Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Picturesque resorts?

Poster: A snowHead
hey everyone, can you all tell me which resorts are seen are the more Picturesque/beautiful and which ones are more of the huge modern soulless resorts? looking through brochures etc they are all made out to be stunningly beautiful but i know they arent i.e. soldeu. la thuile and fernie i wouldnt exactly call pretty places but they are the only resorts ive been to so i dont know any different. any tips on the more pretty resorts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shapes, Aplbach is the best I've ever seen...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zermatt Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
paulio wrote:
Zermatt Smile
Seconded, but I haven't been to Alpbach.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zermatt, Wengen and IMHO Murren are all quite picturesque in their own way, however in general you go to the resort for the scenery and all 3 of these have fantastic vistas, whilst I prefer Wengen there is something incredibly dramatic about the Matterhorn and it should be seen at some point by everyone who likes mountains, The Jungfrau is almost a place of worship for the Japanese and I can understand why however in their case it's because they are following in the footsteps of the Emperor who once wrote something along the lines of "A mountain as holy as Mt Fuji" or some such similar nonsense after he visited there as a young man
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shapes, Lech viewed from Oberlech is stunning. Maria Alm (although only been in summer) is another Austrian beauty. Not been to Grindelwald but think that the scenery there looks amazing. As far as ugly goes - La Plagne has got to be the ugliest resort I've been to.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
now im guessing because these resorts are the best to look at etc it also means they will be very very very busy?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf,
Quote:

Wengen and IMHO Murren are all quite picturesque in their own way
Indeedy, I love them.

Quote:

The Jungfrau is almost a place of worship for the Japanese and I can understand why however in their case it's because they are following in the footsteps of the Emperor who once wrote something along the lines of "A mountain as holy as Mt Fuji" or some such similar nonsense after he visited there as a young man
Blimey, is that right? Explains the special hired trains up the mountain just for the Japanese - the most bizzare sight!

boabski, the scenery around Grindelwald is lovely, but the town itself is nothing special and oppressively overshadowed, IMV, by the Eiger. Zermatt is dominated by the Matterhorn too, but somehow it's not oppressive, you just want to put out your hand and touch it. (It sometimes seems as though you could do that.)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cortina D'Ampezzo, in its own strange way...
Saas Fee.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
France has a reputation for high altitude concrete monstrosities but there are a few resorts that sprung out of traditional mountain villages and that have resisted over-development. Megeve, St gervais and Samoens are my favourites.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Saas Fee is a pretty little town and so is Kitzbuhel, Ortisei in Val Gardena is nice too. Les Menuires is so ugly it's funny!

shapes, not necessarily - there's a play off between the attractiveness of the resort, the accessibility of the skiing and the cost.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FLAINE Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tignes Val Claret Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shapes, not Alpbach - it's pretty small and tucked away...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IMO, Les Arcs (espec 1600, 1800 and 2000), La Plagne, Les Menuires and Tignes are all pretty hideous.

Lake Louise in Canada is beautiful and Zell am Zee are picturesque. Maybe I've got something for lakes!!
snow conditions
shapes, Murren, Zermatt & Albach
snow conditions
Kitzbühel probably has the nicest town of any resort I've been to. Beautiful buildings and a quaint, cobbled centre. However, it is very low so often doesn't have snow at resort level (snow makes everywhere look prettier!)...

Ugly resorts I've been to include La Plagne, Tignes, Avoriaz, Val Thorens, Pas de la Casa and Passo Tonale. The La Daille end of Val D'Isere is rather soulless too, but the main centre is quite nice. Méribel is pretty in parts but also has a smattering of ugly apartment complexes...
snow conditions
I was rather taken by Montier (sp) in Serre Chevalier. Having said that Grindlewald etc was spectacular.
latest report
easiski wrote:
shapes, Murren, Zermatt & Albach

Agree that they are all very scenic Very Happy . When were you in Alpbach, easiski, was it anything to do with the Alpbach ski club which I know trains young British skiers? (much like the DHO in Wengen).
Westendorf in Austria is also a pretty village.

In the US I would nominate Telluride - originally a 19th Century mining town in a magnificent box canyon setting. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Cervinia Toofy Grin
ski holidays
stevew, same about Monetier. It's a shame about Villeneuve, because it has some ugly monstrosities of architecture I'm afraid. In what is a beautiful part of the alps.
latest report
Most stunning skiing I have done is in Lake Louise and Zell am See.
snow conditions
Zermatt, Engelberg..
ski holidays
Christopher wrote:
stevew, same about Monetier. It's a shame about Villeneuve, because it has some ugly monstrosities of architecture I'm afraid. In what is a beautiful part of the alps.

We only briefly passed through Villeneuve so not really in a position to comment, is that the one with the little village a little bit up the hill?

I like Monetier because of the old buildings and hot water gutters etc. Very charming.
ski holidays
Zell am See / Kaprun, the view from the top of Kitzsteinhorn glacier, on a clear day, is breathtaking.
latest report
stevew, I don't know whether you're describing Villeneuve.

I love the pretty church, hot baths with the glacier and Ecrins mountains surrounding.
snow report
shapes, Wengen, Murren and Megeve are all chocolate box picturesque. Let us know which one you choose.
snow conditions
steph wrote:
shapes, Wengen, Murren and Megeve are all chocolate box picturesque. Let us know which one you choose.

in order....Murren,Wengen and then Megeve...lol
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weisshorn.. wink
latest report
JT,
You can see it from Zermatt and another valley whose name escapes me.

Bessans in the Haute Maurriene and Vallouise by Puy St Vincent have attractive settings.
Views across the Rhone from Nendaz are good though the resort itself is only average to look at.
The centre of VIlleneuve has some decent bits though thre are some real ugly buildings near the lifts. Nicest village in Serre Che area is Le Casset in my opinion though not really a resort and nearby the Vallee Claree is gorgeous.
snow conditions
T Bar, Some mountain, isn't it... ?
snow report
Well I'm obviously a little biased, my back yard, but the scenery around here is absolutely breath taking. You will not find any of the 'chocolate box' villages here but then you will not find any of the 'concrete monstrosities' either.
ski holidays
Murren...Murren...Murren...Murren
Mürren (1650 m) - a marvellous mountain village, public car free, rich in tradition and originally the home of settlers from the Lötschen Valley in the Valais.Mürren has 450 inhabitants and a total of 2000 beds in 14 hotels and 250 holiday apartments.

with views like this !
latest report
never been but i heard that meribel is the most picturesque of the 3v
snow report
Arosa, but avoid it during the first week of January wink

http://www.arosa.ch/img/i_galerie/at_wi/pages/Fackelabfahrt%20weisshorn.htm
ski holidays
JT,
Quote:

T Bar, Some mountain, isn't it... ?

Yup.

snowforever,
Quote:

never been but i heard that meribel is the most picturesque of the 3v

Prettiest 3V resort is about as meaningful as sexiest teletubbie.
(though if pushed would say Le Praz is the most attractive spot in 3V)
ski holidays
 brian
brian
T Bar wrote:

You can see it from Zermatt and another valley whose name escapes me.

That would be the Turtmanntal ! Little Angel

snow conditions
T Bar, No! It has to be St Martin de Belleville!
ski holidays
I've not been to Murren, but have to most of the others mentioned here; and if I could only ever go to one resort for that alpine experience it would be Zermatt, with no challengers. The town is amazing, but the views on the slopes are indescribable.
ski holidays
Its funny how we all have different views because ive been to Zermatt and didn't think the 'town' (no alpine village) was that special but did like the views though
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy