Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shopping For Kit in Bansko?

Poster: A snowHead
I really need to buy a few new bits for this season. I'm off to Bansko in late Jan and was wondering if anyone had any local knowledge, experiences, advice they could share with me? It would be great to find out what the prices were like over there for Pants, Goggles etc and if there were any real gems of shops to visit? Help me beat the credit crunch! Thanks x
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
joethornber,

Bansko is good for rip-off gear so it could certainly help you beat the cc. The only shop that I can think of that definately sells the real thing is the one on the ground floor of the Strazhite Hotel (which you can't miss). I think there's another shop further down that sells Northface but I can't remember the name. Prices vary enormously but there are still some bargains to be had among the abundance of eastern european fashion (it really is the nation that style forgot!).

BTW, despite all the bad press that Bansko gets (some of it from me) I have been 3 times and really liked it - like thousands of others we have bought a property there. Maybe one day it will earn a few quid! The food is great, the people are generally nice, it's still cheap and the ski area is small but good.

Hope you enjoy it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My in-laws have an apartment in Bansko, we gave it two seasons and will never return. I completely disagree with the above. The food is mostly cold, greasy muck. The people are generally horrible, it's not actually that cheap considering how inferior the whole experience is. The skiing is very, very limited with an up to 2hr gondola queue at peak periods. As for buying gear? Forget it! The genuine stuff will be expensive.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
An abundance of North Fake for sale at cheap prices, it definatley does fall to bits after a few months use though
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have read comments from people on other feeds talking about how good the hire places are and how cheap things are generally in Bulgaria.
I'm really curious to know weather any of these stores, Solomon, Intersport etc carry clothing as well and what the prices are like compared to over here?
Not so much a question of weather there is rubbish fake stuff about.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
joethornber wrote:
I'm really curious to know weather any of these stores, Solomon, Intersport etc carry clothing as well and what the prices are like compared to over here?
Not so much a question of weather there is rubbish

YES and it's expensive.

It won't just be the 'weather' that'll be 'rubbish'.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I remember the UK ski press hailing it as "the new Val D'Isere" Laughing ... but that might be because a few of 'em bought apartments there!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marmalade wrote:
joethornber, BTW, despite all the bad press that Bansko gets (some of it from me) I have been 3 times and really liked it

Same here, it's better (as a cheap deal) than many would credit it. Was there last Feb '07, me and two mates, had a breeze.................

As regards the gear the biggest problem you'll have is distinguishing the Knock-off from genuine. I personally wouldn't buy gear there, but that's me, each to their own.

And for entertainment we normally ended up at "Amigos", small but always rammed, so get there by 10.30pm. Get to the main gondola before 9am or after 10.15am as the queues are out the door meantime. Good lift system otherwise, would put many "superior" resorts to shame. Terrain mainly intermediate.

John.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BCjohnny wrote:
marmalade wrote:
joethornber, BTW, despite all the bad press that Bansko gets (some of it from me) I have been 3 times and really liked it

Same here, it's better (as a cheap deal) than many would credit it. Was there last Feb '07, me and two mates, had a breeze.................

As regards the gear the biggest problem you'll have is distinguishing the Knock-off from genuine. I personally wouldn't buy gear there, but that's me, each to their own.

And for entertainment we normally ended up at "Amigos", small but always rammed, so get there by 10.30pm. Get to the main gondola before 9am or after 10.15am as the queues are out the door meantime. Good lift system otherwise, would put many "superior" resorts to shame. Terrain mainly intermediate.

John.

I don't get it. Confused All I can say is that you must've been on some very crappy skiing holidays to rate this place at all. The miniscule amount of skiing is beginner/intermediate leaning more towards beginner. The whole experience just sucks compared to a decent central European resort.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Might be cheaper buying in UK given the € rate. Ski Mag stated UK 17% cheaper than Euroland
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Might be cheaper buying in UK given the € rate

In Bansko you'd still be paying in Leva not Euros wouldn't you?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marmalade wrote:
Quote:

Might be cheaper buying in UK given the € rate

In Bansko you'd still be paying in Leva not Euros wouldn't you?

Leva's pegged to the Euro...............

John.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mollerski wrote:
I don't get it. Confused All I can say is that you must've been on some very crappy skiing holidays to rate this place at all. The miniscule amount of skiing is beginner/intermediate leaning more towards beginner. The whole experience just sucks compared to a decent central European resort.

I'd have to disagree with you there. It's true that there's only 70km of piste but if you're just into skiing on pistes then how much mileage do you actually do? Having skied with a few "intermediate" people I've found that most people tend to stick to the same runs during the week.

If you're at a decent level and into a bit of hiking and exploring the back country there is stashes of stuff in Bansko - over the back of the Todorka (with a local guide of course wink ).

True it's a place that suits novices and lower intermediates (who wants to spend a fortune whilst at that level) but if you're half decent and up for a laugh the place has got so much more. However, I suppose that it doesn't suit the "mileage hungry intermediate", you know the type: take lessons for the first 4 weeks and then proceed to slide around the slopes with no technique or hunger to develop.

I've been fortunate enough to have only had to queue for 5 mins to get the gondola up, I've heard it can be bad during Orthodox holidays and 1/2 terms but even then when you're up there there are hardly any queues up top. I've queued everywhere all over Europe and North America - it happens.

As for the original posters question you can get ski stuff in Bansko - there are a couple of good shops around who are charging roughly UK/EU prices. As ever there are some smaller shops which by rights don't look like they should be stocking the latest gear and have it at suspiciously low prices - I wouldn't risk it.

Cheers

B
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bucking bronco

Do you own an apartment in Bansko by anychance?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes also own a few hotels and have just taken a place on the board of the Ulen. rolling eyes
ski holidays
bucking bronco wrote:
Yes also own a few hotels and have just taken a place on the board of the Ulen. rolling eyes

It was a 'tongue in cheek' comment unlike your rather condescending comments re. intermediate skiers. One would assume that you consider yourself to be better than an intermediate skier. wink
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
BCjohnny wrote:
marmalade wrote:

John.

I do think you get it. You hate the place. Fair comment. Opinions are like noses, everyone's got one and they're all different.

But why it took two attempts to convince yourself you hated it I can't work out. Or was it because it was, relatively.................cheap?

Bansko has its place in the ski resort hierarchy. Some people, who would not otherwise afford to go, can, and have a good time. So..........

"As a cheap deal".......... Last time out, Lion hotel (decent food despite what you may have read) 4* HB, flights, trans, lift pass, board carriage, much less than £400. Put £100 spending (2007) and a breeze............ Especially as a fill in between trips to Ca.

Wouldn't buy gear out there. Definately wouldn't buy a property. You'd be a fool to................raving...........

Apres is far better than quite a few "Cen Eur" resorts I've been in.

The gondola queues are well documented, and anyone trying to upload between the times recommended deserves to stand in the melee. Anyone with any sense would come to that conclusion after just a couple of days.

The lift system is state of the art. Main area fed by hi-speed gondola, all main lifts 'cept for two tows at the peak are express quads, with two moving carpet lifts.

Yes the terrain is limited, but no-body's making out otherwise. For a beginner/improver/imtermediate, it's a good area to go from a tuition/costs/slopes/lifts perspective. My boardings none too shabby and I can still have a good time there.

Oh, and yes, there's "old" Bansko, just happens to be a World Heritage Site, for some reason. With some genuinely old, intersting, buildings and the biggest church outside Sofia.

I'm not one of those "Bulgaria must be good 'cause it's cheap" types, and the country has many "issues". And at the moment they seem to actively trying to price themselves above their niche. It's not on my radar at the moment, but should the situation require it, I have no problem going back to Bansko.

The OP asked for info, not to be told three times he was wasting his time. I'm sure he is quite capable of coming to that conclusion himself.

And you are quite right, I have been to some "crappy" places.............Grand Valira, La Thuile, Chantemerle...........

John.
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
It was a 'tongue in cheek' comment unlike your rather condescending comments re. intermediate skiers. One would assume that you consider yourself to be better than an intermediate skier. wink

You haven't understood what I was saying, I wasn't condescending towards intermediate skiers - just the ones who take minimal lessons and then spend the rest of their lives sliding/scraping their way over the mountain and then bragging about how much mileage they do and telling great stories when no where near their skis. Always very funny overhearing tales of high adrenaline escapades in mountain restaurants and then seeing the people ski off like a bag of spanners.

Mollerski, just a few of your quotes...

Mollerski wrote:
The food is mostly cold, greasy muck. The people are generally horrible, it's not actually that cheap considering how inferior the whole experience is. The skiing is very, very limited with an up to 2hr gondola queue at peak periods. As for buying gear? Forget it! The genuine stuff will be expensive.

Food - can be hit and miss depending on where you went. If you're a veggie you're f**ked, if not there's some great places to eat - ask the locals in the know. 2hr gondola - I've heard that too, but then again queues are not unique to Bansko; I've queued for over an hour at the bottom of the Medran and 40mins to get up Mont Fort. Answer is don't ski during peak holidays.

Mollerski wrote:
It won't just be the 'weather' that'll be 'rubbish'.

Nice positive vibes for someone who is looking forward to their holiday and just asking advice on where to buy ski gear!

Mollerski wrote:
All I can say is that you must've been on some very crappy skiing holidays to rate this place at all.

Not condescending at all!

Mollerski wrote:
The miniscule amount of skiing is beginner/intermediate leaning more towards beginner. The whole experience just sucks compared to a decent central European resort.

The miniscule amount of skiing - I'm assuming you're talking about the pistes? Did you not do your research and check the piste maps before you went? Now if you fancied doing a bit of off piste then you can get much more mileage, a quick search on youtube found this...

http://youtube.com/v/d5ewBSJYbQk Notice it was in 2007 - were you out there then? If so I'm really gutted that you had a crap time skiing - the guys on the video looked like they were having a sh*t time too. Laughing

Kind regards from an intermediate hating expert skier Property Mogul from Bansko Toofy Grin

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 6-01-09 21:52; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
bucking bronco wrote:

So you're the one who bought my holding............................. wink

I can stop promoting the place now.

John.
snow conditions
BCjohnny wrote:
So you're the one who bought my holding............................. wink

I can stop promoting the place now.

John.

I've bought up the whole town (for around £10,000) and enjoying my new role as Director of Marketing for the resort - how am I doing? Laughing
ski holidays
£10,000, blimey if what some of the Brit/Eire intermidiots, who viewed apartments while we were out there, told us was true, you'll triple your money in 2 years...........bargain. Falling over themselves to buy 'em they were. Where's the family silver?

John.
ski holidays
Holy s**t bucking bronco, are 4 weeks of lessons really "minimal" to get to intermediate standard?? I've only had 5 ski lessons in my life, I must be really crap!! snowHead
ski holidays
£40 an hour for lessons at the Method Ski/board School, Bansko. How's that for value? rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy