Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the right ski length

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
they don't feel instable cause probably the speed you have was not terrible........cause if not someone can explain me why in downhill they use 220 skis?????
speed is always something personal........bode miller have different spped than me......not only cause he is better skier than me......but cause the limit speed before fill inconfident for him is higher than mine........and so with big speed him stay relax and use we shake........
like Valentino rossi drive his bike like us ours......but him go f.....faster than us......only cause he is more brave........also the other are able to open the gas.........
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lungostyle, Are you a biker then? If so.. what have you got?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
little tiger, Thankyou, yes it does.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
youngeratheart, Excellent.... I got told off for not writing some explanatory text to go with my diagram... Glad you could understand without
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
little tiger, I'd have loved the explaitory text though. Digressing a little from the origional post, apologies, Comprex sugested I have a ski with no more than 72mm waist, not sure why though is because i am light (48 kg)?

As a general rule of thumb does it maen that the tighter the radius the more advanced the ski or am I making ridiculus assumptions.

thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I use the comprex method to choose ski length. For me that usually means the longest stock length available (6"1' 85kg). I also grew up on 2m+ skis, so never had a problem with modern "long" skis. They all feel pretty compact.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
youngeratheart, If you look back on the previous page Fastman explained about radius...

In general the radius determines the type of usefulness of the ski... Just as you have a carving knife and a paring knife and a chefs knife and a fish knife and a steak knife and a bread and butter knife.... not one all purpose knife(generally)... So you pick your tool based on what is most suitable for the skiing you will do...

A World Cup Racer will have a slalom ski of around 12m radius... Giant Slalom ski of 23m radius Super Giant Slalom ski larger radius again and downhill skis with really large radius...

You cannot clean carve a turn LARGER than the radius of the ski... you can clean carve smaller size by tilting the ski up on edge- more angle gives you smaller turn... but of course this is also limited....

Want to ski turns outside the clean carve limits - you need to do something other than carve.... (or inside the limits if you do not want to carve)

Waist width... in powder and deep snow (ie off-piste) the wider the ski the larger the surface area you have to "float on" .... So there i a benefit to a wider ski...
Like everything else in life there is also a drawback... Your foot is in the middle of the ski(side to side)... if you want to dig the edge in (ie on firmer snow) when turning, then you need to tip the ski... and to have it not skid you wnat your weight balanced mostly over the inside edge of your outside foot... On a wider ski the ski needs to be tipped farther over to get the edge into the snow... this is obviously tricky when learning...

So in order to let you feel the response from the ski and learn to use the ski Comprex is suggesting a narrower(than some) ski ... also as he is guessing you will not be doing a lot of off-piste skiing and do not need really fat skis for extra float... (also you are light and need less float when you do)

As an example - I'm 5'2.5" and I mostly ski a GS race ski (as I like long fast turns)... this ski has a radius of >21m and is 63mm wide at the waist... it is 176cm long... On this ski I do not float much off-piste - I'm skiing in the snow! In order to do tight turns though I need to work a bit more than on my slalom skis(12m)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
little tiger, I have just posted a new topic cos I dont want to hijack this one.

Thankyou so much for all your help. I read a very lengthy post about carving. I now think if I want to ski as often as I want to, I shall never be able to afford enough lessons to achieve this skill. I am not saying I dont want to learn to ski better but realistically at 45 I dont feel as if I need to go any faster, would like a bit more control at the speed I am at and take on any black not just the odd bit here and there. I am happy on piste and dont have any current plans to leave it for the powder.

So in a nutshell should I be looking at carvers? will they be wasted on me? Sorry here I go again better leaving the subject. whoops.

Just re read Fastmans earlier post. Makes alot of sense. I think what I need is a ski I can just learn to make it dance to any tune. Like Little tiger can with her GS,s. Perhaps I just need to win the lottery!!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The right length of ski is: The length suggested by the Manufacturer, then up one.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, thankyou for retuning this thread to its roots. Please can you check the post re heel plates?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i'm 5'4 woman, 9stone. i use 169. so you are def getting them too short mate.

my bloke is 6ft skinny 12st, uses 186
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not only is 170 the right length for an all around general purpose mostly on piste ski for someone of your weight Smile, but according to my research the AMC 76 comes in five different lenghts, with 170 being right smack in the middel. This tells me that they designed the ski to be 170 cm long and compromised the other lengths. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy