Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poiana Brasov

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone been to Romania recently? If so what is it like? What's the snow like? Is the resort fully open as I've seen on a website that only 50% is open.....

Any tips or recomnedations would be great!

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi. Till now the slopes are very bad. I've been there twice this year and there were many stones and ice on the slopes. Anyway the resort is very good, longest run is around 3 km and the good thing is that you have offpiste runs also. Ski pass is around 100 RON (Romanian currency) per day equivalent of 30 euro.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks alexv, it will be my first time snowboarding, I chose Romania because we got such a great deal with lessons, passes, equipment hire and accomodation for really good value rather than paying for everything individually.

for a first time snowboarder will this be ok?

When did you go?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lift pass 30 euros a day for about 15km of piste??!! Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That is expensive!! I paid for 3 days snowboard tutition, equipment hite and lift passes for £80....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
and that's for two people for a week!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Went about five years ago as a beginner and the ski school is very good although slopes limited. Would suggest it is a good place to learn and is cheap for food and drink. Worth going to nearby Brasov for a night out. The outskirts of the town are old communist style archietecture but ignore that and the centre is really worth getting to.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jode_123 wrote:
Has anyone been to Romania recently? If so what is it like? What's the snow like? Is the resort fully open as I've seen on a website that only 50% is open.....

Any tips or recomnedations would be great!

Thanks

Hello Jode 123

I've been keeping an eye on P.B. as I am going tomorrow 18/01. As of yesterday the slopes were very bare but Hallelujah........ today it has started snowing. I have been watching these live cams:

http://www.ski-in-romania.com/webcams.php

It seems that the very bare patches have covered now. Also the other web cams are interesting. Especially the close to the piste ones. Good fun to watch.

It hopefully will snow for the next 24 hours and it is forecast that there will be snow of varying intensity over the next seven days. I am staying in the Hotel Sport Ana. I will let you know what it was like when I get back.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey palumbex, i'm glad someone is also going to the same resort!!!! You'll have to let me know how it is!

Thanks for the site, I had been looking at a webcam on another site and noticed that it was snowing and is predicted snow for the next 5 days...brill!!!

I'm staying at the Sport too! You'll have to let me know what it's like. Is it your first time skiing/boarding or you an experienced one?!

Thanks!
Jodie
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
an WOW thanks for that site - it's the best yet Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jode_123 wrote:
an WOW thanks for that site - it's the best yet Very Happy

This is fun:

http://www.360cities.net/image/poiana-brasov-funicular
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes Jodie I will be skiing. Snowboarding has passed me by. I've never even had a skateboard, I don't think I could manage. I have been skiing a few times before but not for twenty five years although I did ski in the Dubai Ski Dome this year and found that you do not forget how to to do it. Falling hurts a lot more than it used to though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok so I'm back. Really had a great time. Transfer was about three hours. Time flew as I had a good book with me. Mini bus was not really comfortable and the safety belts didn't work, a major flaw in my opinion.
Got to hotel very late and had a steak dinner served to us at. Very nice. Rooms are quiet large as are the bathrooms. Beds not very comfortable. No kettle in the rooms, we took our own. No hairdryers either. Towel rack in bathroom and radiator in bedroom so plenty of drying space. Loads of hot water all day for showers or bath.
Breakfast very good. Cereal, bread/toast, hot food, cold cuts,cheese, croissants (plain,chocolate etc.) Various teas and good coffee. All buffet style.
Ski equipment was fine. I don't know modern it is but it was comfortable and the hire shop is in the hotel so if not happy you can always exchange. Ski locker next to the ski shop.
Ski school very friendly and flexible. We were lucky as it had snowed before we arrived and the piste condition was great for the first couple of days but the weather was very warm and the deterioration was rapid. We skied every day but were limited to the bottom slope for two days. The place needs a huge dump of snow as they do not manage the snow that they get very well.
Free drinks from 4pm in the Bradul bar. The two hotels are connected so you do not have to go outside to get to the Bradul bar. Dinner 7pm to 9pm. I was very happy with the food. Excellent salads and soups. Main courses were simple and tasty. Chicken, fish, pasta, pork, veg, spuds, chips etc. Wine & Bear with meal as much as you like.
Met some really nice people at the hotel and in my ski class. Made for a very relaxed and enjoyable holiday.

OK so if you have any questions you think I may be able to answer........just ask.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi palumbex, glad you had a good time.

I noticed the snow started to detoriate! It's back now though and great forecast for the next week. So hopefully when we go it will be nice and thick. Not too worried about the hotel as we won't be spending much of the time there.

Did you go on any excursions?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not me. I wanted to ski as much as possible. Wife and daughter went to Bran Castle and found it to be very interesting. They also hit Brasov to do some shopping and found it to be well below London prices. Bought some nice cloths & shoes by local designers. The final night ski party is recommended by people who have done it in previous years but we declined due to our early departure on the final day.

One thing. The button lift on the Ruia piste is very dangerous. The cover on the inertia reel which resembles a giant metal beak comes at you at head height. You do not get a warning as it is a self service lift. The first time I used it I thought maybe I was wrong....... the trail of blood on the ground each day proved prophetic. One of my ski class got it in the mouth. Blood, stitches,scar. Not good. Be careful.

Once again, I had a great time. Great for learners. Hotel & food better than expected for price. But the piste is not well maintained or properly managed.
snow report
Thanks, I'll make sure I keep an eye on that!

Was there much snow when you went? Keep an eye on cameras and it looks so patchy. Due to have snow all week, another 30cm plus so I guess that's a good sign...
ski holidays
No, not enough snow but the big problem was the late spring type temperature. Everything melted. There was practically no snow by the last day. 30cm would be great but the sites I check do not even come close to that figure.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Poiana-Brasov/6day/top

You should be fine though. As long as the temperature falls as it should and you have a couple of big snowfalls. My advice....stop checking. You will drive yourself insane worrying about something that is so very unpredictable. Remember, there was very little snow the day before I went and one moderate snowfall kept us skiing all week. Good luck.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy