Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

5 day trip - DIY for £300, is it possible? Suggestions?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Looking at sorting a budget DIY job,
Not fussed at all where I go, aslong as I’m near the slopes
We would go anywhere, Bulgaria, Poland, slovenia, slovakia, anywhere at all
Group is mainly of a Beginners level so any resort with blues would suit really

Looking at going anytime in March or start of April for 5 days, 3-4 days on the slopes would suit us fine
Flying from Stansted or Gatwick

Group of 6 people, 4 male 2 female, sharing space shouldn’t be a problem for that short amount of time

Question is, Do you think it would be possible to do it all for £300 for everything apart from food.
Therefore including Flights, Transfer, Accomodation, Lift Pass, also 5 of the group would need to hire boots and boards for the 4 days on the slopes

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas

Ryanair seems cheapest for flights and goes from Stansted to various places, found a flight in March to Austria – Friedrichshafen - worked out at £15 each return including taxes, then baggage to add on top. But accommodation etc would prob soon put things up I guess

Thanks for any help

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 7-01-09 13:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowscreen, Have a look at flights to Lourdes from Stansted - they have been very cheap lately. You can then get to Cauterets in the French Pyrenees, which may suit your skiing requirements very well, within 35 mins. We have 6 person apartments there for around £255 - £330 pw (more or less, depending on when in March you go), so you could potentially do your budget or close to it. You could arrive and leave whenever, within a Sat - Sat week. Let me know if you need more info etc Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easy! if as you say the £300 covers everything apart from food, flights, transfer, accomodation and lift pass then no problem - are you sure thats what you meant??

still, a flight with ryanair as you say is cheap. try activitybreaks.com for some good short break options - ive done a few and they are great and sometimes include equipment and passes.

alternatives are looking for a hostel - try http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/winter_sports/article5318870.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1 for some ideas.

failing that you should be able to find some good last minute deals on igluski and ifyouski etc

you could also either use local transport or hire a car between you all to keep costs down.

i have done a short break for less than £300 before on more than one occasion so IMO its easily done and in my experience the DIY element of hiring a car, or staying in somewhere other than a nice chalet often just adds to the fun!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I reckon you could do it with a last minute deal from a TO....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fly to Innsbruck, get a big apartment or multiple occupancy rooms, ski the local resorts, easy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowscreen, Scotland?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowscreen, travel out Stanstd to Salzburg 8th March returning 13th. Ryanair flights are currently £31.50 return including taxes. sasdly you will have to add the baggage and check in costs with Ryanair.

Taxi transfer to Radstadt is €20 pp each way. B&B at http://www.austrian-adventures.com/ is €28.50 per night. This is owned by Flangesax a very nice snowhead. he will ferry you to and from the hire shop and if you ask nice take the gear back. They let us pile our luggage on the last day of skiing and to come back and shower and change and even arranged all the taxis. Easy blues are the backbone of the area and the ski school gets good reports. Lift pass depends on the area you want to ski.

Now the bonus....these are that dates that me and 3 mates will be returning to the same gaff. Not 5* luxury, but very nice beds and exceptionally helpful hosts with great local knowledge and contacts.

Time your flights right and you can get 5.5 days skiing in 5 nights as the transfer is 45 mins Very Happy We left Manchester at 06.15 and were in resort for 10.40 local time Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, sold it to me anyway Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops, you would be very welcome Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK, looking at your Friedrichshafen flight for £45 including bags and checking in:

Diedamskopf is a smallish ski area but looks like enough to keep you guys interested for 4 days. Village called Schoppernau is at the foot of the slopes.

Flight is £45 including bags
4 day lift pass is EUR117. Let's say £110
S/c accommodation for 6 in March in Haus Pfefferkorn Veronika is EUR74 each. Let's say £65. It's just an example but on the slopes in Schoppernau so no buses etc.

So you're looking at £220 for flights accom and liftpass.

Train and bus transfer or private, factor in about £40 each, leaving something like £40 for equipment for those who need it.

I've never been there, so can't recommend it personally, but I was just looking at an example in Vorarlberg for you. I would think that the village would be quiet and not resort-y so not much in the way of nightlife, but the skiing would be fine. I guess for your budget, you will be looking away from the big touristy resorts anyway, but there are some real bargains to be had if you go to the more out of the way places.

I reckon Frosty the Snowman's Radstadt option would end up being a little bit (reckon £60 for flight including bags, £125 for accom at flangesax's place, £30 transfer, so your liftpass at around £120 ish would take you slightly over), over your budget, but not much, and would obviously be a personal rec so a bit more sure of what you are getting. However, I have never yet had bad accommodation in Austria so it's a fairly safe bet wherever you go.

I'm not specifically recommending you go to Diedamskopf, just saying, there are loads of similar smallish ski areas in Vorarlberg where you can put together great deals, so it's more of an idea really rather than a specific plan.

HTH
D
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NICE, thats just the kind of reply I was hoping for

funnily enough Salzburg was one of the flights i looked into last night, was just a case of being lost with the many resorts to look into

Would it be worth hiring a car, and how far is that b&b from the actual slopes
lift pass isnt tooo cheap i guess as it covers a wide area and not just that small one

i'll price things up soon

cheers
Dave
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's possibly worth looking at snowtrex. They sometimes have last minute deals to out-of-the-way places (e.g. Chamrousse, Valfrejus) for utter stupid money.

£75 for a week's s/c including lift pass, that kind of thing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last minute with a TO, get food thrown in for that sort of money, but it would be a week.

Or, go to Scotland and stay in a travelodge?

If you drive you'll need a big enough car for 6.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Deliaskis - thanks for that idea aswell,

I'll look into that aswell, found a piste map and it looks like it would do the job

does seem like it could be possible with flights being nice and cheap, just a case of finding the right place to go and accomodation
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, unfortunately flights from the west of UK do not seem to go to Salzburg - I have looked at the options loads of times and really fancy boarding the area
ski holidays
snowscreen, the B&B is 100 metres east walk from the ski bus stop. A car would only be worth it for more advanced skiers. Radstadt Hill has 17km of runs, but the ski buses run to many very local resorts apart from the local hill. It was much less hassle than I had expected....and we had 2 kids in tow.
ski holidays
I doubt you will get a flight inc bags for £60 return. They may say £60 until you click book, then taxes and fuel surcharge will be added.
ski holidays
I had a quick look on Neilson, and i know its not to the exact criteria but 10th jan, flights, 4* accomodation and transfers to Livingo, £82.00!!!! thats flying from either Gatwick or Heathrow... Bargain!
ski holidays
russ_e, the £15 he quoted in the OP did include taxes and charges, but not baggage. I have added on baggage charges making the £15 into £45.

D
ski holidays
With a three day lift pass alone costing between 100 - 150 euros I think you'd be very lucky! We could do it for £198 for catered chalet accommodation in Les Coches (if you avoid weekends - and midweek flights are cheaper anyway) and we offer evening transfers from Geneva at £12.50 per person each way. But you'd still have your flight and lift pass to add on.

If you can wait until later in April we're doing a three day special offer in Tignes - £79 for three nights catered accommodation including transfers (£15 per night supplement for Fri & Sat so avoiding weekends is the ticket) and it's due to go on sale in the next couple of weeks. This is from 19th April until the end of the May Bank holiday weekend.

joanne.mountainsunltd@talktalk.net if you want some further details.
snow conditions
ahhh... I love it when you lot talk about me Laughing

£300 - bit tricky now without going through a last minute deal with a TO (I will never, ever be able to beat them!)

In Ski Amade the lift pass will be about half of your budget for a 5 dayer!

(I know it may be a little expensive - but it is worth every cent!)

Thanks for the recommendations though chaps!

And Frosty.... I am still in a reasonably 'healthy' state... but there is still a while to go yet!
latest report
flangesax wrote:
ahhh... I love it when you lot talk about me Laughing

It's a certain kind of fame I suppose...You'll be on slebrity strictly get me outta the wife-swapping jungle on ice skates in the big brother house next...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy