Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has aybody any experience of hiring skis from the UK before going to the resorts? I see companies such as edge2edge in Crawley hire all kinds of ski stuff and you can pick it all up from the airport.

Posh skis for 12 days hire, including poles, bag for £90 seem a good deal. Too good to be true? Appreciate any feedback.

tks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jollyroger, you can get some good deals. Just remember that if you're on a TO flight then you'll probably have to pay another £30-40 to get them on the plane. If you're flying BA or Swiss then you may well find yourself quids in.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jollyroger, I haven't done it myself but one of the peeps I went away with a couple of seasons ago used them to hire a board and he was very happy with the service.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skisimon wrote:
jollyroger, you can get some good deals. Just remember that if you're on a TO flight then you'll probably have to pay another £30-40 to get them on the plane. If you're flying BA or Swiss then you may well find yourself quids in.

just a bit concerned about the quality of the skis as i guess you take a bit of a risk. but i suppose that's the same anywhere but at the resort you can change them.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
flowa wrote:
jollyroger, I haven't done it myself but one of the peeps I went away with a couple of seasons ago used them to hire a board and he was very happy with the service.

tks, thats very helpful...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jollyroger, we went in mid Jan and the board he had was brand new. Hopefully you will be as lucky. I also think that they can arrange it so that you pick up and drop off at your destination airport so that you don't have to worry about flying with them. Bound to be worth calling them to check it out fully.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flowa wrote:
jollyroger, we went in mid Jan and the board he had was brand new. Hopefully you will be as lucky. I also think that they can arrange it so that you pick up and drop off at your destination airport so that you don't have to worry about flying with them. Bound to be worth calling them to check it out fully.

thats whats attractive. we can pick up and drop off in LGW before flying to Colorado where the hire is $$$... around $40 per day, so about $500 for 12 days hire if you include damage ins and tax!!! £90 against this seems a really good deal and we're flying united so i think they carry for free if you only have one bag plus skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jollyroger, ah, sorry, mis-interpereted the question. Only from second hand information now, but as flowa has already said, the equipment is usually of a high quality (arguably better than in resort).

I'd double check with United about ski carriage (just to be sure), they're almost as no frills as the no frills airlines at times (just without the price incentive...) Mind you, even with carriage charges, it still works out at a snip compared to doing it in resort given the prices you've found for CO.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jollyroger, ah, America, I do want to ski there some day Going green
I think the hire company only do the pick up/drop off for major European ski destination airports but doubt they do it for US so ... wot skisimon said, check the carrier to be 100% that they don't charge but I don't think they will as it's a proper international flight where you get proper duty free 'n everthin'.

Have a great holiday snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why would you want to deal with the hassle of lugging gear through airports and paying for baggage charges when gear that is just the same it is available in the resort already? A US resort will have a much better selection and avoid the changes. You can also swap it if the conditions change.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
narc wrote:
Why would you want to deal with the hassle of lugging gear through airports and paying for baggage charges when gear that is just the same it is available in the resort already?
I'd say it's because it looks like he can save the best part of £150 by doing it this way. That's enough for a few nights out, even at CO prices...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
edge 2edge have decent quality hire schmutter from one I've seen judging by the ex rental stock sale that they have in Septemberish. The only skis I'd avoid are the Public Enemy type of park skis which kids seem to abuse pretty hard. Pretty sure you could ring them up and agree on which particular model of ski you were going to get & its <5mins from LGW.

For transatlantic you should have 2 pieces of 23kg each allowance of which ski bag forms one.

US rental rates are high because they tend only to be for long weekends - mind you for $500 you can almost certainly buy a decent pair of skis in Colorado, especially if you go valley chain store rather than in resort boutique.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy