Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which to choose - versatile high speed piste ski...?

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking for a ski to use only on piste (groomed runs - blue, red and black).

So I am looking for people with experience with one or more of the skis, that I am looking at.

I am looking mainly at 3 different skis:

Fischer RX8 Fire
Atomic SX10
Dynamic VR 21

The ski must be able to make both short and long turns - and be stable at high speeds...

I believe the Dynamic should be the most versatile ski (it is a category "Cross ski"). Also the Dynamic has tested very well (VIP-ski) at http://www.skimagazin.de/Skitest.html - 2008, saison 08/09, category High Performance, Medium Turns. But in general I do not know anything about Dynamic skis.

I am afraid the Fischer RX8 will not be as versatile as the Fischer RX8 Fire (radius 13m at 165 cm) will be difficult to make long turns on, and that the speed limit will be too low.

Atomic - is the SX10 considered a ski for advanced/expert skiers ? I am afraid, that it will not be able to cope with the speed and energy ?

I am a level 8/9/10 skier and weigh around 180 and around 6"0 high.

Which ski would you recommend ??? - and what length ???

Hoping for some answers and assistance Happy

BR,
Thomas
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ladefoged86, I would pick none of the above for you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
had the sx10s last weekend - LOVED them, I am pretty heavy (95kilos/) which I find makes a difference. They were certainly quick enough, good hardpack grip and a nice kickback bounce when pushed. I also had a (very brief) run on the RX8 which felt pretty similar to be honest but it was only one 100yard stretch. Test them is my advice though - i never find any correlation between skis I like and those recommended to me!

FYI I am not exactly sport skier of the year - I'm generally pretty laid back when skiing and a red run cruiser. I did see plenty of much more professional looking folks on the sx10's - but we were in skiamade about 10mins from the atomic factory so might be just a case of people riding the easiest thing to get hold of!

aj xx
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get something much stiffer than any on your short list. I'd go for a race department slalom ski (will be much easier to do long radius turns on a slalom ski than it will be to do short radius turns on a GS ski).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ladefoged86, a 'cheater' non-race-stock GS ski like a Salomon 2V or an Atomic GS12PB in something like a 180cm should be ideal for you. More versatile than a pure-bred race-stock GS ski but you don't lose too much performance.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, snap i applaud your honesty Toofy Grin ladefoged86, welcome to snowheads, buck up and get some good race skis
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
ladefoged86, a 'cheater' non-race-stock GS ski like a Salomon 2V or an Atomic GS12PB in something like a 180cm should be ideal for you. More versatile than a pure-bred race-stock GS ski but you don't lose too much performance.

Too much like hard work to do short radius turns?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, can always go a little shorter if necessary. The Atomic has a turn radius of 19m at 180cm which isn't that large and will be more fun for cruising/longer radius turns than a SL ski. I don't know about you but while I have no stability problems at high speed on them I sometimes find my SL skis a little too turny.

ladefoged86, make sure you add a good race slalom ski as well as a cheater GS ski to your models to test.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sideshow_Bob, I've never reached the speed limit of my slalom skis, and I agree they can be a bit too turny if you don't ski them well, but I really struggle to make short turns on my GS skis (older style r21). I can only do it by pivoting the top of the turn a little, and that's a bit tiring and frustrating for me. I just can't get enough edge angle to get them making tighter turns.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
I agree they can be a bit too turny if you don't ski them well

Oi!

Quote:
I really struggle to make short turns on my GS skis (older style r21). I can only do it by pivoting the top of the turn a little, and that's a bit tiring and frustrating for me. I just can't get enough edge angle to get them making tighter turns.

Mine are 21s too and I have to put more work into driving them through the turn, but I can make them turn reasonably tightly without too much pivoting. A non-stock ski would also be slightly softer and easier to do it on. Remember the quoted radius is the theoretical maximum radius you can carve a turn on the ski, ie you shouldn't be able to carve turns of radius of 30m on a 21m ski without some manipulation/standing flat.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
Oi!
I speak from much personal experience Wink

Sideshow_Bob wrote:
]Remember the quoted radius is the theoretical maximum radius you can carve a turn on the ski, ie you shouldn't be able to carve turns of radius of 30m on a 21m ski without some manipulation/standing flat.

I didn't know that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, i did does that mean i pass my 2 teach ? (sorry drunken posting tonight)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, i did does that mean i pass my 2 teach ? (sorry drunken posting tonight)

Yes, I'll issue you with a pass. Just tell your Trainer. I'm sure he'll agree with me Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, yep for carved turns maximum radius you can carve is ski radius
....................OTOH for steered turns you can steer/schmeer shorter or longer than the stated radius....

ladefoged86, versatile and high speed.... well depending how high speed you mean by high speed...
I use a GS ski most days now... but I need to work a bit for short turns on them... and I'm not enough of a speed freak(yet) to handle the really high edge angles I'd need to tighten the turn a lot... so I like my SL skis for short turn work... and a cheater GS if I'm working on bumps/trees or in a tighter course...

I guess if you want FAST - then you want a SG or DH ski.... me I don't yet want to go that fast... (and don't have the skills)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ladefoged86, Atomic SX OK for fun but if you want to go faster choose their GS. Always found them grippy, quick between edges and very happy to go straight as fast as you want with no complaints (haven't tried anything new for a year, mind you).

IMHO, it's easier to turn a GS short than a SL long, IF you're carving that is. If you're skidding/scraping/whatever then you can turn as often as you like, but for me it's using the edges that puts the stoopid grin on my face Very Happy
ski holidays
you have to try them, find a test centre ski them back to back and see which you prefer. IMO you cant have a ski thats good for short and long turns is one or the other or they are too soft.

My skis?

Vokl Race Tiger because of the name Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy