Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Urgent question - problem with mail order skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I recently ordered a new pair of Line Blends from the internet which arrived today.

I asked the shop to mount them at the manufacturer's recommended point, there only is one and it's marked mid sole. I gave them my boot sole length.

When I put my boot in the binding, the mid sole mark on my Rossignol B14 boots is just under 3.5cm behind the mid sole mark on the Line's.

right hand edge of tape is marking the mid sole line, upside down A and line is the midsole mark on the boot.

you can see the mid sole mark on the ski if you look closely

Has anyone else ever had a botched binding mount?

Any ideas for how to resolve it?

Thanks a lot Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No one?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They owe you new skis.... IMO. If someone drilled random extra holes in my skis or drilled them wrongly (they are supposed to be professionals) then I would be looking for new uns as the re sale will be completely shot with a 2nd mount. (This is assuming your mount is in the wrong place).......
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
element, I've had bodged bindings a couple of times and had the skiis replaced on both occassions. however, mine have been out laterally, not longtitudinally like yours. Personally I would get them changed unless theres a good reason for the mounting position being the way it is. good luck
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tell them that you are annoyed and want the skis replaced FOC including shipping, then agree to 'test' them to see if you like them in that position or not.

I suspect they will find a way out of it. Fitting bindings without the skier present to sign a liability waiver and without the specific boots present IMO is ridiculous. Be happy that at 3.5cm out you will be able to have the bindings redrilled with no consequeces.

Moral of the story? No matter how much £ you save, in the long run you can't beat a local professional ski shop... Twisted Evil

It sucks but don't worry to much. I hope they give you new skis. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
element, which recommended mounting point? I understand some skis have several these days...

3.5cm seems a little poor to me. Are you sure there's no adjustment in the toe piece (and it's incorrectly sited?) as it doesn't look like you're just in the wrong holes on a plate. Ask for a refund or a decent pair of slalom skis. You'll have more fun.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
element, did the shop ask you how you're going to use the skis? Ideally they should have with this type of ski, although you should take some responsiblity by researching your requirements in advance.

You've bought a pair of skis advertised as "all terrain freestyle" skis however Line only put one mounting mark on them which is poor IMO compared to other makes who will give a choice of positions. For the best park/switch performance you'd mount forward & for the best all mountain performance you'd mount back. A compromise would be somewhere in between. I'd expect the difference between a full park to full mountain set-up to be about 4/5cm but it could be more.

I've mounted a few pairs of Line's but in each case the customer has specified exactly where he wanted them mounting. I'd recommend contacting Line & asking them if the mounting mark is for designed park use or for all mountain. If it's a park line & you want them for all mountain then the shop has done you a favour so just go ski 'em. If you however want them for park use then they'd need a re-mount & you have a very strong case for new skis as they'd not followed your instructions.

You could also check the position yourself by checking the centre of the running surface of the skis. To measure the CRS retract the brake levers & squeeze the ski bases together aligning the skis lengthways. Drop a business card in the gap between the tips & mark the edge with a marker pen were the bottom edge of the card sits. Up end the skis & do the same with the tails. The measure half way between the two points & that's the CRS. Now if your boot mark is over the CRS then that's a good park set-up but if the position of the ball of your foot is over the CRS then that's a good all mountain set-up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor wrote:

Moral of the story?

if you are buying mail order mount them yourself
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, I specifically requested in my email when I ordered them that I wanted them mounted at the manufacturer's mark. For this ski, Line sets this back 78mm from true centre, which as I do a bit of park, is as far back as I would want them to go. I measured and they were well over 100mm back. I'd done the research and knew where I wanted them mounted Smile

There was no adjustment in the toe piece.

As far as I can see, they just made a mistake.

They've agreed to remount them and pay postage and I'm going to see if they'll compensate me somehow tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for all the replies, I'll let you know how it goes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
element, their mistake, new skis for sure. I would hold off until you get that.. you are entitled to it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
element, fair nuff though that means that they def owe you new skis. From a structural point of view it's no issue if they plug the old holes properly & if you're going to be using them in the park then they're gonna get bashed up a bit anyway so if they were mine I'd be happy with a fat credit note to spend at the store.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They owe you new skis - their cockup, their problem. Why should you take a pair that have already been depreciated further in value by a remount?

Howver broadly I think spyderjon has the practical remedy here.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They offered me either a full refund, or to remount the bindings, but they wouldn't offer me a replacement, or any compensation or store credit.

As the skis were really cheap in the first place, I have to go with the remount, as if refunded, I couldn't buy them somewhere else without spending a good bit more.

Not exactly a great result, but not much I can do about it.

I won't be using them again.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
element, why not get a refund then buy the skis again, from them?

What is the shop? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
arv, That is a very good point, but apparently it's the last pair. They would say that though.

I'll not say what the shop is if they get the skis back to me before I go on my holiday like they said they would. If they don't and I have to rent, given the current cost of renting decent skis, every ski forum in the world will know about it.

All I will say, like some of the others here have said, don't get your bindings mounted mail order.

I made it especially clear about the mounting point on the phone when I was talking to him about my order, and I put it in the order email, so they just buggered it up.

Ordinarily I would make more of a fuss, but it was a good deal, and I'm doing some nasty exams, so I don't need the extra stress.
snow report
Why not get the refund, then offer to buy the skis back off them with bindings remounted - as they have previously been drilled, they are now second hand so should justify a 30% discount Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy