Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone driven to the alps/PDS from Hook of holland? (via germany, switz then france)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I've got a LPG vehicle so the eurotunnel is a no go for me now which is a bummer as I have loads of clubcard deals I can use. I regually drive to the PDS from calais via dover.

I live 20 mins from the harwich ferry crossing to the hook of holland. Autoroute gives it as 650 miles to the PDS driving through holland, germany, switzerland and then to france. Now this is 70 miles more than from calais but what I save in not having to drive to Dover more than makes up for this.

Am I crazy to be thinking this would be a good option?

Anyone care to comment?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Save a fair bit in French Motorway tolls too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not driven through Holland so can't comment, German roads are pretty good but more used than French Autoroutes, Swiss motorways require you to purchase a windscreen sticker to use them but are pretty good.

On the whole I'd say not crazy but perhaps you need to work out the costs of doing the route and teh availability of LPG on route
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I though that but then guessed the germans have a similar thing, plus unless I had a vignette I'd need to avoid the swizz motorways.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LPG availability isn't a biggy. If I have to drive on petrol it's fine as there isn't the huge saving on alternate fuels that there used to be (unless you have a bulk storage tank at home like I do but towing a 1600L tank isn't an option here).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Easy peasy - have done similar myself, from the south of The Netherlands, down through Germany (Bitburg), Mulhouse, Basel, Geneva...

Vignette was 28 euros a few years ago I think & because you're only on the French toll roads a little cheap that way too. LPG is readily available here.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've driven from Rotterdam a couple of times with no problems.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jayc, did Kaprun to Rotterdam summer 07 and was a doddle (an 11 hour doddle admittedly). Was in France this summer and noticed how expensive the tolls were compared to 2006, when we last drove in France. Autobahns are fantastic but do get very clogged (no Dutch pun intended) up - especially compared to French motorways.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LPG is extremely no problem in Holland, no problem in germany, big problem in Switzerland and no problem in france.

Your route is a route well tested by many dutch. the other half go belgium, luxemburg, france.

From the west many prefer the luxemburg route, as its slightly faster; but I think costwise Germany is cheaper due to toll.

Swiss vignette is 40 swiss franc. 29 euro's yesterday at the ANWB (dutch AA)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank's for the replies. Defo worth considering then. Am thinking maybe an over night ferry waking up fresh for a nice daytime drive.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jayc wrote:
Thank's for the replies. Defo worth considering then. Am thinking maybe an over night ferry waking up fresh for a nice daytime drive.

This is what my parents often do.
With both of them sharing the driving I think they left the port in Holland around 8-9am and arrived in Hintertux at 6-7pm
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jayc wrote:

I have done the Hull-Rotterdam ferry twice and the Hull-Zebbrugge ferry once. I find I sleep very well after a good meal and a few beers and wake up ready for the drive. I would certainly recommend the overnight ferry option as it's a very relaxing start and end to a holiday. Cool I don't know about the Harwich ferries though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy