Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
have just booked a bargain Very Happy having read some reviews is it really that much windier than other resorts? theres some very negative reviews about sitting on chairlifts in the biting wind Puzzled and that the drag lifts are ancient? Do we prepare for the worst or is it really not that bad?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi there - was there in April 2007 ................. so no wind / briiliant sunshine / upto 20 degrees .................. great in the morning, soupy in the afternoon .......... some of the lifts were a little slow but I thought the resort itself was fine ............... you will get alot of responses here, linked to La Thuile, never got there as my wife couln't get her head around the long drag over ! So I didn't think that bad !!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
feefee, There are not that many drags and most of those there can be navigated around. Here is a link for the best piste map in towm (5MB) http://www.skilarosiere1850.com/tzr/scripts/downloader2.php?

It can be windy, but then so can every resort. The resort is fully open so if the weather is bad then head straight for Fontaine Froide , a red run on the extreme left of the piste map. Get the main Roche Noire chair up and ski down the right edge of Tetras blue piste, warmimb gup before turning right at the Fontaine Froide sign. There is also a black, Ecudet, that meets the red half way down. The runs are lovely, tree lined and sheltered. The chair is slow but comfy and sheltered. There is a lovely hut at the bottom for drinks and Panini.

If it is windy then the Italian link can be brutal as the wind really does howl up there, but then the link will often be shut. If the link is shut due to avalanche risk then don't be afraid to ski down the back to the chardonnet chair (if it is open) as it is a great little red run. The drag over to Italy is 10 minutes long (get off at the first stop) but dead easy.
Enjoy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 6-01-09 11:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
feefee, the wind can whistle over the link to La Thuile, causing it to be closed for safety reasons. But otherwise you wouldn't notice the difference I don't think. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It doesn't sound much different to any other resort then? We are going 24th jan staying at chalet les balcons, the eucherts area. Think this is 15 mins out of the main town near a lift? Are there many mountain huts? Any other tips? Thanks Very Happy Is the drag the only way over to Thuile?
Frosty - cant open the link? (prob me being thick)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
feefee, A little bit of snowHeads history Very Happy
La Ros was overly promoted spammed call it what you will by a snowHead who had an interest in a business in the resort.
This old thread gives a good a review as any Very Happy
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=406237&highlight=rosiere#406237
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
feefee, sorry, try this http://www.skilarosiere1850.com/GB_plan-des-pistes.html

Les Eucherts has been hugely developed and has everything you need. The best eating spots are in Italy (do a search for Rascard on here) but the Traversette at the bottom of the Forth chair is nice.

There are 2 drags to Italy, but you can ski off after the first to the Fourclaz chair to get to Italy or run red 7, the road, down into town. The drag is long but very easy. 6 yr old kids can manage it fine Very Happy

Have a look at this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14990&highlight=

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 6-01-09 11:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Look out for that red run down to La Thuile from the top of that imfamous drag. It's steep, quite narrow, and was bloody bumpy when I had a go on it. Quite scary for a couple of near-beginners that I was with...

The boarder in our party was ashen faced at the end of that drag too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty, got it thanks! Well that makes some interesting reading! horses for courses it seems. Having skied a few resorts I've yet to find one I dislike Laughing They all have their goods and bads, but I do like hearing others comments before I go, we are all intermediates some braver than others! youngest child is 9, I'm sure it'll be great, any tips welcomed and I will let you know my thoughts on it when I return wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Who was it who once posted that La Ros is the only ski resort in the world they wouldn't go back to?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulio wrote:
Look out for that red run down to La Thuile from the top of that imfamous drag. It's steep, quite narrow, and was bloody bumpy when I had a go on it.
I heard that that link was rated black but the powers decided that the link between the resorts should be a red run so a small bit of the mountain was blasted away allowing it to just qualify as a red. No idea if it's true but it's a good tale.

I've never stayed in La Ros but done three separate weeks in La Thuile and would happily go back to either. Yes those two drags are long and can be cold but you just pull you hat down, your scarf up and enjoy them in a hateful kinda way.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure which red you're referring to. No 6 maybe? I thought that was a lot of fun. No 7 (the road) is serene, with only a couple of short steep pitches in my memory. Cruise time.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Higs wrote:
paulio wrote:
Look out for that red run down to La Thuile from the top of that imfamous drag. It's steep, quite narrow, and was bloody bumpy when I had a go on it.
I heard that that link was rated black but the powers decided that the link between the resorts should be a red run so a small bit of the mountain was blasted away allowing it to just qualify as a red. No idea if it's true but it's a good tale.

I commented at the time I skied it that in my opinion if that run wasn't such a vital link, it would be rightly classified black. Even if they blasted some gradient out of it, it's still narrow and bumpy, and in my eyes - a black. Massive shame, because it makes the link scary for lower intermediates (the ones in my party I basically tricked into doing it Twisted Evil)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If this is off the 2nd drag then I have never done it. The 1st drag requires me to take off my skis and walk around for 2-3 mins to let the pain subside in the knees Embarassed .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've just returned from our first week in La Rosiere. Stayed at Cimes Blanches appts in Les Eucherts which are fantastic! When the wind blows it is really cold sitting on some of the lifts..so take a balaclava. When the wind blew it seemed colder than Val Thorens which we visited a few years ago and was much higher. Some of the chairs in the San bernando area have bubbles and are slightly warmer.

We really enjoyed the skiing...the fontaine froid run is worth doing if there is enough snow..has a lovely cafe at the bottom..chair a bit slow coming back up. When we went the best snow was in the San Bernando area and on the La Thuile side. We really enjoyed skiing over to la thuile and back...the first drag lift to la thuile is quite long and some of the drags bounce when you set off..hold on tight! Also watch out for the prices of food and drink in both la thuile and la rosiree. The cafe at the bottom of the fourclaz chair is ridiculously expensive..there is a cheaper one on the other side near the bottom of chaz dura which we preferred. Also a very expensive place in La Ros 1850 next to bottom of roche noir..they charged Euros 3 for a yoghurt!

You also have to get up speed at some points on the Italian side to avoid having to pole!

We loved the Eucharts area..hardly any traffic, lovely creperie & bowling alley.

Our children also really enjoyed ski school and les galopins.

Hope you have a fantastic time!
snow report
snowymum wrote:
When the wind blew it seemed colder than Val Thorens which we visited a few years ago and was much higher.

More likely to be due to the fact it's firkin cold at the moment, rather than any difference in resorts. I expect if you'd been in Val T at the same time it would have felt very cold!

regards,

greg
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy