Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would you ski if insurance didn't cover it?

Poster: A snowHead
Before I came to the UK, insurance was something I never thought about. Travel insurance was what you needed to buy in order to be allowed to get a visa for a certain country.

Fast forward fifteen years and it seems no one (myself included) does anything without being fully insured.

Just wondering - if insurance companies flat-out excluded any form of cover for skiing (unless maybe you used full body armour and skied only on blue/red runs) would you still ski or would you give it up?

Side-question: if only offpiste skiing was excluded, would you give that up?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
of course not! i think that most insurance is a rip-off and prefer to "self insure" (aka just pay for it if i break it/lose it etc)
there are some things where the potential cost is too high (buildings insurance or, in a skiing context, off-piste rescue) or you legally have to have it (car insurance) - these are really the main things i think are worthwhile. if i lose my camera while on holiday - silly me, i'll buy a new one when i have some spare cash

edit: it's also worth drawing a distinction between public liability (ie where you are buying insurance to cover damage you cause to someone else) and personal insurance. i'm much more inclined to have public liability insurance because if i negligently hurt someone else, they should not suffer from my decision not to take insurance
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't ski overseas if rescue and medical costs and personal liability could not be insured. All have the potential to wipe my family out financially if I am not insured.
snow report
 brian
brian
I've skied for years and years in Scotland with no insurance ... but then again we have free piste/mountain rescue, the NHS etc.

Anyway, no, I wouldn't give on or off piste up. Don't really worry about the costs, tbh, it's the potential for agonising death that injects a note of caution in me. Skullie
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would not ski without insurance, although we may have considered doing so in the past. Although we have never skied without insurance, until last week, it was perceived as wasted money. Following my husbands accident in France, many things our insurers covered would have badly dented the finances. The costs of ambulance transfer to hospital, taxis back to Serre Chevalier from Grenoble, hotels near the hospital, rebooked transport home, not to mention business class flights for hubby and accompanying son would have been eye-watering. I still have some expenses to reclaim, such as lift passes, ski hire etc, but much of the cost of the accident is already covered by the insurance. Medical expenses were of course met courtesy of our EHIC cards.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno wrote:
of course not! i think that most insurance is a rip-off and prefer to "self insure" (aka just pay for it if i break it/lose it etc)

And you can afford that if what you break is yourself, to an extent that needs helicopter evacuation and private flight repatriation?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If it wasnt insurable i would still continue to ski, and i would still go off piste if that was excluded. However whilst it is still available i will continue to buy if for the peace of mind and protection that it does offer.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would continue to ski, but I would do so in a careful manner. I like to think that I generally ski fairly carefully anyway, but I'd probably stop taking little risks (like small jumps on the sides of pistes and stuff like that).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't think I'd do any differently from what I do now, while insurance gives peace of mind its more than possible to self insure.

If it came to a life or death situation I think I'd be prepared to be bankrupted by whatever I racked up on the credit cards. Annoying little things like $800 stitches in my nose might however be economised on leading to a bit more scarring wink

I'd be all in favour of policies that dropped all incidental cover e.g. baggage, equipment, snow guarantee bollux in favour of medical/SAR cover over a £500 or £1000 threshold.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney, read my whole post rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, I did.

But you only mentioned "off piste rescue" as a ski activity where the cost is to high, which is not what I was talking of. I have seen a number of helicopter evacuations from on-piste accidents.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wouldn't travel without insurance. At the moment I'm in the position of only being able to travel within the EU and only having medical cover via my EHIC card since it's still less than two years from my cancer treatment so I can only get limited travel insurance medical cover. This isn't really sufficient and I'd certainly not consider going off-piste until I can get full cover again...

However, I've got the peace of mind from the other aspects that are covered by my travel insurance; baggage, flight delays, resort closure, etc...

I think my income protection insurance doesn't pay out in the event of an incapacitating incident off-piste either so I don't think I'll ever be going off-piste unless I can find insurance that does...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, I think you made the key point in your edit. People need insurance to cover their 3rd party liability...if you crash into someone and (worst case) paralyse them then you need to be able to cough up some serious compensation!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't ski without insurance - too risky.

Which is an odd thing to say, as every week I play hockey and cycle which are also both risky activities. Neither of which I have insurance for Puzzled But I suppose I know if I get hurt, then there is no charge for treatment etc
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boris wrote:
I wouldn't ski without insurance - too risky.

Which is an odd thing to say, as every week I play hockey and cycle which are also both risky activities. Neither of which I have insurance for Puzzled But I suppose I know if I get hurt, then there is no charge for treatment etc

Yes. When talking about personal injury, there is a huge difference in the cost of risk if you are already in your home country to that if you are abroad.

Although I would still be slightly wary of mountain biking or skiing even in the UK, without insurance that would cover helicopter evacuation.
snow report
I definitely need my income protection insurance for things like mountain biking, etc. in the UK. If have an accident and cannot work as a result, I don't get paid...
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
Arno, I did.

But you only mentioned "off piste rescue" as a ski activity where the cost is to high, which is not what I was talking of. I have seen a number of helicopter evacuations from on-piste accidents.

i wasn't aware that the ejusdem generis rule applied to posts on internet forums
snow report
alex_heney, do we have to pay for that in the UK? I thought Mountain Rescue et al were all free services (albeit funded by donations etc.).

D
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
Arno, I did.

i wasn't aware that the ejusdem generis rule applied to posts on internet forums

It applies to anything where it appears to apply.

But I have no idea why you think it relevant here.

If you were NOT excluding on-piste risks, then you could not possibly have meant the first three words of your post ("of course not!").

The clear imlpication of that phrase and the following sentence was that you would continue to ski because you felt able to "self insure". I was querying whether you really could afford to pay for the outcome in a situation which can occur even ion "normal" skiing.
snow report
Quote:

Although I would still be slightly wary of mountain biking or skiing even in the UK, without insurance that would cover helicopter evacuation.

Why? A&E, RAF SAR, 999 ambulance, mountain rescue, ski patrol etc None of these are going to want to see the colour of your money before treating you. Emergency & medical care is free at point of access in the UK. We've already paid for it (the original point of NIC's, now they are just another tax).

Income protection is completely different.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 8-01-09 14:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Deliaskis wrote:
alex_heney, do we have to pay for that in the UK? I thought Mountain Rescue et al were all free services (albeit funded by donations etc.).

D

"Normal" Mountain rescue certainly provide their services free to those who need them.

I'm not so sure about things beyond what they can provide (such as helicopter rescue), although you may well be right.
ski holidays
Helicopter rescue is done by RAF/RN Sea Kings. They use evacs as training & don't want to see your credit card.
latest report
Air ambulance is a free charity.

Many a hunter has been rescued after falling off his horse by the air ambulance - even in the Home Counties. Many - if not virtually all - hunts make annual donations to the local air ambulance. Well worth thinking about.
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
Arno wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
Arno, I did.

If you were NOT excluding on-piste risks, then you could not possibly have meant the first three words of your post ("of course not!").

The clear imlpication of that phrase and the following sentence was that you would continue to ski because you felt able to "self insure". I was querying whether you really could afford to pay for the outcome in a situation which can occur even ion "normal" skiing.

why does everything have to be a pi55ing match?

anyway, how about you post what you think rather than trying to pick holes in other peoples' posts?
ski holidays
skisimon wrote:
I would continue to ski, but I would do so in a careful manner. I like to think that I generally ski fairly carefully anyway, but I'd probably stop taking little risks (like small jumps on the sides of pistes and stuff like that).

No risk taking was involved in Julian's accident, he was most likely hit by an unknown person on a blue piste, and was not skiing at speed.
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
I definitely need my income protection insurance for things like mountain biking, etc. in the UK. If have an accident and cannot work as a result, I don't get paid...
Interesting point. However, my husbands accident would not allow me to make a claim on my own income protection insurance, and for complicated reasons it has affected my income by about 25%.
ski holidays
Most ski bums in the US don't have insurance and it doesn't stop them.
snow report
Many people go skiing without insurance or without adequate insurance for the activities they are going to do. Loads of people think that their free credit card insurance is travel insurance when in actual fact it is travel accident insurance (ie only pays out for loss of limb, sight, life). Many go off-piste using polices that forbid it. Many take parapente flights but aren't covered and loads of people pitch up in Canada or Italy and do a day of heli-skiing which often isn't covered. Tobogganing is also often excluded but few think about it. And people who ski while under the influence of alcohol are also effectively uninsured. Then there are those who rely only on an EHIC card and Carte Neige and then there are the locals who, if they injure you, probably aren't insured for liability. And there are plenty who simply forget to buy insurance and arrange it online from the resort - they are not covered either because they have already travelled (it's in the small print). And there are plenty who simply forget to buy it at all - I think FCO reckoned 10%+ of the travel market go uninsured! So, I reckon, to answer the thread title, a frightening number of people already do.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like it far too much to give up if we were not insured.

3rd party liability is vital, but own liability for rescue/treatment etc....I'd take that chance.
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
Arno wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
Arno, I did.

why does everything have to be a pi55ing match?

I have no idea. I wish people wouyldn't turn threads into that.

Quote:

anyway, how about you post what you think rather than trying to pick holes in other peoples' posts?

The original intention was not to pick holes, but to point out that maybe when you said "of course not", you weren't taking everything into account.

Intended to make you think about whether you really would still ski if you couldn't get insurance.

Unfortunately, you didn't read it that way, and just responded with a snarky comment Sad
snow conditions
rungsp wrote:
I like it far too much to give up if we were not insured.

3rd party liability is vital, but own liability for rescue/treatment etc....I'd take that chance.

I wouldn't. The chance may be low, but the cost if it does happen could be far too high.
ski holidays
I must admit I never fully understand the cost in say an on-piste accident.

If for example a French man had a skiing accident in the Scottish highlands and was helicopter off and treated for say a broken leg will he be billed - If he has the French equiv. E111 card?

Does this differ for me in France - I'm English.

I wouldn't go sking inthe the states without insurance.

I do buy insurance as I don't understand the costs and its not very much in the big scheme of things - to do my whole family for a year cost the same as 12 cups of coffee on mountain in Austria last week...did I give up coffee? No way.
snow report
 brian
brian
cfc5mu0, heli rescue in Scotland is provided to any old punter who gets in trouble by the RAF in their Sea Kings as a training excercise. Otoh, heli rescue in the alps is provided by private companies who want serious dough up front.

So for anybody skiing in Scotland - free. For anybody skiing in the alps - $$$$$.

Medical care once in hospital is a completely separate story, that's where the reciprocal arrangement of the EHIC/E111 comes in.
snow conditions
Pistehors on rescue costs.
snow report
Kind of OT, but I just wanted to give a little hoorah (actually a big one), for the people/organisations in the UK, including RAFs etc. and especially volunteers like mountain rescue, lifeboats etc. who spend time rescuing us have a go heroes for free when we get into trouble.

We sail a lot and I always donate to the RNLI when I can, in a kind of personal-insurance-scheme-come-there-but-for-the-grace-of-whoever-go-I kind of way.

D
ski holidays
having had someone in our group last year who was badly injured and spent a week or two in hospital with ambulances, potential medical flight home (which i think was not needed in the end), and even piste rescure although she was hit at the base of the training slope (!), and seeing first hand the costs that wracked up (not even for the injured person, but one of the other people in the group, who had to sort it out), i would say for the cost of £15-25 quid for a week, its madness not to do it... The person injured had no travel insurance and had not even taken advantage of the EU medical E111 scheme!!!

Add in the cheap piste rescue insurance that you buy in resort when you collect lift passes, and its just not worth not doing!!
snow report
I would never ski without insurance. My father injured himself many moons ago, he had insurance. An english guy was put in the bed next to him after dislocating his hip and he had no insurance. His father had to pay his medical expenses - not cheap.
latest report
Quote:

I'd be all in favour of policies that dropped all incidental cover e.g. baggage, equipment, snow guarantee bollux in favour of medical/SAR cover over a £500 or £1000 threshold.

They exist, but you don't save a lot because it's the SAR/medical and potential third party claims which are the biggest risk for the insurers.
ski holidays
I wouldnt ski outside of the UK without insurance but I just think it will go up in cost a lot but like car insurance we will find the money to pay for it !

Last year my boss actually tried to ban me from going skiing saying I was putting myself in danger of getting injured and therefore being off work sick and I shouldnt go ! hmmmmm ridiculous
snow report
no
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy