Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British couple complete record-breaking ski marathon to South Pole

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A British couple have skied to the South Pole and back to their starting point - a total of 1380 miles - in a record 70 days, using kite power for the return journey. Ex-army captain Conrad Dickinson was reported to be looking forward to a pint of Ruddles and a curry - his wife Hilary preferring a glass of Chardonnay - after the couple completed their marathon trek...

The total journey was some 50 miles longer than any completed previously by British explorers in Antarctica. By using kites, they completed the second leg in just 17 days.

This account of the epic journey in today's Scotsman. Conrad Dickinson said:

Quote:
“There is no doubt that our kite-ski training really paid off, especially during heart-stopping moments such as crossing the bridges of crevasses without rope support or skiing over blue ice with express-train-like winds"
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wonder if we could get these amazing people to join snowHeads and do a question/answer session?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More detail on how they achieved it in this press release.

Being hauled by kites across such a rough snowscape must be really hazardous. It must require huge concentration - I wonder how quickly you can stop if there's a really nasty obstacle ahead?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, it struck me as a bit strange when in the Scotsman article Dickinson was reported as saying he occasionally dozed off when kite skiing, only waking up when the kite fell to the ground!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, I was astonished by that. I guess it's reflective of total exhaustion, but if the kite is - in effect - controlled by a 'dead man's handle'-type device (like a train driver's electric power control) that would make the kite safer in that situation.

Hopefully we can find out more about these kites soon. The first time I saw their use (in that instance a parachute being used uphill) was in the mid-1970s in Scotland, where I know there have been bad accidents using wind power.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David, both my sons are keen kite skiers and boarders, on water as well as snow. I'm sure there were some photos of kite sking/boarding on the Col de Petit San Bernard on my elder son's website, www.morealps.com if we can get you out to La Rosiere maybe they can initiate you into the sport?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David, you and I should be skiing to the South Pole together. You can pull the sled and I'll mess around with kites.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David, unfortunately I fear we are both a tad too old for such malarkey. Would you settle for Hampsted Heath, we could make an expedition to the Spaniards or jack Straw's Castle.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy