Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance for X days a season. Catches?

Poster: A snowHead
I have been looking at insurance options for a trip to Tahoe and was wondering about possibly season cover based on x days for the season.

However a potential snag is dawning on me. If you take out a travel policy that say insures you for 21 days skiing in the season, obviously my intention is that would be for days skiing not in the UK.

However I fear this could be a potential insurance company stinker of a get out clause, oh but you skied 21days in Scotland so that invalidates your cover. There doesn't appear to be details in small print that excludes skiing in the UK from the quota of days.

Any insurance experts or legal eagles or anyone with past experience got any views on this. I'm very wary about insurance these days after planning a second season in Kirkwood a few years ago discovered that I probably wasn't insured the first season I did because of the altitude I was living at up in Kirkwood! Shocked

Ta in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Assuming you didn't make a claim during your 21 days in Scotland, how could they possibly know?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would have to agree with Telford Mike here.

I have always wondered though, if you injure yourself in Britain - Skiing at snowdome, rockclimbing or just plain walking in an area of britain that is not your home, would you not still be covered by the NHS and as such would not need to use your travel insurance????
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Annehillskiing, I wouldn't be using the insurance in the UK. My concern is clauses that you are covered for snowsports upto say 21 days, but your cover is voided if you ski more than that in a year, could an insurance company try and avoid a payout (within 21 days of skiing overseas) on the basis that your total number of days skied including those in the UK exceeded the quota?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Winterhighland, Ask them. Or, write a covering letter when you take out the insurance, saying that your understanding is that the insurance will cover you for 21 days skiing in the US, and will not be affected by your intention to ski in Scotland during the season. Explain that this understanding is "of the essence of the contract" and ask them to let you know immediately if this is not the case. Keep a copy of the letter....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Will do, or may go for a trip specific policy, avoids some of these potential pitfalls.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would do what pam w said, get it from them in writing that the 21 days only include those that you require cover for, i.e. outside of the UK.

D
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just thought i'd let people know this... if you didn't already.

I have a NatWest advantage gold bank account... this gives me year round travel insurance for free including snowsports (including off piste last time i was away). It also includes many other benefits that make the £12 per month a steal... like Green Flag assistance, cheap flights, holidays, and more. But the travel insurance is the best bit.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shoogly, I looked at a similar offer from First Direct, but looking at the small print, although it covered off piste skiing, it had to be with a qualified guide.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Winterhighland,

You have probably seen this other thread but if not have a look as it covers some similar gnarly insurance issues:

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46827
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Annehillskiing, travel insurance doesn't cover activities undertaken in your usual country of residence. You are deemed still to be at home.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
direct travel - up to 21 days per TRIP not per season - they can't be the only one.

lizzard - mine does as long as i have at least two nights accommodation or return travel spanning at least 2 days. At least it did last time i checked.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Winterhighland, When I used to play rugby my sport's insurance covered me for skiing in the UK but not overseas.
I don't play rugby at the moment so don't have that any more.

My annual travel insurance covers me for unlimited number of days skiing as long as I return home once every 21days (I thought it was 21 days total but it is 21 days per trip - when I renewed this year I double checked- I'm with AXA)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I chatted to a Dog Tag rep at a show last year I enquirered about the number of days skiing on the policy. He actually said in more or less as many words that unless you make a claim every trip there is really no way the insurance company could actually know how many days you had really spent skiing. So I guess you could take a chance if you decided that you felt lucky.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote:
When I chatted to a Dog Tag rep at a show last year I enquirered about the number of days skiing on the policy. He actually said in more or less as many words that unless you make a claim every trip there is really no way the insurance company could actually know how many days you had really spent skiing. So I guess you could take a chance if you decided that you felt lucky.

Depends if you break a leg on the first trip and then try to claim cancellation costs for the remaining trips that season. I normally do about 4 trips, which are all booked by the time the first one actually happens, so if something happens on that first trip....

This year we are insured with Fogg: at about £20 more expensive (for annual cover) than some others, but the policy limit is more than the days I'm skiing this year. For £20 (4 beers!) I think it's worth it.
ski holidays
Lizzard, a.j., my travel insurance covers me provided that I'm at least 20 miles from my usual place of residence - I don't think an overnight stay is essential, though.
latest report
Winterhighland wrote:

However a potential snag is dawning on me. If you take out a travel policy that say insures you for 21 days skiing in the season, obviously my intention is that would be for days skiing not in the UK.

However I fear this could be a potential insurance company stinker of a get out clause, oh but you skied 21days in Scotland so that invalidates your cover. There doesn't appear to be details in small print that excludes skiing in the UK from the quota of days.

Ta in advance.

My policy states cover is outside of the uk and each journey must start from the uk. The only exclusion would be to go from one country to another to partake in winter sports because each trip must be from the uk (meaning there would be no option to nip from France to Spain or Austria to Switzerland or whatever). Taking part in winter sports (of any description) while in the uk is not mentioned, I'm assuming it's because I bought 'travel insurance' & not 'winter sports' insurance.
snow conditions
ihi.com does travel insurance that will cover you medically for any length of trip and includes wintersports - it's calculated per day and includes repatriation to the UK if necessary.
snow report
As exhaustively covered in another thread, I gave up on Dog Tag because (despite the intervention on Snowheads of one of their people) they would provide no clear explanation of how their off piste cover worked in Europe (the wording is only relevant in North America).
snow conditions
Hi
I live in Spain and am going skiing to Andorra next week. I want a 4 day insurance for recovery off the piste and liablility insurance only. I don't need baggage, travel, personal belongings etc.etc Any suggestions?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy