Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland in February - should I go?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I'm planning to go to Scotland in February for 4 days.

I've never done any skiing there so I have no idea what to expect apart from some good looking photos on the Winter Highland site.

In the North West, we have:
Nevis Range - 11 lifts
Glencoe - 7 lifts

North East we have:
Cairngorm - 12 lifts
The Lecht - 15 lifts
Glenshee - 21 lifts

1) Purely going off the number of lifts, would I be right in saying that the Cairngorm area is the place to go?
I'd rather stay in one place and drive to the different centres.

2) Are conditions generally reliable in February for these ski centres?
I've heard of very icy conditions and high winds that means lifts are closed. No idea how much truth there is in this.

I'm using to Alpine skiing but I don't expect anything like that. I'm going to Val Thorens in March anyway.

Anyone done any skiing at these centres and what to recommend?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bikeandsnow,

I have skied Lecht and Nevis. Scotland is always difficult to plan. We could have epic snow in Feb or we could have snow stripping SW winds with rain. In general Scotland seems to be at it's best in late season, from March onwards.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All of Scotland's ski areas can be fantastic but conditions are not as reliable as the Alps.

You could have great conditions by February - or maybe not....

Essentially we wait until a Thursday evening and then take a decision as to whether or not to head north for the weekend, based on snow conditions and weather forecast. With its maritime climate anything could happen in 24 hours in Scotland.

Despite that we have had some incredible days skiing there in the past 2 seasons - a January 08 day at Glencoe gave us blue skies, packed powder and over 2000 ft vertical at Glencoe; a March 08 weekend at Nevis Range saw us experience some amazing off piste and packed powder on piste as good as the Alps; and last April at Cairngorm was brilliant. This season we skied powder at the Lecht on 1 November and some excellent off piste at Cairngorm the following day. However, all trips were last minute decisions.

All areas (with the exception, perhaps, of the Lecht) have their merits and all offer something different. The Lecht is great but has a smaller vertical drop and a bit less variety than the other areas.

If I were you I'd "pencil in" the weekend (or long weekend) in question and keep an eye on the weather and also have a look at Winterhighland website, which is excellent.

I'd then make a last minute decision about where to go (subject to the snow reports and weather forecast) and book accommodation at the time. snowHeads will be able to advise on where to stay and give you accommodation advice nearer the time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nevis Range is probably a slightly better bet for February but asjohnboy, says its always a bit of a lottery
If you are into mountain biking etc there are lots of options at both places and no midges in February
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bikeandsnow,
I have skied all the centres except the Lecht and prefer the Western ones but this is possibly because I live in the West and they are more convenient.
Conditions are not guaranteed in Scotland. Good snow in february would not be unusual but nor would ice and high winds be for any given few days. The climate is maritime rather than alpine. In the West there is not much snow at the moment judging by a drive back down from the highlands after having spent New Year on the west coast and walking some of the lower hills.

If your name indicates a fondness for mountain biking there is a trail centre at Fort William which is mean to be good in all weather and loads of trails around Aviemore. If you cannot ski there is still plenty to do.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The last time I skied in Scotland was February, 2002. Conditions were lousy then, though we did ski all the resorts (except Glencoe). But, as others have said, what happened in 2002 can't tell you what 2009 will be like.

I'm not sure that it is feasible to ski all the areas from one base, at least not without spending a lot of time driving each day. Maybe you could manage Nevis Range, Glencoe and Cairngorm from Fort William.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

If your name indicates a fondness for mountain biking there is a trail centre at Fort William which is mean to be good in all weather and loads of trails around Aviemore.

There is also Laggan Wolftrax - which is the most demanding/technical of the UK's trail centres. Great fun though and also has some easier options. Laggan is about equidistant from Aviemore and Ft William.

As T Bar says, the biking trails at Nevis Range ski area are also excellent. Fairly low level and generally in the forest - but some sections are a bit exposed if the weather's wild.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Fairly low level and generally in the forest - but some sections are a bit exposed if the weather's wild.

The above is "Mountainaddict speak" for "there are some tough (vomit inducing world cup cross country) climbs and some excellent fast, technical downhills."

All in all, highly recommended riding on the Witches Trails and well worth a visit.

Also, on the way home you could visit one or two of the "7 Stanes" mountain bike centres - the home of some of the best biking in Britain. If you are`heading down the west side there are a few areas around Dumfries that you could drop into.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK

Let's say I go to the Nevis area in Feb. If conditions are not that good, is the walking good at that time of year?

Could spend a couple of days walking the mountains and Glen Nevis.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bikeandsnow,
The weather that make the hill tops unpleasant for skiing can do the same for walking, personally I would be inclined to Aviemore and do the lower level walks in Rothiemurches with a bit of shelter if the weather is inclement.
Might get glorious weather though. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy