnar\ then Alaska is the place for him. It is probably worth while looking about for yourself to see where you get a good vibe from or search the net for people with actual experience of the different ops rather than getting advice from people who dont have experience of different heli ski ops-like most of us.

Personally I would pitch into Revelstoke and combine Heli/Cat/Resort skiing, if the conditions are too grim for the heli to fly (down days happen quite a lot) they can throw you in a cat for some tree skiing,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have helied in the Val Veni (backside of Mt Blanc)
and Valgresenche (further down the Aosta valley) Ruitor etc.

All very nice, the runs were nice and long and the scenery lovely but the runs were easy.

I have alo done some catskiing in BC and although painfully slow on the Ups the terrain was super fun, steep tree shots all days... Laughing

As someone suggested hiring a Guide out of La Grave was way better, plenty of Gnar to get your teeth into..

Depends if you want the skiing over the luxury package type of thing?

If I had the cash I would go to Points North Heli in the Chugach, Alaska.......
ski holidays
I heliskiied with Canadian Mountain Holidays (CMH) in the Gothics lodge in the 2006/2007 season for a week. The area the helicopter has to itself is staggering, with different weather climates everywhere it was pretty certain we'd get sun and perfect snow every run.

There are 2 excellent guides on every run and it's not unusual for the helicopter to be waiting for you at the bottom. When I was out there I think we managed to average about 10 lifts a day, with a good lunch served on the mountain as well.

All in all I couldn't recommend it more, the guides listened to what and where you wanted to see and we always accommodating. The staff in the lodge were more then friendly and the general atmosphere couldn'tve been better.
latest report
Hi there. My friend runs this company out in Val d'Isere.

There are first class.

Hope this helps.

Kev. Very Happy

http://www.medianeige.com/Bazu/index2.php
snow report
Another vote for CMH
ski holidays
Thanks all decent advice..I shall pass on this link...
snow conditions
cfc5mu0, have done two weeks with TLH - one was awesome, one was almost completely a washout. Chums are going (back) to Turkey and CMH-Galina this year. Saw last year's Galina pics last night, amazingly good snow. But it's not guaranteed.
snow report
Try Snowwater they have been great. I've had 4 visits and enjoyed each one. They have both cat and heli on offer. Downside is they aren't as easy to get to as other operators.
snow conditions
Nowadays, Heli-skiing has gone so commercial it has really defeated it original purpose.
Years ago you would go with a one guide and (max) 3 skiers.
Most operations now take 1 guide and 8-10 skiers even more in some places.

I think it just become like ski school but for folk who have

1. never been in a helicopter
2. never graduated from the piste Very Happy

My advice is. Always check out the crowd (ability) your be skiing with otherwise your be spending €/$/£ just standing around .

So look carefully..
ski holidays
cfc5mu0, oh, yes, also pass on www.heliskiing.co.uk - run by an acquaintance of mine.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 12-01-09 11:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
cfc5mu0, I've been heliskiing in Canada, New Zealand, Italy and Switzerland. As others have said it's a much more commercial operation now than it used to be. My first trip to Canada was a bit of a farce as we were in a twelve seat helicopter, in a large mixed ability group and although we had some good skiing it really didn't justify the expense. I then did a few trips in Switzerland with Warren Smith http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/heliski/heliski.htm which was much more like it - group of four, all friends of similar level, plus Warren, the guide and Melody our tour photographer. Since then I've always ensured I was skiing with people I knew as I think it's the only way to get the best out of the day. As to getting bored with the skiing - doesn't happen. Decent guide will always match terrain to skier's ability and even if the skiing is 'easy' then the scenery and the whole experience makes up for it
snow report
If your two choices are somewhere in Canada and somewhere in Europe, I would definitely choose Canada (and I grew up in Verbier, switzerland)! Alps heliskiing can be great - but it is very hit and miss, that and you don't get the same sort of "all inclusive" packages you get in Canada (with the accommodation, food etc..) The places in Canada are set up to do one thing, Heliskiing, where as the heliski opportunities in the Alps are set up to accommodate one off heli day trips with guides when the conditions are right.

Don't get me wrong - heliskiing in the alps can be an awesome experience (I have a flight or two a year in the alps), but it is a totally different experience to a proper full week of heliskiing that you can find in Canada.

I've put together a list off all the heliskiing locations in Canada and the Alps at http://www.heliskipowder.com
snow conditions
It can,t get any cheaper than this http://www.helinordadventure.com/ Blush
Best season for heliskiing is in March to April due to best weather conditions for helicopters.
However if you like to take a chance, February would be the best snow vice and during the
days of heavy snowfall the ski system will keep you happy (grooming isn't a priority in Kittelfjäll!
Razz )
ski holidays
If Europe you can't go wrong with http://www.tarentaise-tours.com/welcome you can access Petit San Bernard and Val Grisanche via Ste Foy , but on Bad weather days you have Ste Foy , Val, Tignes or Les Arcs on your doorstep for tree skiing . The above company is run by the wife of the Head guide at the Guides office who control the heli flights to and from the area . I have been using these guys for the last 12 years they are excellent ,they can also take you to Cervina and Italian side of Mont Blanc , I bet you didn't know its possible to heliski off the back of Mont Blanc and ski nearly all the way to Bourg st Maurice .
snow conditions
My husband went in Canada about 10 years ago with i think it was Purcell? It was when we were staying in Banff. He was boarding rather than skiing and said it was utterly amazing. I knew I wasn't good enough at that point to justify the cost
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thread necro for advertising / Search engine purposes I'd guess.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy