Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many people ask pisteurs for advice about off-piste snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Prompted by an item in the latest HAT newsletter I was wondering how many people ask local pisteurs about snow conditions before they head off piste? I've not done it myself, but have been with groups who do ask a few questions if they are unsure of conditions. I should get into the habit of asking about conditions, but I'm unsure of what a typical response would be, especially as I won't be able to converse in their language.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very occasionally.
Of course there is usually no point in simply asking "is xxx safe to ski at the moment".
However they are happy to anwer more general or more nuanced questions if you say you are thinking of skiing somewhere.
For example concerning danger level or particular current dangers (wind crust caused by winds from the South West, for example) or to tell the which are generally the more dangerous slopes or which have been bombed .
If somewhere is very or moderately dangerous they will probably volunteer the fact, but in cases of lower danger levels, unless you are hiring a guide, you will be left to make the final decision about skiing it. If you seem totally ignorant they might just warn you off everything since they will always play very safe with visitors.
Some lift attenants may not know enough to feel they can advise or feel it is not their job and may just say everywhere is dangerous.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 8-01-09 21:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The trouble is of course that if they don't know your level / knowledge / risk-taking they'll be tempted to be very conservative with their advice. (I would).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi horizon, I'm off on Saturday - I'll see you a week after I gather Very Happy

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 8-01-09 21:09; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep - have a good trip! Fingers crossed for some new snow...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Very good snow depths in the Dolomites! Perhaps we won't hit rocks so often this time wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, I have been known to - and have bene given good advice. But then, I don't ask about known avalanche drains on a grade 5 day...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yes - best to ask general questions about wind strength/direction, formation of slabs, that sort of thing

my french is pretty poor but "plaques de vent sur exposition [insert direction]?" gets the message across even if it isn't good french (maybe it is, i don't know!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I applaude anyone who feels confident enough in their French to burst into a Pisteurs hut, interupt their coffee and ask about conditions and actually understand anything more than "good" bad or closed... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, I'd just admire anyone who feels confident enough to burst into the Pisteurs hut and interupt their coffee break Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As horizon said.. can't see them say 'go for it' as it could come back to them.

You need to be able to have a degree of confidence about what you doing... and if in doubt, don't go.

We recently had a couple of ski patrollers in Tignes follow us..we had a brief chat with them telling us not to ski into the small lake...which looked like a depression with all the snow.............. and then they poached our lines.... Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT wrote:
can't see them say 'go for it' as it could come back to them.
I agree. Here's what HAT had to say
Quote:
Where you go and when? - try and ask the piste patrol!
We recommend you make an assessment of the snow conditions and review of the avalanche safety bulletin and understand the weather patterns over the past week. Then you will come up with some ideas about where you might find good snow conditions.

One of the simplest ways to challenge or validate your ideas is to ask the piste patrol. I triedn this three times today and yet again found it invaluable. The trick however is what you ask and how you ask.

Asking them where to find the best snow and you will be met by a gallic shrug. It depends what you want.

Instead try to ask the piste patrol at the top of the lift near to where you think you want to go. They are local and should know the immediate conditions. Tell them where you want to go and ask if they think it is OK. They will not give you carte blanche. They will first remind you it is off piste and you must be careful and should be well prepared and skilled. They will remind you it is risky. However I have found there are three typical responses.

1. It is dangerous the risk is high of an avalanche
2. There is not enough snow it is hazardous or not nice
3. There are risks but it is OK if you are well prepared and accept the risk.

When they say it is risky, I ask them is just "normal" danger or "very dangerous". This allows them to describe the danger and signals that you accept the risk. It also allows them to give you permission to go because we have all agreed it can be dangerous and caution is required. They will never say it is totally safe.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, Laughing Laughing ya mugs wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, as they demonstrated their fluid powder turns, I secretly wanted them to demonstrate how to get a wet ski patroller out of a lake Skullie
latest report
They can be very helpful if they wish, but not always. Need to ask specific questions about a route if you want a good response I have found.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy