Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bardonecchia anybody been ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What is the resort like please 3-4 skiers all capable on piste not worried about night life other than a beer or 2.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went around 6 yrs ago over New Year's. From what I recall, it quite a nice little resort although it was struggling with lack of snow so fair number of lifts were closed. Nice runs although bit of a trek from hotels to lifts. Apres wise, only a couple of bars but have vague recollections of one place at the bottom of the village which was good fun (and where I told a super smooth Italian bloke that he 'drank tequila like a girl' - but that's another story). Sorry, not much useful infomation at all really. Still, fond memories..

One thing, have one of the village hot chocolates - more like chocolate pudding!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bedfordblue, We went quite a few years ago and really liked it....the area is quite small and back then you needed to use a bus to get between the various parts, don't know if that is still the case. The village was nice, but as Eeyore says it was very quiet with not much apres to be had.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
double post Embarassed

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 9-01-09 1:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bedfordblue, went 3-4 years back i think.... they were making improvements to some of the facilities for the Turin olympics.
We were there the week before Christmas on a cheap last minute deal. It's the most icy place i've ever skied. I don't think it had snowed sinced the end of October so most of the runs had a skimming of man made snow on top of the ice Shocked As eeyore said most hotels are a bit of a trek from the main base although a hotel was being built there. Free buses run (IIRC) to the lifts and also to a seperate higher ski area which is located on the other side of the motorway.
Not too much nightlife. Town is very quiet during the week. A lot of houses owned by well-to-do types who live in Turin during the week and leg it up the autostrada to Bardonecchia on friday night.
We did find a nice little wine bar up near the church in the old part of town. In a large cellar, very welcoming. Great pizzas in town.(they should be Very Happy ) We ended skiing with a great group of people, a real mixed bunch but all determined to have a good time. We chipped in to hire a minibus one day to go to Montgenevre(sp?) over the border, recent snowfall meant much better conditions there.
Also instruction and gear seemed to be much cheaper than France but this was before sterling went into freefall. We enjoyed ourselves there but a lot of that was down to the people we met. (and a very good ski host). Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bedfordblue, Also meant to add that there were a fair number of drag lifts back then, some of them quite a considerable length. I suspect that this may have improved with the Olympic investment in the area. And some nice tree-lined runs.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went there quite a while ago and it was quite good. It wasn't the best place I've been to, but we did have a fair bit of snow.

We had to get buses to and from the hotel and I remember sprinting in ski boots on thick ice to catch the bus which must have been fairly amusing for onlookers. There are two sides to Bardoneccia and we did try to ski back to the hotel from one side and ended up walking a very long way.

There are only a few bars that I remember and I think I mainly went to the same one as Eeyore is talking about.

There was a very hairy dog that was nicknamed the mayor of Bardonecchia which lived in our hotel and just used to roam the streets whenever it pleased.

On a useful note though, the runs were nice, but the resort wasn't aimed at advanced skiers.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thebronsonite wrote:
On a useful note though, the runs were nice, but the resort wasn't aimed at advanced skiers.

I'd agree with that....I was a relative beginner when we went and still enjoyed most of what was on offer. I do remember a horribly challenging drag lift that seemed to go up the side of a cliff though...scary!....and the horrible drop off the chair lift down a wooden ramp directly towards the restaurant wall at the top of one sector....I probably wouldn't find either of them a problem these days though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Did they ever get to open the planned link to Valfrejus?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother, I'm pretty sure they haven't linked those two resorts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have been twice and liked it - Jafferau side was the better skiing and snow both times, several years apart. Not a mad party town, but a couple of bars and casual restaurants. There is a pretty dull looking bar on the walk back into the town from the bottom of the main pistes/lifts, that had a happy hour apres ski, but can't remember the name sorry. We stayed in apartments the first time which were about 15 minutes walk from the lifts and a hotel (Des Geneys I think) the second time. Nice hotel, old-fashioned decor and service, but pretty good food etc
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bedfordblue, I'n going 7-14 February for the first time!

When you going?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I'n going 7-14 February for the first time!

When you going?

I am not sure we are I am scouting around for Half Term my mate and his daughter can only go then, trying to avoid higher priced resorts but want a decent range of skiing.

Thanks everybody for your help.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bedfordblue, Are you planning a TO trip or DIY...if it's the latter and you've got a car it's just 20mins along the road to Sauze d'Oulx which will give you a great range of skiing but with the lower prices of hotels in Bardonecchia!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went Easter 2005. Severe lack of snow, skiing in the rain. Free pizza nibbles in ski bar at bottom of Olympic Run. Nice town, but a town rather than a ski resort.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy