Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it colder than usual for skiing in Europe this Jan?

Poster: A snowHead
I get a type of asthma that is usually only triggered if I get a cold virus.
This Jan I just havent felt great during my ski trip. Last night was very wheezy after a day's skiing.
I also seem to be having to wear more layers. Not sure if the conditions are particularly cold and that is affecting me.
Everyone is saying how cold it is - but is it really colder than normal for Jan???? Or maybe I am just get older and my body cant cope as well. Sad
Just wondered what others think
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jayne durham,

It is slightly colder than usual, but nothing out of the ordinary.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colder than average, on some days by a significant margin, according to GFS.

And you're getting older Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys
Rob - I liked the first sentence - gave me hope I am not falling apart.
But then I read the second Evil or Very Mad
Could have been out with Snowcrazy and the mob today - but am sitting here feelin sorry for myself Crying or Very sad
Maybe I'm just still gettin over the strange coldy/fluey thing we had over Christmas.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jayne durham wrote:
But then I read the second Evil or Very Mad

Alas, none of us are getting any younger!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jayne durham, what are the layers made of that your wearing? I also persuaded my wife to get some skiing boxer type underwear rather than the her usual underwear, that helped keep that area warm on her!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

what are the layers made of that your wearing

Various things - have seemed to add a layer every day! merino base layers - man made fleeces. Have to admit to adding an ancient thermal M&S vest - and a wool sweater yesterday!
I have always managed to put on enough so I am not feeling cold except a bit on chair lifts - when the wind seems to have been bitingly cold. Put 2 pairs of leggins under my salopettes - so the area you are referring to was fine!! - but thanks for the tip

I just wondered if it is colder this year - if the constant breathing in of very cold air is agravating my asthma??
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jayne durham, My wife has just got back from a short break from Samoens. She can never remenber being as cold.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you've been ill, then its probably the cold air on the lungs thats the issue..eat some raw garlic..its good for the lungs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jayne durham, I think it's more that the last few Januarys i.e. the last 3 or 4 years have been relatively warm. I clearly recall -25 at the top of the Biollay chair in Courchevel 5 or 6 years ago and when we learnt to ski in 01 the ends of my hair regularly froze. We're also permanently below freezing at home this winter which hasn't been the case the last 3 or so years, but was definitely the case when our house was being built in winter 02/03 and in years before that. IME this is a more "normal" winter (whatever that is)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eng_ch, agreed...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And yet everyday the BBC are saying "thankfully it is an exceptionally mild winter in Europe so the effect of the Ukraine related gas shortages are not as serious as they would normally be".
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks everyone!
Quote:

eat some raw garlic..its good for the lungs.

Papasmurf - are you being SERIOUS about the garlic. Wont that just lose me friends?????
Quote:

My wife has just got back from a short break from Samoens. She can never remenber being as cold.

Frosty - thats exactly how I feel - but maybe as others say it is just that the last few winters have been mild.

Anyway - as I cant go anywhere today I have been lookin on the net and it does sound as if very cold dry air breathed through the mouth can irritate lungs. My nose is blocked - so I have definitely been doing just that.
Feel better than during the night - so hopefully I will get out tomorrow - or Sat. It nice to talk to a few sympathetic snowheads Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I remember -28C at Colle Di Tenda in 1985/6 when my mates eyes froze shut as he rested his hangover on a chairlft. It was much warmer in Morzine last weekend!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My asthma is not usually any worse during cold spells, but I do often struggle if it's cold and damp. In fact damp in general just doesn't agree with me...

The clear air in the Alps is usually very helpful for me, although the thinner air at altitude can make me more wheezy...
latest report
jayne durham wrote:
thanks everyone!
Quote:

eat some raw garlic..its good for the lungs.

Papasmurf - are you being SERIOUS about the garlic. Wont that just lose me friends?????

Aye the compund that gives you garlic breath is expeeled via the lungs and it benefical..when you got a cold etc and is only found in raw or garlic pearls where the compund hasn't been removed....cooked garlic and odurless garlic pills are still good for the immune system but lack the compund that helps clear lungs.
ski holidays
jayne durham wrote:
Is it colder than usual for skiing in Europe this Jan

Temperatures in Milton Keynes snowdome are perfectly normal
snow conditions
Where are you skiing? I find at really high altitudes eg Val Thorens my breathing suffers. I also find that alpine larger (even just a half) sets my asthma off.
snow conditions
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3151095.html
snow report
papasmurf, i hope you're right about that raw garlic thing cos i seem to suffer from the same problem as jayne durham and have just tried your suggestion. will report back if it does work, but phew, it stings when you eat raw garlic!
ski holidays
one other thought...are your outer layers windproof?
snow conditions
you could go for garlic capsules or pearls..I think its only good for colds,coughs etc rather then asthma.
latest report
papasmurf, Crying or Very sad too late...
snow report
hehe. at least you're boosting your immune system.
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3151095.html

IO wonder how much they charge for a lorry load? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

one other thought...are your outer layers windproof?

yep - brand new ski jacket this season.
Got a sore throat now... so maybe I've just got my 4th virus since November - and that has started it off. Evil or Very Mad
Thanks everyone
Think I'll try the attacking it with scotch now. I know its not recommended for sore throats and asthma - but hopefully it will cheer me up a bit Crying or Very sad
latest report
jayne durham, I think you have just had a rough few weeks with your virus and definitely not

Quote:

falling apart

and most definitely not because

Quote:

you're getting older
(nasty rob wink )

Many of my friends who have been ill over the last few weeks are having difficulty shaking off the residual cough, sore throat. It was quite cold in Les Gets end Dec, more so than recent years which have been relatively milder than should have been in alps. The air was cold & sharp which although I liked it, could aggravate asthma. It didn't get over -1 during the day, until the snowfall on 31st. Mind you it's been bloomin' nippy here over last few days! Keep well, eat well & drink well and hope you feel better soon.
snow conditions
What a kind post Lou!
Thanks for the encouragement and for confirming what I already suspected - that Mr Rob is indeed nasty Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jayne durham, yes, it has been a little colder than the annual average, though not exceptionally cold. And, except for a few freak days, not exceptionally windy. You're probably noticing the cold more because you're not well, than not well because of the cold.

Sorry your precious ski-time is suffering as a result; hope you feel better tomorrow. snowHead
ski holidays
jayne durham, Laughing
snow report
jayne durham, sorry to thread hijack again, and i hope you're over your latest viral attack.

i just wanted to report that i didn't notice any difference after i ate the raw garlic suggested by papasmurf. still quite a revolting after-taste, i tell you! but i tried vicks vapor out of desperation and using that at night, plus the vicks inhaler and drinking lots of water has helped relieve the asthma-type cough. i don't know if it would work for you too, but it may be worth a shot?
latest report
Consider taking your inhaler before you exercise if you havent previously done so.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy