Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the thingy called???

Poster: A snowHead
What is the thing called at the end of a ski, you know the plastic bit that stops the pole going deep in the snow. My friend has given me a pair of poles, but the "thingy" is very small so I'd like to get a bigger one so my pole doesn't go too deep in the snow. Oh and where can I get a new pair from.

I know this will sound rather rude to some of you, but I am comfortable with the size of my own thingy, it's just the one on the pole that is small.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The basket?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At the end of the pole you mean. It's a basket. But not a basket of fruit...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia, Laughing And definately not a fruit basket... wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
k1orange, Yep Basket it is they are about €3 in most shops that have them
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
k1orange,

If the poles are fairly modern a good ski shop should be able to replace the baskets with larger ones. However, this is not always the case.

My poles are old. To increase the diameter of my baskets I have tied on a larger pair onto and below the smaller ones because I can't replace mine with new ones.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
k1orange, have a quick google under "Powder Baskets"
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
k1orange wrote:
so I'd like to get a bigger one so my pole doesn't go too deep in the snow.

I'm not sure the change would be worth the effort. The small sizes work quite well (for me), especially on typical pistes which are usually pretty hard. Maybe if you're going to ski metre deep champagne powder, it might make a difference. But even there I rather doubt it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
espri, It would probably make a difference. I found myself in knee deep powder on piste last March - so swapped my poles with husband, who had his off piste poles (big basketed) with him - for me, who isnt experienced or confident in deep stuff, it made a world of difference Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
genepi wrote:
espri, It would probably make a difference.

You might be right for skiing in powder; I was thinking more of using the poles to get up again after a fall, where I think they would have to reach the ground anyway, independent of the baskets.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A shop in Val Thorens, the one opposite the Malaysia nightclub at the top of the drag lifts, replaced mine for free for me when it came off. Took out my wallet and he waved me away saying no no no. Its ok.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mind you, if you don't bother pole planting and just bend over with your erse in the air, waving them behind you like a demented 70's TV aerial, you won't need baskets Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It certainly makes a difference off piste - very easy to get them changed and often they don't even charge. Easier for them to get the old one off and new one on but you could do it yourself if you have a hammer (best way to hammer the new one on fully is if you have a short piece of steel tube that will fit over the pole point).

Tip for straightening a bent pole without breaking it - get a member of the opposite sex to bend over, and bend it over their bum.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are some people who will pay for that sort of service, apparently Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
garethjomo wrote:
A shop in Val Thorens, the one opposite the Malaysia nightclub at the top of the drag lifts, replaced mine for free for me when it came off. Took out my wallet and he waved me away saying no no no. Its ok.

I had similar service from a shop in Canazei (The one at the entrance to a small shopping arcade near the closest bus stop to the bottom of the home run) - and it wasn't even one which standard baskets fitted (being supposedly a walking pole), so he had to bodge a fit using circlips to hold it on.
latest report
alex_heney, I was beginning to wonder what sort of service you were referring to wink
latest report
Thanks very much for all your advice. I will see if I can get some new ones before I take the old ones off. If I run out of time I'll just take them to a shop when I go away again next week.
latest report
genepi wrote:
espri, It would probably make a difference. I found myself in knee deep powder on piste last March - so swapped my poles with husband, who had his off piste poles (big basketed) with him - for me, who isnt experienced or confident in deep stuff, it made a world of difference Very Happy

That's interesting....hmm, I can feel a new pair of poles calling my name! My old ones are battered anyway so I needed a good excuse for a nice new pair. Very Happy
latest report
Thanks to all that replied. Whilst away last week I got some new baskets fitted (in the 2nd shop), They cost me a whole 5 euro which was money well spent when it started to snow. My new baskets were so good, my friend went in the next night and got his thing englarged to.
snow report
k1orange, that's nice. 'got his thing enlarged to' what, by the way? '... enormous proportions'? '... everyone's surprise'? '... my delight'? '... no avail'? '... win a bet'? '... prevent complaints'? '... give me somehere to hang my helmet'?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 27-01-09 19:08; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
k1orange wrote:
my friend went in the next night and got his thing englarged to.

I keep getting spam about this sort of thing Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
New line for ski shops ???
latest report
And can one get poles of different thicknesses? Puzzled And how does one enlarge one's pole? Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy